Sign in with
Your question

Building a new System, Mobo and CPU advice

Last response: in CPUs
November 28, 2005 8:45:11 PM

I'm looking into building a new system in the $1100 dollar range without monitor, speakers, etc. To this end, I think AMD 3700+ processor, ASUS A8N-SLI Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce4 SLI ATX AMD Motherboard, and 6800GS would be the best value. What's the general consensus about that? Would I do better with a 3500+ and a different card? I've also decided on a 450W power supply--is that sufficient?

The system won't be OCed, and will be used for various tasks, including some gaming, light video and photo editing, and light programming in Visual Studio.

Any advice or comments would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
November 29, 2005 12:01:06 AM

If you are set on an asus board, get the premium edition. They are the only one in the A8N series worth recommending.
The 3500 with a 7800 gfx card will be better for gaming, the other uses would benefit slightly from the faster chip. Get the 7800.
November 29, 2005 12:08:56 AM

Yeah, I'm definitely going to go with the premium. It was an oversight to not go with it eventually.

As for the card, I won't be gaming or doing a lot of media editing with it that much, and that card is awfully expensive. :oops: 

Will 450w be enough to power this and 1GB of Corsair RAM?

Thanks again.
Related resources
November 29, 2005 12:26:47 AM

ditch the overpriced asus, get an epox, and you get waaay more cash for a much better gfx card
November 29, 2005 12:30:45 AM

You can scan through posts for the past month and see lots of suggestions to this sort of question. Your choices are fine. Personally, I wouldn't go with ASUS and I wouldn't get an SLI board. You most likely will never use the SLI option. A very good board that is a best value choice and also overclocks very well is the EPOX 9NPA+Ultra. You shouldn't say you won't overclock. I'd get the 3500+ and overclock it conservatively to 2.4GHz. It is easy and fun. My 3500+ is running cool at 2.5 right now. Spend the money saved on a better video card, though the 6800 GS is very good and probably the best value right now. Or get more RAM. Or buy a new game. And yes, 450 watts from a quality PS is plenty.
November 29, 2005 3:53:12 AM

A 450 watt psu will be fine. To be on the safe side, get a fortron, enermax, or other name brand unit.
November 30, 2005 1:38:59 AM

Does the 3700+ need a CPU cooler for it, or will be alright using the case fans? If it needs one, which one?
November 30, 2005 1:42:17 AM

Quote:
Does the 3700+ need a CPU cooler for it, or will be alright using the case fans? If it needs one, which one?

All modern CPU's need cooling. Just get a retail chip since AMD stock cooling works good enough.
November 30, 2005 5:51:08 PM

whats the advantage over the different asus models?

I was going for a A8N-E Nforce4 ... could not see worth spending the extra £50 for the prenium. I am not bothered with SLI. I am buying from Novatech, its close by so they have a limited selection. www.novatech.co.uk

Woody
November 30, 2005 5:56:34 PM

Features, mostly. In this generation of Asus boards all but the Premium are said to overclock like crap, while the premium is the good OCer.

Mike.
November 30, 2005 6:43:42 PM

From personal experience Abit and Asus are pretty good bets. Gigabyte is alright and epox is fine.

Enermax PSU's are very good and i recommend them.

Stay away from SLI if you can. Waste of money really. Try and get a non-SLI board. They arn't necassary and cost more.

your processor choice seems fine and 450watt Enermax would be good or something similar in watts.

good luck =)

Quote:
I'm looking into building a new system in the $1100 dollar range without monitor, speakers, etc. To this end, I think AMD 3700+ processor, ASUS A8N-SLI Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce4 SLI ATX AMD Motherboard, and 6800GS would be the best value. What's the general consensus about that? Would I do better with a 3500+ and a different card? I've also decided on a 450W power supply--is that sufficient?

The system won't be OCed, and will be used for various tasks, including some gaming, light video and photo editing, and light programming in Visual Studio.

Any advice or comments would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
November 30, 2005 6:49:19 PM

Buy the retail version of the processor. DO NOT buy OEM. The retail version comes with a stock fan. And yes you MUST absolutly put in a CPU heatsink&Fan. It won't turn on otherwise for most newer boards - if it does turn on it'll either burn out or shut off after a few seconds.

Quote:
!