It's almost upgrading time...finally! :-)

Last response: in Video Games
a b U Graphics card
March 5, 2005 1:38:03 PM

More about : upgrading time finally

Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
March 5, 2005 7:55:46 PM

Hi Melissa, Here's a program to tell you everything about your system.
http://www.lavalys.com/products/download.php?pid=1&lang...
Tom

Melissa wrote:

--

Life is a toilet bowl...
With regular flushing it stays clean....

a b U Graphics card
March 5, 2005 11:06:12 PM

I don't know about graphics cards Melissa, but I am amazed that a serious
simmer is using a Celerion whatever value it says on the box. Bin it
immediately and get a proper chip, any other well-known make will do!

Quilljar

Royal Navy Fleet Air Arm Photos 1952-60

http://client.webshots.com/album/204003612QQUuDJ
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
March 5, 2005 11:06:13 PM

Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
March 6, 2005 1:59:32 AM

Good evening Melissa;

"Melissa" <willkayakforfoodREMOVE_THIS@gmx.net> wrote in message

> Hi,
>
> I know I owe someone here a detailed list of add-on scenery and such,
> and I'll get to it as soon as possible, but I've just been so busy
> lately, and I haven't had much time at all to sit here at the
> computer.
>
> Anyway, within the next couple of weeks, I'll finally be able to
> afford to give my computer a couple little gifts...like more RAM and
> a new graphics card. And so, I'll need your assistance in spending a
> little money! :-) I think I'll have about $500 USD to play with at
> this time, but I can be convinced to go a *bit* higher if it would
> make a substantial difference.
>
> I'm not yet sure if I'll be able to deal with the CPU right away, but
> I'll be wanting to increase the RAM from 512 MB to 1 GB, and I'll be
> wanting a new graphics card. Here's what I know of my current
> system:
>
> Motherboard: ASUS P4S533 MX
> CPU: Intel Celeron 2.4 Ghz
> RAM: 512 MB of "some sort" of Kingston RAM
> (is there some program I can run that will tell me exactly what type I
> have at the moment?)
> Graphics card: ASUS/nvidia GeForce2 MX/MX 400 w/64 MB video RAM

Your computer will support up to a 2.6 Ghz CPU and uses an Intel 478
type socket.

> So, regardless of what I can find out about the single stick 512 MB of
> RAM I currently have, can someone recommend the *exact type* that
> would be best? If I have to, I'll be willing to look into getting
> two new 512 MB sticks of RAM if my current RAM type is not the best
> for the job.

The memory modules you need are PC2100/PC2700, 184 pin DDR DIMMs. The
motherboard will accommodate up to 2 Gbytes.

> And then, depending on what's left after the RAM upgrade, can you
> recommend some graphics cards that might work well with this system?
> I know I can't get a "top of the line" card at this point, but I'm
> sure that there must be something better than the one I have that
> won't cost much more than a $300 or so.
>
> Thanks!
>
> - --
> Melissa

http://www.asus.com/support/download/item.aspx?ModelNam...

Cheers,
John
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
March 6, 2005 1:59:33 AM

Hi John,

On Sat, 05 Mar 2005 22:59:32 GMT, you wrote:

> Your computer will support up to a 2.6 Ghz CPU and uses an Intel 478
> type socket.

> The memory modules you need are PC2100/PC2700, 184 pin DDR DIMMs.
> The motherboard will accommodate up to 2 Gbytes.

Thanks! :-)

Okay...I've done a bit of snooping around at newegg.com, and found the
following three items that add up to a total of $550 (includes two
sticks of the 512 MB RAM). Will these work with my machine, and also
work well for fs9?

ATI Radeon X700 PRO Video Card, 256MB DDR, 128-Bit, DVI/TV-Out,
PCI-Express, Model "100-437402" -RETAIL
Specifications:
Chipset/Core Speed: ATI Radeon X700 PRO/420MHz
Memory/Effective Speed: 256MB DDR/860MHz
BUS: PCI-Express
Ports: VGA Out(15 Pin D-Sub) + TV-Out (S-Video/Composite Out) + DVI
Support 3D API: DirectX 9, OpenGL 2.0
Max Resolution@32bit Color: 2048X1536@85Hz
Cable/Accessories: DVI-I to VGA adapter, S-Video cable, Composite
cable, S to AV Adapter, Manual, Driver CD
Retail Box (See pics for details) more info-> N82E16814102414

$219.00

Intel Pentium 4/ 2.66 GHz 533MHz FSB, 1MB L2 Cache Processor -
Retail
Specifications:
Model: Intel Pentium 4
Core: Prescott
Operating Frequency: 2.66GHz
FSB: 533MHz
Cache: L1/12K+16K; L2/1MB
Voltage: 1.287V-1.400V
Process: 90nm
Socket: Socket 478
Multimedia Instruction: MMX, SSE, SSE2, SSE3
Manufacturer Warranty: 3-year MFG
Packaging: Retail box (with Heatsink and Fan) more info->
N82E16819116193

$147.49

Kingston HyperX Series 184 Pin 512MB DDR PC-2700
Specifications:
Manufacturer: Kingston
Speed: DDR333(PC2700)
Type: 184 Pin DDR SDRAM
Error Checking: Non-ECC
Registered/Unbuffered: Unbuffered
Cas Latency: 2-2-2-5-1T
Support Voltage: 2.6V
Bandwidth: 2.7GB/s

$92 (x2 = $184)

- --
Melissa

PGP Public Keys: http://www.willkayakforfood.tk

March 6, 2005 2:36:35 AM

I use this for system read outs.

http://www.cpuid.com/cpuz.php

Fred

"Melissa" <willkayakforfoodREMOVE_THIS@gmx.net> wrote in message
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
March 6, 2005 5:59:39 AM

On Sat, 5 Mar 2005 19:31:47 -0800, Melissa wrote:

> ATI Radeon X700 PRO Video Card, 256MB DDR, 128-Bit, DVI/TV-Out,
> PCI-Express, Model "100-437402" -RETAIL

Well, I recently replaced the FX5200 PCIe card that came with my latest sim
computer (3.2 GHz P4), with this precise card, and my frame rates DOUBLED
instantly... ;)  I now get a rock solid 28-29 fps under even heavy IMC,
100% AI and most sliders at max.

Bill
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
March 6, 2005 7:14:00 AM

> Hi John,
>
> On Sat, 05 Mar 2005 22:59:32 GMT, you wrote:
>
>> Your computer will support up to a 2.6 Ghz CPU and uses an Intel 478
>> type socket.
>
>> The memory modules you need are PC2100/PC2700, 184 pin DDR DIMMs.
>> The motherboard will accommodate up to 2 Gbytes.
>
> Thanks! :-)
>
> Okay...I've done a bit of snooping around at newegg.com, and found the
> following three items that add up to a total of $550 (includes two
> sticks of the 512 MB RAM). Will these work with my machine, and also
> work well for fs9?

> ATI Radeon X700 PRO Video Card, 256MB DDR, 128-Bit, DVI/TV-Out,
> PCI-Express, Model "100-437402" -RETAIL
> Specifications:
> Chipset/Core Speed: ATI Radeon X700 PRO/420MHz
> Memory/Effective Speed: 256MB DDR/860MHz
> BUS: PCI-Express
> Ports: VGA Out(15 Pin D-Sub) + TV-Out (S-Video/Composite Out) + DVI
> Support 3D API: DirectX 9, OpenGL 2.0
> Max Resolution@32bit Color: 2048X1536@85Hz
> Cable/Accessories: DVI-I to VGA adapter, S-Video cable, Composite
> cable, S to AV Adapter, Manual, Driver CD
> Retail Box (See pics for details) more info-> N82E16814102414
>
> $219.00

> Intel Pentium 4/ 2.66 GHz 533MHz FSB, 1MB L2 Cache Processor -
> Retail
> Specifications:
> Model: Intel Pentium 4
> Core: Prescott
> Operating Frequency: 2.66GHz
> FSB: 533MHz
> Cache: L1/12K+16K; L2/1MB
> Voltage: 1.287V-1.400V
> Process: 90nm
> Socket: Socket 478
> Multimedia Instruction: MMX, SSE, SSE2, SSE3
> Manufacturer Warranty: 3-year MFG
> Packaging: Retail box (with Heatsink and Fan) more info->
> N82E16819116193
>
> $147.49

> Kingston HyperX Series 184 Pin 512MB DDR PC-2700
> Specifications:
> Manufacturer: Kingston
> Speed: DDR333(PC2700)
> Type: 184 Pin DDR SDRAM
> Error Checking: Non-ECC
> Registered/Unbuffered: Unbuffered
> Cas Latency: 2-2-2-5-1T
> Support Voltage: 2.6V
> Bandwidth: 2.7GB/s
>
> $92 (x2 = $184)
>
> - --
> Melissa
>
> PGP Public Keys: http://www.willkayakforfood.tk

Melissa: That video card will not work with your computer, as it is a PCI
bus. Your computer has an AGP bus for a video card. (unless your computer
is less than about a year old). A good video card for your machine would be
probably an nVidia 6600 AGP card, which is about the same price as the ATI
card you were looking at. Bill
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
March 6, 2005 7:14:01 AM

Hi Bill,

On Sun, 06 Mar 2005 04:14:00 GMT, you wrote:

> Melissa: That video card will not work with your computer, as it is
> a PCI bus. Your computer has an AGP bus for a video card. (unless
> your computer is less than about a year old). A good video card
> for your machine would be probably an nVidia 6600 AGP card, which
> is about the same price as the ATI card you were looking at.

Eek! This is becoming confusing! :-) I apologize for all the dumb
questions, but I've never shopped for this sort of thing before. Here
are a couple more questions...

I found two nVidia 6600 cards, and one ATI 9600XT card (this one
mainly to compare and ask questions), and now I'm confused about two
aspects of these cards...

1) Is the difference between 128 MB and 256 MB enough to be concerned
with? (the two nVidia cards are 128 MB, and the ATI card is 256
MB). Also, if 256 MB is better, why is the ATI card cheaper?

2) "AGP 8x" and "AGP 4x"... Both nVidia cards say they're "AGP
8x", and the ATI card says "AGP 4x/8x". What's the difference
between "8x" and "4x"?

Anyway, below are the three in question. Could you recommend one of
these over the other two?

Thanks again! :-)

Leadtek nVIDIA GeForce 6600GT Video Card, 128MB GDDR3, 128-Bit,
DVI/HDTV-Out, AGP 8X, Model "A6600 GT TDH" -RETAIL
Specifications:
Chipset/Core Speed: nVIDIA GeForce 6600GT/500MHz
Memory: 128MB GDDR3
BUS: AGP 8X
Ports: VGA Out(15 Pin D-Sub) + HDTV-Out + DVI
Support 3D API: DirectX 9(Shader Model 3.0), OpenGL 1.5
Max Resolution@32bit Color: 2048X1536@85Hz
RAMDACs: 400MHz
Retail Box (See pics for details) more info-> N82E16814122206

$218.00

MSI nVIDIA GeForce 6600GT Video Card, 128MB DDR3, 128-Bit,
DVI/VIVO, AGP 8X, Model "NX6600GT-VTD128" -RETAIL
Specifications:
Chipset/Core Speed: nVIDIA GeForce 6600GT/500MHz
Memory: 128MB DDR3
BUS: AGP 8X
Ports: VGA Out(15 Pin D-Sub) + VIVO + DVI
Support 3D API: DirectX 9(Shader Model 3.0), OpenGL 1.5
Max Resolution@32bit Color: 2048X1536@85Hz
RAMDACs: 400MHz

$214.00

ABIT ATI RADEON 9600XT Video Card, 256MB DDR, 128-bit, DVI/VIVO,
8X AGP, Model "R9600XT-VIO" - Retail
Specifications:
Chipset/Core Speed: ATI RADEON 9600XT/500MHz
Memory/Effective Speed: 256MB DDR/Not Specified
BUS: AGP 4x/8x
Ports: VGA Out(15 Pin D-Sub)+VIVO+DVI connector
Support 3D API: DirectX®9, OpenGL®2.0
Cable/Accessories: VGA via DVI Adapter, VIVO Adapter, 2 Cables, 2 CD,
Manual
Max Resolution@32bit Color: 2048X1536@85Hz
Retail Box (See pics for details) more info-> N82E16814123132

$159.50

- --
Melissa

PGP Public Keys: http://www.willkayakforfood.tk

Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
March 6, 2005 7:14:01 AM

Hi Bill,

On Sun, 06 Mar 2005 04:14:00 GMT, you wrote:

> Melissa: That video card will not work with your computer, as it is
> a PCI bus. Your computer has an AGP bus for a video card. (unless
> your computer is less than about a year old).

I've been looking at the "Everest" program output, and found the
following (though my computer is over one year old):

Under "System Slots", there are four entries:

Field Value
System Slot Properties
Slot Designation PCI 1
Type PCI
Usage Empty
Data Bus Width 32-bit
Length Short

Field Value
System Slot Properties
Slot Designation PCI 2
Type PCI
Usage In Use
Data Bus Width 32-bit
Length Short

Field Value
System Slot Properties
Slot Designation PCI 3
Type PCI
Usage In Use
Data Bus Width 32-bit
Length Short

Field Value
System Slot Properties
Slot Designation AGP
Type AGP 4x
Usage In Use
Data Bus Width 32-bit
Length Short

Does this mean that my computer *does* have PCI video card capability?
Also, in the last one above (AGP), it says "Type: AGP 4x". Is this
just describing my current video card? Or the computer's "maximum
capability"?

Thanks for your patience! :-)

- --
Melissa

PGP Public Keys: http://www.willkayakforfood.tk

Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
March 6, 2005 12:27:40 PM

Hi Melissa,
Warning, the CPU you indicate has a "Prescott" core. Unless your
Motherboard is fairly new, it probably won't support the "Prescott"
technology. I purchased a "VIA P4X4 ATX mainboard less than a year ago, and
tried to by a new CPU for it just a couple weeks ago, It was a big of a
shock that my motherboard couldn't use it.

Arthur B

"Melissa" <willkayakforfoodREMOVE_THIS@gmx.net> wrote in message

> Hi John,
>
> On Sat, 05 Mar 2005 22:59:32 GMT, you wrote:
>
>> Your computer will support up to a 2.6 Ghz CPU and uses an Intel 478
>> type socket.
>
>> The memory modules you need are PC2100/PC2700, 184 pin DDR DIMMs.
>> The motherboard will accommodate up to 2 Gbytes.
>
> Thanks! :-)
>
> Okay...I've done a bit of snooping around at newegg.com, and found the
> following three items that add up to a total of $550 (includes two
> sticks of the 512 MB RAM). Will these work with my machine, and also
> work well for fs9?

> ATI Radeon X700 PRO Video Card, 256MB DDR, 128-Bit, DVI/TV-Out,
> PCI-Express, Model "100-437402" -RETAIL
> Specifications:
> Chipset/Core Speed: ATI Radeon X700 PRO/420MHz
> Memory/Effective Speed: 256MB DDR/860MHz
> BUS: PCI-Express
> Ports: VGA Out(15 Pin D-Sub) + TV-Out (S-Video/Composite Out) + DVI
> Support 3D API: DirectX 9, OpenGL 2.0
> Max Resolution@32bit Color: 2048X1536@85Hz
> Cable/Accessories: DVI-I to VGA adapter, S-Video cable, Composite
> cable, S to AV Adapter, Manual, Driver CD
> Retail Box (See pics for details) more info-> N82E16814102414
>
> $219.00

> Intel Pentium 4/ 2.66 GHz 533MHz FSB, 1MB L2 Cache Processor -
> Retail
> Specifications:
> Model: Intel Pentium 4
> Core: Prescott
> Operating Frequency: 2.66GHz
> FSB: 533MHz
> Cache: L1/12K+16K; L2/1MB
> Voltage: 1.287V-1.400V
> Process: 90nm
> Socket: Socket 478
> Multimedia Instruction: MMX, SSE, SSE2, SSE3
> Manufacturer Warranty: 3-year MFG
> Packaging: Retail box (with Heatsink and Fan) more info->
> N82E16819116193
>
> $147.49

> Kingston HyperX Series 184 Pin 512MB DDR PC-2700
> Specifications:
> Manufacturer: Kingston
> Speed: DDR333(PC2700)
> Type: 184 Pin DDR SDRAM
> Error Checking: Non-ECC
> Registered/Unbuffered: Unbuffered
> Cas Latency: 2-2-2-5-1T
> Support Voltage: 2.6V
> Bandwidth: 2.7GB/s
>
> $92 (x2 = $184)
>
> - --
> Melissa
>
> PGP Public Keys: http://www.willkayakforfood.tk

Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
March 6, 2005 4:32:44 PM

> [...]
> Memory: 128MB DDR3
> BUS: AGP 8X
> Ports: VGA Out(15 Pin D-Sub) + VIVO + DVI
> Support 3D API: DirectX 9(Shader Model 3.0), OpenGL 1.5
> Max Resolution@32bit Color: 2048X1536@85Hz
> RAMDACs: 400MHz
>
> $214.00

> ABIT ATI RADEON 9600XT Video Card, 256MB DDR, 128-bit, DVI/VIVO,
> 8X AGP, Model "R9600XT-VIO" - Retail
> Specifications:
> Chipset/Core Speed: ATI RADEON 9600XT/500MHz
> Memory/Effective Speed: 256MB DDR/Not Specified
> BUS: AGP 4x/8x
> Ports: VGA Out(15 Pin D-Sub)+VIVO+DVI connector
> Support 3D API: DirectX®9, OpenGL®2.0
> Cable/Accessories: VGA via DVI Adapter, VIVO Adapter, 2 Cables, 2 CD,
> Manual
> Max Resolution@32bit Color: 2048X1536@85Hz
> Retail Box (See pics for details) more info-> N82E16814123132

Melissa: My personal preference would be the Leadtek 6600 GT. My reasoning
is that I am now running a Leadtek card and am very happy with it. I have
the older Leadtek 5800 card, but it runs flight sim with almost everything
maxed out. Bill
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
March 6, 2005 4:35:43 PM

> Hi Bill,
>
> On Sun, 06 Mar 2005 04:14:00 GMT, you wrote:
>
>> Melissa: That video card will not work with your computer, as it is
>> a PCI bus. Your computer has an AGP bus for a video card. (unless
>> your computer is less than about a year old).
>
> I've been looking at the "Everest" program output, and found the
> following (though my computer is over one year old):
>
> Under "System Slots", there are four entries:
>
> Field Value
> System Slot Properties
> Slot Designation PCI 1
> Type PCI
> Usage Empty
> Data Bus Width 32-bit
> Length Short
>

> Field Value
> System Slot Properties
> Slot Designation PCI 2
> Type PCI
> Usage In Use
> Data Bus Width 32-bit
> Length Short
>

> Field Value
> System Slot Properties
> Slot Designation PCI 3
> Type PCI
> Usage In Use
> Data Bus Width 32-bit
> Length Short
>

> Field Value
> System Slot Properties
> Slot Designation AGP
> Type AGP 4x
> Usage In Use
> Data Bus Width 32-bit
> Length Short
>
> Does this mean that my computer *does* have PCI video card capability?
> Also, in the last one above (AGP), it says "Type: AGP 4x". Is this
> just describing my current video card? Or the computer's "maximum
> capability"?
>
> Thanks for your patience! :-)
>
> - --
> Melissa
>
> PGP Public Keys: http://www.willkayakforfood.tk

Your pc has PCI slots for sound cards, modems, networking, etc., but the
video is the AGP slot. Bill
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
March 6, 2005 5:20:51 PM

Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
March 6, 2005 11:13:58 PM

Hi,

On Sat, 5 Mar 2005 10:38:03 -0800, I wrote:

> Hi,

[snip]

John mentioned that my motherboard could take up to a 2.6 Ghz CPU.
However, earlier today, I wrote to ASUS, gave them detailed
information about my motherboard (and other bits of the computer),
and asked for recommendations for P4 CPUs that would be compatible.
Here's what ASUS said (just received the email a little while ago):

>> you can use Northwood core P4@533mhz fsb with 512KB L2 cache max
>> to P4 3.06GHZ .
>>
>> so ,you can choose P4 2.4B ,P4 2.66B, P4 2.8B or P4 3.06GHZ to
>> enhance the performance

So, assuming ASUS was correct about the Ghz maximum, I went snooping
around newegg.com and found a P4 2.8 Ghz CPU that fits all the ASUS
specs as mentioned in their email.

Now, it seems that if this CPU will play nicely with my motherboard, I
may have come up with a CPU/RAM/Video Card combination that fits very
nicely into my estimated budget (a total of $532).

So, do you think that the following three upgrades will bring my
computer up to reasonable enough specs for fs9?

CPU ($168):

Intel Pentium 4/ 2.8B GHz 533MHz FSB, 512K Cache - OEM

Specifications:

Model: Intel Pentium 4
Core: Northwood
Operating Frequency: 2.8GHz
FSB: 533MHz
Cache: L1/12K+8K; L2/512K
Voltage: 1.525V
Process: 0.13Micron
Socket: Socket 478
Multimedia Instruction: MMX, SSE, SSE2
Packaging: OEM(Processor Only) more info-> N82E16819116148 $167.99

Video Card ($218):

Leadtek nVIDIA GeForce 6600GT Video Card, 128MB GDDR3, 128-Bit,
DVI/HDTV-Out, AGP 8X, Model "A6600 GT TDH" -RETAIL
Specifications:
Chipset/Core Speed: nVIDIA GeForce 6600GT/500MHz
Memory: 128MB GDDR3
BUS: AGP 8X
Ports: VGA Out(15 Pin D-Sub) + HDTV-Out + DVI
Support 3D API: DirectX 9(Shader Model 3.0), OpenGL 1.5
Max Resolution@32bit Color: 2048X1536@85Hz
RAMDACs: 400MHz
Retail Box (See pics for details) more info-> N82E16814122206
$218.00

RAM (two sticks = $146):

Kingston VALUERAM 184-Pin 1GB(512MBx2) DDR PC-2700, Model
KVR333X64C25K2/1G - OEM
Specifications:
Manufacturer: Kingston
Speed: DDR333(PC2700)
Type: 184-Pin DDR SDRAM
Error Checking: Non-ECC
Registered/Unbuffered: Unbuffered
Cas Latency: 2.5
Support Voltage: 2.5V
Bandwidth: 2.7GB/s
Warranty: Lifetime more info-> N82E16820141434 $145.67

- --
Melissa

PGP Public Keys: http://www.willkayakforfood.tk

Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
March 7, 2005 12:58:25 AM

Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
March 7, 2005 1:04:14 AM

>> Kingston HyperX Series 184 Pin 512MB DDR PC-2700
>> Specifications:
>> Manufacturer: Kingston
>> Speed: DDR333(PC2700)
>> Type: 184 Pin DDR SDRAM
>> Error Checking: Non-ECC
>> Registered/Unbuffered: Unbuffered
>> Cas Latency: 2-2-2-5-1T
>> Support Voltage: 2.6V
>> Bandwidth: 2.7GB/s
>>
>> $92 (x2 = $184)

Hi Melissa

Rather than buy 2 new sticks of ram can you not try and match your existing
single one? You will need to get some references off it. If it is 'branded'
Kingston or Crucial or similar, it shouldn't be difficult. At the very least
if this doesn't do the trick you can then buy another stick! You could save
yourself $92 which you could spend towards increasing the specs of the other
bits!

Chris
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
March 7, 2005 1:53:35 AM

Melissa,
if you look at
http://www.asus.com/prog/spec.asp?m=p4s533-mx#
there doesn't seem any point in going faster than PC2700 (ie higher number)
Pete S

"Melissa" <willkayakforfoodREMOVE_THIS@gmx.net> wrote in message
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
March 7, 2005 1:53:36 AM

Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
March 7, 2005 3:01:16 AM

Hi Ralph,

On Mon, 7 Mar 2005 08:39:13 +0100, you wrote:

> i hope i don't add up too much to the confusion :)

Don't worry, I'm very good at confusing myself, so even if you confuse
me, I wouldn't know the difference! :-)

Thanks for the clarification of the various AGP/PCI/PCI-express
differences.

I'm thinking that I've just about decided upon the three components,
including a video card that says it's compatible with both 4x and 8x
AGP. Below are the CPU, Video Card, and RAM I think I've finally
decided upon (all three should be, as far as I can tell, completely
compatible with my ASUS P4S533 MX motherboard...I hope! :-)).

I want to thank everyone who has put up with my constant confusion
over the past 24 hours! You've all been very helpful, and I've
learned quite a bit along the way. Thank you all so much! :-)

Now I just have to wait about a week and a half before I can actually
order these things:

CPU:
Intel Pentium 4/ 2.8B GHz 533MHz FSB, 512K Cache - OEM

Specifications:

Model: Intel Pentium 4
Core: Northwood
Operating Frequency: 2.8GHz
FSB: 533MHz
Cache: L1/12K+8K; L2/512K
Voltage: 1.525V
Process: 0.13Micron
Socket: Socket 478
Multimedia Instruction: MMX, SSE, SSE2
Packaging: OEM(Processor Only) more info-> N82E16819116148

Video Card:
CONNECT3D ATI RADEON 9800PRO Video Card, 128MB DDR, 256-bit, DVI/TV-
Out, 8X AGP

Specifications:

Chipset/Core Speed: ATI RADEON 9800PRO/380MHz
Memory/Effective Speed: 128MB DDR/680MHz
BUS: AGP 4X/8X
Ports: VGA Out(15 Pin D-Sub) + TV-Out(S-Video/Composite Out) + DVI
Support 3D API: DirectX 9.0, OpenGL 2.0
Cable/Accessories: 2 Cables, DVI to VGA Adapter, S-Video to Composite
Adapter, 1 CD, Manual
Max Resolution@32bit Color: 2048X1536@85Hz
Retail Box (See pics for details) more info-> N82E16814142009

RAM:
Kingston VALUERAM 184-Pin 1GB (512MBx2) DDR PC-2700, Model
KVR333X64C25K2/1G - OEM

Specifications:

Manufacturer: Kingston
Speed: DDR333(PC2700)
Type: 184-Pin DDR SDRAM
Error Checking: Non-ECC
Registered/Unbuffered: Unbuffered
Cas Latency: 2.5
Support Voltage: 2.5V
Bandwidth: 2.7GB/s
Warranty: Lifetime more info-> N82E16820141434

- --
Melissa

PGP Public Keys: http://www.willkayakforfood.tk

Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
March 7, 2005 3:39:31 AM

On Sun, 6 Mar 2005 21:58:25 -0800, Melissa wrote:

>> Well, I recently replaced the FX5200 PCIe card that came with my
>> latest sim computer (3.2 GHz P4), with this precise card, and my
>> frame rates DOUBLED instantly... ;)  I now get a rock solid 28-29
>> fps under even heavy IMC, 100% AI and most sliders at max.
>
> Thanks, but it seems that my motherboard doesn't have "PCI" video card
> slots...just an AGP 4x slot.

Oh, it has PCI slots, just not a PCIe (Enhanced) slot... That's a big
difference that I didn't know about until I read your mobo's specs after
replying. ;)

> At the moment I'm back to looking for a suitable video card, because
> the one I thought I could use is an 8x AGP.

The ones you listed will work with BOTH 4x and 8x AGP...

Bill
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
March 7, 2005 3:42:21 AM

Date: Sun, 6 Mar 2005 15:31:01 -0800

> Thanks Pete!
>
> Obviously, hardware isn't my specialty! :-)...

Hi Melissa... Well since retiring from hardware engineering, I should be able to help you. But even for me, things change weekly and it is just too time consuming to keep up. Thus I think you are doing better than most users out there anyway.

> Now, I'm concentrating on the search for a P4 CPU
> to replace the Celeron, and that will be compatible with my
> motherboard; this is still a bit of a challenge for me at the moment...

Well if you can find a P4 that fits into a 378 socket, that would be a great start. That doesn't mean it would automatically work though. Anyway good luck and keep us up to date.

Bill
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
March 7, 2005 7:42:59 AM

Good morning Melissa;

"Melissa" <willkayakforfoodREMOVE_THIS@gmx.net> wrote in message

> Hi John,
>
> On Sat, 05 Mar 2005 22:59:32 GMT, you wrote:
>
>> The memory modules you need are PC2100/PC2700, 184 pin DDR DIMMs.
>> The motherboard will accommodate up to 2 Gbytes.
>
> I went to the "crucial.com" site to look up compatible memory for my
> motherboard, and here's the output page:
>
> http://tinyurl.com/4sh4m
>
> Considering your quote at the top of this message about the "PC2100"
> or "PC2700", "crucial" seems to think that my motherboard can take
> "PC3200", or even "PC4000" modules as well...
>
> As I'm beginning to understand, the higher the "PC" number, the faster
> the RAM. Is this correct? If so, if I choose a pair of the 184 pin
> 512 MB DDR PC 3200 modules that would be affordable for me at this
> point ($69 USD each), do you think this would be a good choice?

Do you have a manual handy for your m/b? According to the online manual
I perused at the ASUS website, you can use either PC2100 or PC2700 memory
modules. The 2100 is clocked at 100Mhz and the 2700 is clocked at 133Mhz.
Either one will work on your m/b. The chip (P/N CT6464Z335) should work
just fine. My memory is a bit fuzzy, but I think the 3200 chips are meant
for the 3Ghz cpu's.

> I'm sure glad that I have a couple of weeks to sort all this out
> before I hit the "buy now" buttons, as it seems like it can be a
> daunting process with all the choices available, while trying to find
> something that will really work with my current motherboard (for CPU,
> RAM, and video card), and also work well enough for fs9 (fs9 being
> the primary reason for my wanting to upgrade this silly machine at
> all).
>
> Any further comments, from you or anyone else, will be much
> appreciated! Thanks!
>
> - --
> Melissa
>
> PGP Public Keys: http://www.willkayakforfood.tk

Yeah, it gets a bit complex sometimes. As for a graphic card, your m/b
will support a 4x AGP card. Offhand, I don't know which makes & models fall
into that category.

Your m/b will support a cpu with an Intel Type 478 socket up to around
2.6Ghz if I understand the literature correctly. I'm not pressuring you
into acquiring this stuff, just letting you know the capability is there if
its cheaper than replacing an entire system and the room for expansion is
available.

Cheers,
John
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
March 7, 2005 7:43:00 AM

Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
March 7, 2005 7:43:00 AM

Hi John,

On Mon, 07 Mar 2005 04:42:59 GMT, you wrote:

> Yeah, it gets a bit complex sometimes. As for a graphic card, your
> m/b will support a 4x AGP card. Offhand, I don't know which makes
> & models fall into that category.

Okay, I'm back. Here are three different "Radeon 9800Pro" cards; all
with AGP 4x compatibility. Three different prices/manufacturers. Can
anyone recommend one of these over the other two? (regardless of
price). Thanks!

$250

ATI RADEON 9800PRO Video Card, 128MB DDR, 256-bit, DVI/TV-Out, 8X AGP
-RETAIL

- - Specifications -

Chipset/Core Speed: ATI RADEON 9800PRO/380MHz
Memory/Effective Speed: 128MB DDR/680MHz
BUS: AGP 4X/8X
Ports: VGA Out(15 Pin D-Sub)+TV-Out(S-Video + Composite Out)+DVI
Support 3D API: DirectX®9, OpenGL®2.0
Cable/Accessories: 2 DVI to D-Sub Adapters, 2 Cables, Driver CD,
Manual
Max Resolution@32bit Color: 2048X1536@85Hz

$235

High Tech ATI RADEON 9800PRO Video Card, 128MB DDR, 256-bit,
DVI/TV-Out, 8X AGP, Model "EXCALIBUR R9800PRO ICEQ " -RETAIL
Specifications:
Chipset/Core Speed: ATI RADEON 9800PRO/380MHz
Memory/Effective Speed: 128MB DDR/680MHz
BUS: AGP 4X/8X
Ports: VGA Out(15 Pin D-Sub) + TV-Out(S-Video/Composite Out) + DVI
Support 3D API: DirectX 9.0, OpenGL 2.0
Cable/Accessories: 2 Adapters, 3 Cables, 6 CD, Manual
Max Resolution@32bit Color: 2048X1536@85Hz
Retail Box (See pics for details) No Half-Life 2 coupon more info->
N82E16814161109 $235.50

$198.50

CONNECT3D ATI RADEON 9800PRO Video Card, 128MB DDR, 256-bit,
DVI/TV-Out, 8X AGP -RETAIL
Specifications:
Chipset/Core Speed: ATI RADEON 9800PRO/380MHz
Memory/Effective Speed: 128MB DDR/680MHz
BUS: AGP 4X/8X
Ports: VGA Out(15 Pin D-Sub) + TV-Out(S-Video/Composite Out) + DVI
Support 3D API: DirectX 9.0, OpenGL 2.0
Cable/Accessories: 2 Cables, DVI to VGA Adapter, S-Video to Composite
Adapter, 1 CD, Manual
Max Resolution@32bit Color: 2048X1536@85Hz
Retail Box (See pics for details) more info-> N82E16814142009
$198.50

- --
Melissa

PGP Public Keys: http://www.willkayakforfood.tk

Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
March 7, 2005 10:28:43 AM

Actually I believe they are all pretty close to the same. Just OEM versions of the same chip. Get the cheap one? I
hate to say that but it's a great card. I use it.

--
....Carl Frisk
Anger is a brief madness.

"Melissa" <willkayakforfoodREMOVE_THIS@gmx.net> wrote in message news:1tia7ljf3e7kj$.dlg@uni-berlin.de...

> Hi John,
>
> On Mon, 07 Mar 2005 04:42:59 GMT, you wrote:
>
>> Yeah, it gets a bit complex sometimes. As for a graphic card, your
>> m/b will support a 4x AGP card. Offhand, I don't know which makes
>> & models fall into that category.
>
> Okay, I'm back. Here are three different "Radeon 9800Pro" cards; all
> with AGP 4x compatibility. Three different prices/manufacturers. Can
> anyone recommend one of these over the other two? (regardless of
> price). Thanks!

> $250
>
> ATI RADEON 9800PRO Video Card, 128MB DDR, 256-bit, DVI/TV-Out, 8X AGP
> -RETAIL
>
> - - Specifications -
>
> Chipset/Core Speed: ATI RADEON 9800PRO/380MHz
> Memory/Effective Speed: 128MB DDR/680MHz
> BUS: AGP 4X/8X
> Ports: VGA Out(15 Pin D-Sub)+TV-Out(S-Video + Composite Out)+DVI
> Support 3D API: DirectX®9, OpenGL®2.0
> Cable/Accessories: 2 DVI to D-Sub Adapters, 2 Cables, Driver CD,
> Manual
> Max Resolution@32bit Color: 2048X1536@85Hz

> $235
>
> High Tech ATI RADEON 9800PRO Video Card, 128MB DDR, 256-bit,
> DVI/TV-Out, 8X AGP, Model "EXCALIBUR R9800PRO ICEQ " -RETAIL
> Specifications:
> Chipset/Core Speed: ATI RADEON 9800PRO/380MHz
> Memory/Effective Speed: 128MB DDR/680MHz
> BUS: AGP 4X/8X
> Ports: VGA Out(15 Pin D-Sub) + TV-Out(S-Video/Composite Out) + DVI
> Support 3D API: DirectX 9.0, OpenGL 2.0
> Cable/Accessories: 2 Adapters, 3 Cables, 6 CD, Manual
> Max Resolution@32bit Color: 2048X1536@85Hz
> Retail Box (See pics for details) No Half-Life 2 coupon more info->
> N82E16814161109 $235.50

> $198.50
>
> CONNECT3D ATI RADEON 9800PRO Video Card, 128MB DDR, 256-bit,
> DVI/TV-Out, 8X AGP -RETAIL
> Specifications:
> Chipset/Core Speed: ATI RADEON 9800PRO/380MHz
> Memory/Effective Speed: 128MB DDR/680MHz
> BUS: AGP 4X/8X
> Ports: VGA Out(15 Pin D-Sub) + TV-Out(S-Video/Composite Out) + DVI
> Support 3D API: DirectX 9.0, OpenGL 2.0
> Cable/Accessories: 2 Cables, DVI to VGA Adapter, S-Video to Composite
> Adapter, 1 CD, Manual
> Max Resolution@32bit Color: 2048X1536@85Hz
> Retail Box (See pics for details) more info-> N82E16814142009
> $198.50
>
> - --
> Melissa
>
> PGP Public Keys: http://www.willkayakforfood.tk

Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
March 7, 2005 10:28:44 AM

Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
March 7, 2005 11:33:18 AM

Looks like a good decision.

I actually may be flying into Ocean Shores a week from this Sunday with one of my flying buddies if we have time. Going
to hop over to Vantage and photo some aerial shots of the hills while they are still green and hopefully catch a shot of
a Snow Goose or two. If we don't run too late we thought we'd swing into Ocean Shores for a giant clam dinner:)  I'll
let you know.

--
....Carl Frisk
Anger is a brief madness.

"Melissa" <willkayakforfoodREMOVE_THIS@gmx.net> wrote in message news:1l6xao1fsgc9$.dlg@uni-berlin.de...

> Hi Ralph,
>
> On Mon, 7 Mar 2005 08:39:13 +0100, you wrote:
>
>> i hope i don't add up too much to the confusion :)
>
> Don't worry, I'm very good at confusing myself, so even if you confuse
> me, I wouldn't know the difference! :-)
>
> Thanks for the clarification of the various AGP/PCI/PCI-express
> differences.
>
> I'm thinking that I've just about decided upon the three components,
> including a video card that says it's compatible with both 4x and 8x
> AGP. Below are the CPU, Video Card, and RAM I think I've finally
> decided upon (all three should be, as far as I can tell, completely
> compatible with my ASUS P4S533 MX motherboard...I hope! :-)).
>
> I want to thank everyone who has put up with my constant confusion
> over the past 24 hours! You've all been very helpful, and I've
> learned quite a bit along the way. Thank you all so much! :-)
>
> Now I just have to wait about a week and a half before I can actually
> order these things:
>
> CPU:
> Intel Pentium 4/ 2.8B GHz 533MHz FSB, 512K Cache - OEM
>
> Specifications:
>
> Model: Intel Pentium 4
> Core: Northwood
> Operating Frequency: 2.8GHz
> FSB: 533MHz
> Cache: L1/12K+8K; L2/512K
> Voltage: 1.525V
> Process: 0.13Micron
> Socket: Socket 478
> Multimedia Instruction: MMX, SSE, SSE2
> Packaging: OEM(Processor Only) more info-> N82E16819116148
>

> Video Card:
> CONNECT3D ATI RADEON 9800PRO Video Card, 128MB DDR, 256-bit, DVI/TV-
> Out, 8X AGP
>
> Specifications:
>
> Chipset/Core Speed: ATI RADEON 9800PRO/380MHz
> Memory/Effective Speed: 128MB DDR/680MHz
> BUS: AGP 4X/8X
> Ports: VGA Out(15 Pin D-Sub) + TV-Out(S-Video/Composite Out) + DVI
> Support 3D API: DirectX 9.0, OpenGL 2.0
> Cable/Accessories: 2 Cables, DVI to VGA Adapter, S-Video to Composite
> Adapter, 1 CD, Manual
> Max Resolution@32bit Color: 2048X1536@85Hz
> Retail Box (See pics for details) more info-> N82E16814142009
>

> RAM:
> Kingston VALUERAM 184-Pin 1GB (512MBx2) DDR PC-2700, Model
> KVR333X64C25K2/1G - OEM
>
> Specifications:
>
> Manufacturer: Kingston
> Speed: DDR333(PC2700)
> Type: 184-Pin DDR SDRAM
> Error Checking: Non-ECC
> Registered/Unbuffered: Unbuffered
> Cas Latency: 2.5
> Support Voltage: 2.5V
> Bandwidth: 2.7GB/s
> Warranty: Lifetime more info-> N82E16820141434
>
> - --
> Melissa
>
> PGP Public Keys: http://www.willkayakforfood.tk

Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
March 7, 2005 2:45:52 PM

Good morning Melissa;

> Hi,
>
> On Sat, 5 Mar 2005 10:38:03 -0800, I wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>
> [snip]
>
> John mentioned that my motherboard could take up to a 2.6 Ghz CPU.
> However, earlier today, I wrote to ASUS, gave them detailed
> information about my motherboard (and other bits of the computer),
> and asked for recommendations for P4 CPUs that would be compatible.
> Here's what ASUS said (just received the email a little while ago):
>
>>> you can use Northwood core P4@533mhz fsb with 512KB L2 cache max
>>> to P4 3.06GHZ .
>>>
>>> so ,you can choose P4 2.4B ,P4 2.66B, P4 2.8B or P4 3.06GHZ to
>>> enhance the performance
>

> So, assuming ASUS was correct about the Ghz maximum, I went snooping
> around newegg.com and found a P4 2.8 Ghz CPU that fits all the ASUS
> specs as mentioned in their email.
>
> Now, it seems that if this CPU will play nicely with my motherboard, I
> may have come up with a CPU/RAM/Video Card combination that fits very
> nicely into my estimated budget (a total of $532).
>
> So, do you think that the following three upgrades will bring my
> computer up to reasonable enough specs for fs9?
>
> CPU ($168):

> Intel Pentium 4/ 2.8B GHz 533MHz FSB, 512K Cache - OEM
>
> Specifications:
>
> Model: Intel Pentium 4
> Core: Northwood
> Operating Frequency: 2.8GHz
> FSB: 533MHz
> Cache: L1/12K+8K; L2/512K
> Voltage: 1.525V
> Process: 0.13Micron
> Socket: Socket 478
> Multimedia Instruction: MMX, SSE, SSE2
> Packaging: OEM(Processor Only) more info-> N82E16819116148 $167.99
>

> Video Card ($218):

> Leadtek nVIDIA GeForce 6600GT Video Card, 128MB GDDR3, 128-Bit,
> DVI/HDTV-Out, AGP 8X, Model "A6600 GT TDH" -RETAIL
> Specifications:
> Chipset/Core Speed: nVIDIA GeForce 6600GT/500MHz
> Memory: 128MB GDDR3
> BUS: AGP 8X
> Ports: VGA Out(15 Pin D-Sub) + HDTV-Out + DVI
> Support 3D API: DirectX 9(Shader Model 3.0), OpenGL 1.5
> Max Resolution@32bit Color: 2048X1536@85Hz
> RAMDACs: 400MHz
> Retail Box (See pics for details) more info-> N82E16814122206
> $218.00
>

> RAM (two sticks = $146):

> Kingston VALUERAM 184-Pin 1GB(512MBx2) DDR PC-2700, Model
> KVR333X64C25K2/1G - OEM
> Specifications:
> Manufacturer: Kingston
> Speed: DDR333(PC2700)
> Type: 184-Pin DDR SDRAM
> Error Checking: Non-ECC
> Registered/Unbuffered: Unbuffered
> Cas Latency: 2.5
> Support Voltage: 2.5V
> Bandwidth: 2.7GB/s
> Warranty: Lifetime more info-> N82E16820141434 $145.67
>
> - --
> Melissa
>
> PGP Public Keys: http://www.willkayakforfood.tk

You should have quite a good computer. As Bill suggested, the video
card will adapt if only 4X can be used. Mine works that way. I suppose
your next investment may be a matching monitor. Sorry I couldn't be of more
help. I'm glad that ASUS added some insight to assist you, and you have
some good lads to draw some wisdom from here on the group. Best of luck.

Cheers,
John
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
March 7, 2005 7:57:56 PM

Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
March 8, 2005 7:09:07 PM

Melissa: If you will go to www.kingston.com/products/default.asp you will
find a memory conficurator that will tell you exactly what kind of memory
you need for your computer. Bill
!