Here's my strange situation

Greg

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

This may or may not be an NT problem, but I am having a
very strange problem.

I am running NT 4.0 SP6a Workstation on a LAN, Norton AV
2002 (with the latest updates), Internet Explorer 6 SP1
and Outlook Express (with all of the latest patches), and
WordPerfect 8. Only Norton starts upon boot.

I have to disable Norton to use WordPerfect. (If I don't,
as soon as I try to open a file, Norton starts using 96+%
of the CPU and everything stops. I can use Task Manager
to stop WordPerfect, which is "not responding" and clear
that situation.) With Norton disabled and using
WordPerfect, sometimes (but not always) all of my words
are underlined in red as if to indicate an incorrect
spelling. If I exit (close) WordPerfect when it is doing
this, I will get an Exception Access Violation:
(0xc0000005, Address: 0x36a01ac5.

Sometimes (but, again, not always) when I open Outlook
Express to get my email, all of emails are blank (both old
and newly received ones). (I received an email that had
a .jpg file as the background and text over the
background. When I am having this problem, there is no
text, and the .jpg file is now an attachment.)

Now here is the strange part. These two situations always
happen at the same time, never separately. But I don't
have to have used both programs for it to happen.
Sometimes I don't use WordPerfect for days, but the
situation occurs in Outlook Express. (But if I open
WordPerfect, then there is a problem there also.)

The problem does not go away if I reboot after
reconfiguring Norton not to startup upon boot. I have
reinstalled IE and OE but nothing changed. I have checked
all of the setting in IE and OE and they are correct
(Windows European ISO, etc.). I can pick up my email by
going to the mail server (via the internet) without any
problems.

Does anyone have any suggestions? (I have already
considered the three pounds of high explosives packed
tightly in the case option.)

Thanks.

Have you checked with Norton for any fixes?

--
Scott Harding
MCSE, MCSA, A+, Network+

"Greg" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> This may or may not be an NT problem, but I am having a
> very strange problem.
>
> I am running NT 4.0 SP6a Workstation on a LAN, Norton AV
> 2002 (with the latest updates), Internet Explorer 6 SP1
> and Outlook Express (with all of the latest patches), and
> WordPerfect 8. Only Norton starts upon boot.
>
> I have to disable Norton to use WordPerfect. (If I don't,
> as soon as I try to open a file, Norton starts using 96+%
> of the CPU and everything stops. I can use Task Manager
> to stop WordPerfect, which is "not responding" and clear
> that situation.) With Norton disabled and using
> WordPerfect, sometimes (but not always) all of my words
> are underlined in red as if to indicate an incorrect
> spelling. If I exit (close) WordPerfect when it is doing
> this, I will get an Exception Access Violation:
> (0xc0000005, Address: 0x36a01ac5.
>
> Sometimes (but, again, not always) when I open Outlook
> Express to get my email, all of emails are blank (both old
> and newly received ones). (I received an email that had
> a .jpg file as the background and text over the
> background. When I am having this problem, there is no
> text, and the .jpg file is now an attachment.)
>
> Now here is the strange part. These two situations always
> happen at the same time, never separately. But I don't
> have to have used both programs for it to happen.
> Sometimes I don't use WordPerfect for days, but the
> situation occurs in Outlook Express. (But if I open
> WordPerfect, then there is a problem there also.)
>
> The problem does not go away if I reboot after
> reconfiguring Norton not to startup upon boot. I have
> reinstalled IE and OE but nothing changed. I have checked
> all of the setting in IE and OE and they are correct
> (Windows European ISO, etc.). I can pick up my email by
> going to the mail server (via the internet) without any
> problems.
>
> Does anyone have any suggestions? (I have already
> considered the three pounds of high explosives packed
> tightly in the case option.)
>
> Thanks.

Greg

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

I could not find anything at Symantec. The AV includes
all of the latest updates. (It does appear that the 2002
version is no longer supported.)

I am not sure this is related to the AV, but knowing that
AVs have a way of screwing lots of things up, I can't say
it isn't related. The problem occurs regardless if the AV
is running or not.

Greg

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

A strange problem deserves a strange solution.

After running chkdsk, a full virus scan, Spybot-S & D and
getting no changes, I reinstalled (actually just validated
the files) WordPerfect. Outlook Express in now working
fine and I can read my emails.

However, I have decided to blow this box up anyway -- just
because I can.

Calvin

Hi Greg,

I have the suspicion that one of the programmes you listed as 'not working and
playing well with the others' has replaced one or more core OS .dll files with
their own 'version', causing the strange effects you have noted.

If you can be bothered to invest the fairly serious block of time that would be
required, to ultimately assure that the box is stable, it may be neccessary to
do a complete reload of the machine - and this time use an auditing tool like
'FileImg' from the resource kit to see 'who is doing what' to the system. I
usually always do a 'snapshot' of my \WinNT and sub-folders before installing
ANY new software on a system for the first time - and then snapshot it again
after the install and verify that the software hasn't 'fiddled' with anything it
has no right to be touching - often it has, particularly MS apps are notorious
for it.

Unfortunately, programmes like MS Outlook and IE will probably 'fiddle' with
MANY core OS files - in case you haven't noticed by now, Microsoft have the
opinion that because you installed their OS on your machine, they now OWN your
machine, and have the right to stuff with whatever they like, whenever they
like, without even so much as a 'by your leave' !

This is one of many reasons (security holes being another) why programmes like
IE and Outlook are totally BANNED on my machine.

Calvin.

Greg

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Thanks for your comments, Calvin. I understand them and I
have "banned" several programs from ever being installed
on my box. (AOL is on the top of the list.)

Actually, I am in the process of "retiring" this old box -
a Pentium Pro 180 - but I need to keep it running until I
can get the new one built, loaded and test driven.

Unfortunately, with the complexities of the new OS's and
apps and their interdependablities, keeping track of which
is doing what to which is getting much harder. While I
don't long to return to the DOS days, there is something
to be said for its simplicity.

Thanks, again. Peace.

Calvin

Hi Greg,

I agree wholeheartedly. I'm not looking forward to the day when NT4 has to be
retired here. Unfortunately, I know the day is coming. Microsoft, in conjunction
with several other software and hardware vendors, are on a quite concerted
campaign to force obsolecense onto us - which I think is more than a bit RUDE!

A couple of recent examples I have found (repeated from a post I made here a
week or so ago):

1. Real networks - they now want you to install RealOne player - over my DEAD
and ROTTING body!! Besides being rumoured to be full of spyware it has massive
bloat, requires IE 5+, and the latest RealOne player version 2.0 does not even
work on NT4. The reason cited for requiring the latest version of their player
is that RealPlayer8 (smaller, reasonably stable, worked well under NT4 and
didn't need IE) can't play back the new RealVideo9 format.

REALITY: Continue using RealPlayer8. Find somebody who has RealOnePlayer
installed and borrow a copy of the updated codecs suppled with it, and copy them
back into your codecs folder on RealPlayer8 (you'll find said files in the
folder 'system boot disk'\program files\common files\Real\codecs) - result,
RealVideo9 format now plays just fine - the reason for the upgrade is a total SHAM.

2. Apple QuickTime. According to Apple the last version of QT for NT4 is
Quicktime V6.1, and later versions ie: the current V6.51 will not function or
install - this is just plain deliberate mis-information being circulated by
Apple. I've installed V6.51 on multiple NT4 machines - no problems to report,
functions perfectly. I'd be interested to see how much money Microsoft payed
Apple to assist them in their 'your NT4 OS is toooooo old - upgrade' campaign :-(

Calvin.

Just another point for you to consider, I have found an issue with IE6 on
NT4 and in my organization we do not allow that combo. If the box is running
NT4 we only use IE5.5 on it.
Remember, IE6 gets into and is used for "everything" not just browsing the
web.
Perhaps you could try removing it?
--
Yor Suiris
Remove the kNOT to reply.

> Thanks for your comments, Calvin. I understand them and I
> have "banned" several programs from ever being installed
> on my box. (AOL is on the top of the list.)
>
> Actually, I am in the process of "retiring" this old box -
> a Pentium Pro 180 - but I need to keep it running until I
> can get the new one built, loaded and test driven.
>
> Unfortunately, with the complexities of the new OS's and
> apps and their interdependablities, keeping track of which
> is doing what to which is getting much harder. While I
> don't long to return to the DOS days, there is something
> to be said for its simplicity.
>
> Thanks, again. Peace.

Calvin

Hi Yor,

What does IE6 do to NT4 ? (I know that is aksing how long is a piece of string
? :) )

More specifically, what issue did you find that was serious enough to warrant a
total ban on it ? As I've said earlier IE (any incarnation) is toally BANNEd
here and always will be. Most of my clients are the same - result, we enjoy near
unprecedented stability and security :)

Calvin.

Main Reason was that IE 6 made the NTs run much slower, more program
crashes, as well as printing dynamically created documents from with in IE6.

"Calvin" <nospam@spamcop.net> wrote in message
> Hi Yor,
>
> What does IE6 do to NT4 ? (I know that is aksing how long is a piece of
string
> ? :) )
>
> More specifically, what issue did you find that was serious enough to
warrant a
> total ban on it ? As I've said earlier IE (any incarnation) is toally
BANNEd
> here and always will be. Most of my clients are the same - result, we
enjoy near
> unprecedented stability and security :)
>
> Calvin.

Calvin

Thanks for the info Yor,

In other words IE 6 is up to Micorsoft's normal standard of code writing for
this product :) and as I suspects, get's it's 'tenticles' into everything on
the machine that it should have no right to touch !

Calvin.

Right..