P4 D (2.8 GHz) OR (P4 3.4 GHz) with HT

gregg

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2003
I am ordering a Dell system & need help choosing the processor.

For the same money I can either buy a P4 2.8 GHz Dual Core OR a P4 3.4 GHz with Hyper Threading with everything else same.

I will be operating multiple applications ranging from some stock market applications, Word, IE Browsing, Acrobat etc.

Which one should I buy & what are the merits.

I also need help on a dual monitor card.

I want to get a Dual Monitor Card and they are offering 256 MB ATI Radeonx600 PCI Expressx16 with dual VGA monitor support ( Full Height ) This one I know nothing about & I want to use it for displaying 2 charts from one application in 2 seperate monitors. Please comment on this one too.

Thanks
Greg

fishmahn

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2004
The only app you mentioned that needs any CPU power is your stock market stuff. You imply you'll have a few of those apps running at once, which is a good case for the dual core. But.., the HT in the 3.4g may negate the advantage and the 20% speed difference may be worth more than the dual core effect.

Hmmm... flip a coin? If you weren't ordering from Dell, I'd say find something with an A64 X2 3800+. Its head & shoulders above the 2.8 dual, and almost as fast individually as the 3.4g.

If you could get the 830D (3.0ghz) I'd definitely say get that one, but in a couple years the 820D will just be sooooo slow that I'd be more inclined to get the single core.

WAAAAH! :cry: Dell should sell AMD!

That video card will be ok - don't try to play games on it (which it doesn't sound like you are). If you can save a couple bucks and get a 128MB version of it, do that - for what you do the extra VRAM does no good.

Mike.