SQL 7 TO 2K & WIN NT4 TO WIN2K?

Hi there, I have got a machine running Win NT4.0 Server
SP6a and SQL 7 SP3a. I need to upgrade that to Win2k and
SQL 2k. Could you tell me if I should upgrade the SQL
server first or if I should upgrade the WIn NT4 OS first
on that server?
Or if i should backup the SQL 7 database, uninstall SQL 7
completely, then upgrade to Win2k, then install SQL2000
and restore the databse from backup? Will this work or is
there an easier way for this?

Many thanks,
Hadi.
2 answers Last reply
More about win2k

    Hadi Anwar wrote:

    > Hi there, I have got a machine running Win NT4.0 Server
    > SP6a and SQL 7 SP3a. I need to upgrade that to Win2k and
    > SQL 2k. Could you tell me if I should upgrade the SQL
    > server first or if I should upgrade the WIn NT4 OS first
    > on that server?
    > Or if i should backup the SQL 7 database, uninstall SQL 7
    > completely, then upgrade to Win2k, then install SQL2000
    > and restore the databse from backup? Will this work or is
    > there an easier way for this?
    >
    > Many thanks,
    > Hadi.

    In general, the most reliable and best performing installations are
    clean builds, not upgrades. So, if backing up and restoring is an
    option, I'd say that route will pay off in the long run.

    A gotchya to keep in is the security and access rights set of for the
    db. Sometimes you have to remove users from the sysusers table of the
    db and reset the permissions. There is probably a more elegant way to
    do this, if you ask in the SQL groups, but it's how I handle it.

    hth
    --
    Ricardo M. Urbano
    Microsoft Windows 2000/NT MVP

    Answered in .setup

    --
    Regards,

    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    http://www.microsoft.com/protect

    "Hadi Anwar" <hadi.anwar@consultant.com> wrote in message
    | Hi there, I have got a machine running Win NT4.0 Server
    | SP6a and SQL 7 SP3a. I need to upgrade that to Win2k and
    | SQL 2k. Could you tell me if I should upgrade the SQL
    | server first or if I should upgrade the WIn NT4 OS first
    | on that server?
    | Or if i should backup the SQL 7 database, uninstall SQL 7
    | completely, then upgrade to Win2k, then install SQL2000
    | and restore the databse from backup? Will this work or is
    | there an easier way for this?
    |
    | Many thanks,
    | Hadi.

SQL Backup Servers Windows