can't rename url.dll

The following message pops up frequently:
The procedure entry point ReinitializeCriticalSection could not
be located in the dynamic link library KERNEL32.dll

I have seen the instruction to rename the url.dll to url.old and then
install the url.dll from the NT CD. However, when I try to rename
url.dll to url.old I get a message that I can't rename it because Windows
is using it. What can I do?

This article may help.

;228930]http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;[LN];228930

--
Regards,

Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

"Ann White" wrote:
The following message pops up frequently:
The procedure entry point ReinitializeCriticalSection could not
be located in the dynamic link library KERNEL32.dll

I have seen the instruction to rename the url.dll to url.old and then
install the url.dll from the NT CD. However, when I try to rename
url.dll to url.old I get a message that I can't rename it because Windows
is using it. What can I do?

Thanks, Dave. I downloaded the file. However, when I tried to open
the .exe file I got an error message: file/i386/ntkernlmp could not be
loaded. Error code is 32768.
Please tell me what to do if you can.

Ann

The download may have been corrupt. You might try it again.

--
Regards,

Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

| Thanks, Dave. I downloaded the file. However, when I tried to open
| the .exe file I got an error message: file/i386/ntkernlmp could not be
| loaded. Error code is 32768.
| Please tell me what to do if you can.
|
| Ann

Dave, Thanks. I think I just don't have the command exactly right. I
tried to copy the form given in the download--using the command
prompt, but I get an error message. Would you be able to give me an
example of how I show enter the command? I have the new url.dll on a
floppy and the old one is in C:\Winnt\System32\url.dll.

Ann

Try;
inuse A:\url.dll C:\Winnt\System32\url.dll

--
Regards,

Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

| Dave, Thanks. I think I just don't have the command exactly right. I
| tried to copy the form given in the download--using the command
| prompt, but I get an error message. Would you be able to give me an
| example of how I show enter the command? I have the new url.dll on a
| floppy and the old one is in C:\Winnt\System32\url.dll.
|
| Ann

Thanks, Dave.
I tried that but I got the message
Command line option syntax error. Type command/? For
help.
I guess I don't understand the help. I also tried
C:\tools\inuse.exe a:\url.dll c:\winnt\system32\url.dll
same error. Can you suggest what my work? That
pesky message that pops up is driving us crazy.

Try the registry method in this article.

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=181345

--
Regards,

Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

| Thanks, Dave.
| I tried that but I got the message
| Command line option syntax error. Type command/? For
| help.
| I guess I don't understand the help. I also tried
| C:\tools\inuse.exe a:\url.dll c:\winnt\system32\url.dll
| same error. Can you suggest what my work? That
| pesky message that pops up is driving us crazy.

Of course you'll want to put the replacement file somewhere in a folder on
your hard drive.

--
Regards,

Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

Nothing works! I was going to try the Registry method but the key I
was to edit was not there. I tried the ren command but I got a syntax
error. I tried several variations. I still can't get inuse.exe to work. This
is a nightmare! I would just try to repair the OS but the CD drive isn't
working in this machine. I may try to switch it with another CD drive to
see if it will work. I would sure like an easier method. Please suggest
if you can.

Ann

As in the article you'll need to create the Reg_Multi_Sz string value named
"PendingFileRenameOperations"

--
Regards,

Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

Nothing works! I was going to try the Registry method but the key I
was to edit was not there. I tried the ren command but I got a syntax
error. I tried several variations. I still can't get inuse.exe to work.
This
is a nightmare! I would just try to repair the OS but the CD drive isn't
working in this machine. I may try to switch it with another CD drive to
see if it will work. I would sure like an easier method. Please suggest
if you can.

Ann

Dave,

In the step before that:
the key
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session
Manager

I find everything up to Control--then thre is no Session Manager

I have done some editing in the Registry but it is strictly with step by
step. I know to export the key first, etc., but what do do when I don't
find the exact key? Can you tell me?

Thanks.

Ann

In case anyone else has this type of problem, I want to tell what finally
worked. In task manager, I found the only application running was
Zone Alarm and one of it's files. When I uninstalled Zone Alarm, the
problem was solved. I suspect I had a corrupt copy of Zone Alarm. I
haven't downloaded it again, but I probably will. Anyway, what a relief
to get rid of the original problem. However, I am curious about the
registry key, if anyone can tell me why Session Manager was missing
and what I could have done about that.

Ann

Post the full path of where you were looking.

--
Regards,

Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

In case anyone else has this type of problem, I want to tell what finally
worked. In task manager, I found the only application running was
Zone Alarm and one of it's files. When I uninstalled Zone Alarm, the
problem was solved. I suspect I had a corrupt copy of Zone Alarm. I
haven't downloaded it again, but I probably will. Anyway, what a relief
to get rid of the original problem. However, I am curious about the
registry key, if anyone can tell me why Session Manager was missing
and what I could have done about that.

Ann

HKEY_LOCAL-MACHINE\SYSTEM\CURRENTCONTROLSET\CONTROL

According to the instruction \Session Manager should follow CONTROL
there but it doesn't.

Try looking again. Your system would not start without this key.