country of origin

Tears_For_Fears

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2005
when i went to the market i found the intel 630 processor made in three different country - china, phillipines and malaysia. The box looks exactly the same, only each one is labeled differently like Made in China.

Is there a difference btn these processors? from my experience china product dont last long. I have two viewsonic monitor one made in china the other malaysia. the malaysian assembles monitor is running 4 years without prob. the chinese one had prob after 2 years.

the chinese made processor is about $10 less. should i buy it?

Teh_Catman

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2005
Personally I think you need to relax. All computers parts (and most items) are made where workers work for nothing. Its has nothing to do with country of origin its all about luck.

Teh_Catman

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2005
Ya and the Taiwan ones taste better. LOL

edit: that wasnt in response to Pictxx

edit again: I suppose my comment works for both posts though.

endyen

Splendid
I may be wrong, but I doubt Intel has a fab in any of those places. The actual die is probably made in the states, just the pins and package are added oversees.
should i buy it?
Only if you need a heater, more than you need a computer chip. The prescott processor line (new P4s) put out a lot of heat, but dont perform very well. An equally priced A64 chip would be a much better choice.

mpjesse

Splendid
Intel has logic fabs in New Mexico (6 miles from my house), Massachusets, Colorado, Oregon, Ireland, Israel, and Dresden Germany. All Pentium 4 dies are made in one of those facilities. The dies are then shipped to forgein countries such as China and Malaysia for packaging (because it's cheaper).

Don't worry about where it's from. Intel has the same quality assurance methods in every fab. Besides, all Pentium processors have a 3 year warranty (in retail packaging).

-mpjesse

Tears_For_Fears

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2005
I bought the chinese made 630 processor, gigabyte GA-915G Duo motherboard and kingston 512Mb pc3200 ram. The system is working fine. But it seems a llittle slower to me than my p4 2.4Ghz 533Mhz bus cpu, with 845 chipset gigabyte mobo and 512 Mb 233 bus ddr kingston.

Don't worry about where it's from. Intel has the same quality assurance methods in every fab. Besides, all Pentium processors have a 3 year warranty (in retail packaging).

-mpjesse

well i want it to last more than 3 years!!! :x

Teh_Catman

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2005
Your P4 2.4ghz was probably a Northwood. Prescotts are barely better and use more power and heat to do it.

If you wanted it to last more than 3 years then you would have done your homework and got a dual core AMD.

EDIT: That wasnt AMD fanboyism. Just in 3 years multicore systems will be a standard and AMD does dual core better. Take a hit today to last longer. Just common sense to me.

mpjesse

Splendid
well i want it to last more than 3 years!!!

It will. Look, I've got a crappy ass old P3 800mhz coppermine still running. Is that good enough for ya? It was made in China. Crashman has one too (I sent it to him years ago).

Stop freaking out over where it's made. It doesn't matter!

If a CPU is going to go bad, it'll do it in the first 10 seconds. Just don't screw around with the voltage 'n crap and you'll have a processor that'll last for 20 damn years.

Sheesh.

Latest posts