Sign in with
Your question

question about refurb video cards

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
November 28, 2005 11:10:10 PM

hey i know when you buy a refurb video card from newegg you only get a 30 warinty on it. But do you still get a manufactures warinty on it? i know when i bought my new video card it came with a 3 year warinty . how long is the manufacture warrinty on refurbs.
December 3, 2005 4:41:32 AM

you gotta look into it. some just continue the warranty left over. others give another 3 year on it. A refurb card is the same as a new card just that it was bought retail and something went south and the manufacturer had all its problems fixed. So refurb are actually better in someway because all problems are gone. HOWEVER, read the specs carefully and find out what the exactly is!!!!! Most offers no warranty 'cause they are "as-is" items. If it doesn't say anything, you are taking a risk.
December 5, 2005 4:45:05 PM

Actually, I thought a lot of the refub cards were returns. This might not be defective and fixed, but simply didn't overclock well enough and buyer was willing to pay restock fee.

Even when they are 'fixed' refurbs, often the 'fix' is pretty crappy. It's just enough to get it running again, and usually no where near as good as before it broke.

So usually buying a refurb is worse than buying new.

And most of the time refurbs have no warranty to my knowledge.

That's been my experience anyway. Granted, this is in all products, not just video cards, so maybe there's a difference there.
Related resources
December 6, 2005 12:04:12 AM

Each seller is different for waranty but most do not give any...

Refurb usually works well .

overclocking wise it depends of the model and kind of mem on it.

buying a refurb is shurly worse than buying new but they are much much cheaper.
December 6, 2005 1:05:53 PM

i just got a Dell 2405FPW monitor that was a refub. Super quality, not one dead pixel and I get the full 3 year warrenty. So you can see, not all refubs are bad. 8)
a b U Graphics card
December 6, 2005 2:54:31 PM

It will depend on the manufacturer. Newegg offers just a 14 day warranty on refurbs. Some companies like ABIT just seem to base the warranty on the SN of the card and it's manuafactured date. Others like ANtec want to see the receipt and base their rma policy on the date it was bought. Antec knows the R at the end of the Newegg product # is for refurb and they will not honor any warranty. Abit replaced a refurb GF4Ti4200 basically because the cards had no even been out as long as the warranty time, so no questions were asked; they just repalced it. Turns out the card they replaced it with only last about a year for me without OC'in, but that's another story.
!