Another stoopid question

LaDeDa

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2005
So what is the nforce4 chipset, and how does it affect me? I'm planning on building a pc (my first build), my specs are:

asus a8n premium
amd athlon 64 x2 3800+ dual core processor
corsair 2x1gb ddr400
geforce 7800 gtx
western digital raptor 74gb 10,000rpm
western digital caviar 250gb 7,200rpm

Thanks for all the help Rob (if you see this)

emogoch

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2005
Think of it this way:

A CPU does one things great: take information that it's given, and process that information to give results. However, it needs a way to get the information to process, and to output that information to a user. Information can come from many sources: Hard drives, keyboards, ethernet connections, mice, etc, and can be outputted to just as many sources (plus your monitor).

With all these sources in input and output (I/O), there needs to be some way to managed them. Putting it on the CPU is a possibility, but what that ends up doing is making them more complex, and as a consequence, less able to do exactly what they were meant to do (compute information as fast as possible). Thus, the management of the I/O devices pushed down a level to the chipset (Intel uses a dual chipset (North and south-bridges, to handle different I/O sources separately).

Different chipsets provide different I/O device options, and offer different levels of performance between the same I/O devices. For example, some chipsets provide a PCIe interface for graphics cards, while others provide an AGP interface. Similarly, this expands to it's SATA capabilities, USB, PCI, network connections, firewire, etc.

On top of this, motherboard manufacturers will decide which features of a chipset they want to use, which they don't, and how to expand beyond what a chipset provides itself (i.e. the nF4 chipset provides 4 SATAII on it, but some high end mobos like the A8B premium add additional SATA ports by bridging a second SATA controller onto the excess PCIe lanes provided by the chipset that aren't used by the PCIe graphics interface).

If you want to know more about them, it's best just googling for information, or even better is to read reviews about chipsets and motherboards. It'll give you a more practical understanding of what they do, and when you come across something you don't understand, research that part.

LaDeDa

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2005
I understand all the other chipsets and what chipsets are. I just didnt know what the nforce4 was. So nforce4 is basically for sataII hds. But I can still have regular sata hds?

fishmahn

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2004
nForce 4 is for PCI-express. SATA II is just another thing that came up about then...

SATA is a lot like IDE in that it is all backward compatible. (even that 10 yr old 40Megabyte hard drive will work on todays' mobos - even though the IDE controller is 5 generations+ newer than the one back then)

Mike.

LaDeDa

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2005
Okay. Let me verify what I understand. nForce4 is the chipset from nvidia, and is the chipset behind pci express so their cards can be used a la sli.