New Build, new key word.

roth79

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2005
Ok, here is the deal, I have been reading alot in the last few weeks trying to figure out what to do. I have always bought Dell comps and a few years shot with no upgrades, so I beleive I have waken up and its time to build. I think with enough reading, patients and guru's like you guys I can do this.

Not a gamer, maybe if syatme would I might play, juts to see the graphics, for the most part DVD burns and copies, FTA recievers and sat stuff. Play a little with graphics but nothing to deep. I want a system that I can expand later, at least swap a board and or cpu to keep up with the times, (I now have a dell 500!!!) Yea I know. Well that is whay I am here.

I have read and am considering

AMD64 x2 3800+
ABIT AN8 Ultra
Zalman Cooler, Model??? It was suggested.
6800 GS video card, ( told that was a decent starter board)
Corsair 2 x 512 (400)
OCZ powersupply, again suggested?
antec 180. The one thing I have narrowed down!!! I believe it has 3 fans built in, I dont know if I need another one or not?

Ok let I am open for suggestions I will spend $800 to $2000 or so give or take, I need something done. I do understand that I could very well exceed $2000 with different configs, but I dont need a smoker for gamers as I dont play them.

I am real confused on the choices, if I am not gaming and a system that wont be shot in a year os so.

Any help is appreciated as I am ready to build away or shoul I say attempt.

Thanks for any advise,

Roth79

pickxx

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2004
YOu only really need a AMD 3200+....
A cheap skt939 board.....chaintech VNF4
1 gig ram.....DDR400 value RAM
cheap vid card....6600
quality but low powered power supply 300-350W enermax or fortroon source
your case is fine....
you dont need a cpu cooler unles syou are going to OC.....stock is great

All that i listed should come to about 800bucks.
have fun

roth79

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2005
Thanks for the reply, AMD 3200 + about $199? Thats enough, I dont need the X2?

That motherboard will be ok?

No cooler I assume I should buy the boxed 3200 with the factory fan and heatsink?

I do need a hardrive also and I believe all you stated is upogradeable later with another board and processor?

Thanks for the advise and response,

roth79

pickxx

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2004
you dont need an X2 unless you are doing things that will use it....

that motherboard is good

All parts will have some upgradable lifespan....as much as any other parts.

Take the money you saved and send me some...lol

roth79

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2005
Thanks for the help It is appreciated, as for the cooling for the cpu, get the boxed fan? Will that suffice. As for the rest MB, hell I am scared that sounds to cheap, am I going to small?? Is there video built in or do I need a card?

I have read lots of uyour posts so you are da man. THAMKS and advise, any HD reccomendations?

I do have a sony dvd burner and a floppy.

Thanks,

roth79

pickxx

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2004
The Chaintech mobo is good....you want a seperate card because onboard video sucks....

Cooling, the cpu retail kit comes with everything you need.

HDD.....the cheapest GB/$ you can find from Seagate or WD
usually its right at 250GB drives that are the cheapest.....as long as they have 8mb of cache you are good to go.

IDE or SATA doesn't matter to you....get the much cheaper IDE