%date% and %time% variables in BAT file

Hello,

I have a BAT file that, among other things, writes entries to a log file
using %date% and %time% variables. On XP it works OK, but on NT4 those
variables don't return any value at all. Is this the way it supposed to be?
If so, how can I obtain date and time values on NT?

TIA

Never mind, problem solved.