Brian

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2003

I don't have OE installed and have, as far as I can tell,
completely removed the application, including from the
registry. But, I keep getting prompted to download a
critical update for it from the XP update site. How can
I prevent this? Thanks.

Hi,

Most updates have an option to be hidden (after you migrate to the V5 update
site, this will become more apparent), this is your only avenue. Outlook
Express is an integrated part of the operating system and should not be
removed beyond the option in the Control Panel/Add & Remove/Windows
Components. Whether or not you keep OE, the Windows Update site will
continue to offer any updates deemed critical and not installed on the
system.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"Rick \"Nutcase\" Rogers" <rick@mvps.org> wrote in

> Outlook Express is an integrated part of the operating
> system and should not be removed beyond the option in the Control
> Panel/Add & Remove/Windows Components.

Odd you'd say that when the instructions for removal are on the
Microsoft website. I've removed OE from every version of Windows from
95 on and haven't had any problems so far.