command prompt opens for a split second

I have just eliminated two viruses from my daughter's computer. She is
running Windows XP with service pack 1. I can't access the Internet even tho
my wireless netowork icon says the connection strength is 'excellent.' To
try and address the network issue, I went to START -> run -> cmd, and the
black screen flashes on for about 2 seconds, then disappears.

I read earlier messages about this problem and tried the "cmd /k netstart"
with no success, then ran a search, found two cmd.exes, but neither one opens
for more than a split second. In command prompt properties, the target reads
"%systemroot%\system32\cmd.exe" and I changed the start line to "C:|" Still
split-second black screen.

Any suggestions on what to try next? I can, by the way, open the command
prompt in safe mode.
4 answers Last reply
More about command prompt opens split second

    You can run a free online antivirus check at Trendmicro
    http://housecall.trendmicro.com

    Also at Trendmicro you can download and run their SYSCLEAN package.

    See PA Bear's notes on Sysclean from TrendMicro.
    Scanning with SYSCLEAN Robear's way
    http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php­?t=10610

    Run Sysclean in Safe mode. Also in Safe mode, I'd suggest running XP's System File Checker.
    Place your XP CD in the CDROM drive. (If setup pops-up just close (exit) that window).
    From XP menus, select "Command Prompt". (or from Run menu, type
    CMD <enter>

    in the command prompt window type
    SFC /SCANNOW <enter>

    That would get System File Checker running, and recheck your versions of Windows system files

    --
    Maurice N
    MVP Windows - Shell / User

    Mcoste wrote:
    > I have just eliminated two viruses from my daughter's computer. She
    > is running Windows XP with service pack 1. I can't access the
    > Internet even tho my wireless netowork icon says the connection
    > strength is 'excellent.' To try and address the network issue, I
    > went to START -> run -> cmd, and the black screen flashes on for
    > about 2 seconds, then disappears.
    >
    > I read earlier messages about this problem and tried the "cmd /k
    > netstart" with no success, then ran a search, found two cmd.exes, but
    > neither one opens for more than a split second. In command prompt
    > properties, the target reads "%systemroot%\system32\cmd.exe" and I
    > changed the start line to "C:|" Still split-second black screen.
    >
    > Any suggestions on what to try next? I can, by the way, open the
    > command prompt in safe mode.

    P.S. Until normal mode of XP is fully normal, you can use "SAFE mode with Networking" to access the internet.
    As the pc is first booting up, tap & repeat tapping the F8 Function key --- to get selective bootup choices.
    Select Safe Mode with Networking.

    --
    Maurice N
    MVP Windows - Shell / User

    Mcoste wrote:

    > I have just eliminated two viruses from my daughter's computer. She is
    > running Windows XP with service pack 1. I can't access the Internet even tho
    > my wireless netowork icon says the connection strength is 'excellent.' To
    > try and address the network issue, I went to START -> run -> cmd, and the
    > black screen flashes on for about 2 seconds, then disappears.
    >
    > I read earlier messages about this problem and tried the "cmd /k netstart"
    > with no success, then ran a search, found two cmd.exes, but neither one opens
    > for more than a split second. In command prompt properties, the target reads
    > "%systemroot%\system32\cmd.exe" and I changed the start line to "C:|" Still
    > split-second black screen.
    >
    > Any suggestions on what to try next? I can, by the way, open the command
    > prompt in safe mode.
    use the free version , also works with xp64
    excellent product

    I'll give avast a try. Thanks.

    "atec" wrote:

    > Mcoste wrote:
    >
    > > I have just eliminated two viruses from my daughter's computer. She is
    > > running Windows XP with service pack 1. I can't access the Internet even tho
    > > my wireless netowork icon says the connection strength is 'excellent.' To
    > > try and address the network issue, I went to START -> run -> cmd, and the
    > > black screen flashes on for about 2 seconds, then disappears.
    > >
    > > I read earlier messages about this problem and tried the "cmd /k netstart"
    > > with no success, then ran a search, found two cmd.exes, but neither one opens
    > > for more than a split second. In command prompt properties, the target reads
    > > "%systemroot%\system32\cmd.exe" and I changed the start line to "C:|" Still
    > > split-second black screen.
    > >
    > > Any suggestions on what to try next? I can, by the way, open the command
    > > prompt in safe mode.
    > use the free version , also works with xp64
    > excellent product

Wireless Command Prompt Wireless Networking