SQL 7 TO 2K & WIN NT4 TO WIN2K?

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
August 13, 2004 11:58:16 AM

Hi there, I have got a machine running Win NT4.0 Server
SP6a and SQL 7 SP3a. I need to upgrade that to Win2k and
SQL 2k. Could you tell me if I should upgrade the SQL
server first or if I should upgrade the WIn NT4 OS first
on that server?
Or if i should backup the SQL 7 database, uninstall SQL 7
completely, then upgrade to Win2k, then install SQL2000
and restore the databse from backup? Will this work or is
there an easier way for this?

Many thanks,
Hadi.

More about : sql win nt4 win2k

Anonymous
August 13, 2004 5:01:16 PM

Hadi Anwar wrote:

> Hi there, I have got a machine running Win NT4.0 Server
> SP6a and SQL 7 SP3a. I need to upgrade that to Win2k and
> SQL 2k. Could you tell me if I should upgrade the SQL
> server first or if I should upgrade the WIn NT4 OS first
> on that server?
> Or if i should backup the SQL 7 database, uninstall SQL 7
> completely, then upgrade to Win2k, then install SQL2000
> and restore the databse from backup? Will this work or is
> there an easier way for this?
>
> Many thanks,
> Hadi.

In general, the most reliable and best performing installations are
clean builds, not upgrades. So, if backing up and restoring is an
option, I'd say that route will pay off in the long run.

A gotchya to keep in is the security and access rights set of for the
db. Sometimes you have to remove users from the sysusers table of the
db and reset the permissions. There is probably a more elegant way to
do this, if you ask in the SQL groups, but it's how I handle it.

hth
--
Ricardo M. Urbano
Microsoft Windows 2000/NT MVP