Advice on Motherboard Selection

Teetoe

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2005
Good Afternoon.

Recently I have made the decision to upgrade my 2nd of three PCs to be more like the main machine that I have.

In my main machine I have an Abit AV8 - 3rd Eye, with 1 Gig of 3200 RAM, AMD 64 3500+, and a 6600 gt (256mg). It runs all the games I play without really any issues, rarely ever crashes (when it does I credit it to Windows 64), and overall runs everything that it can run flawlessly.

I wanted to basically mimic that setup in my 2nd machine, however, all the pricing I see on that motherboard and CPU combo are more than what I spent for it almost 9 months ago, or I cannot find someone selling the two of them.

I have a GeForce 5950 AGP card in my 2nd machine, and I dont see any reason replacing it until SLi becomes more performance improving and more affordable. I also have 2 512mg sticks of RAM from the 2nd machine. So all I need, best I can tell is a new board and chip.

My board in my main machine is this one http://www.abit-usa.com/products/mb/products.php?categories=1&model=201 I am looking for something similar that will really make the machine comparable. I do not currently overclock anything, however, I am not afraid to start looking into that.

Beyond that, I also have a 3rd machine that is a dell that came with a x300 ati card, and I would like to spend 200 or less on a graphical upgrade for that machine as well. It has a PCI-E slot, and I tried out a x700 because I came across one for $100, however, performance seems to have gotten worse. So I would also like some suggestions on a good Video Card for that machine under 200.

Thank You in Advance.
Tito

fishmahn

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2004
Ok, I've lost track of the nForce 3 socket 939 boards, but get whatever one that fits with your feature needs. Be aware that buying this board will be a dead end however because of AGP. The newest video cards do not come in an AGP version (and I doubt they will), so your next upgrade for that PC will require a mobo and video.

I went to Newegg to show a selection and give a suggestion, but they don't have many of those boards, so here is the short list. I like the Epox personally (the out of stock one of course :lol: ) because MSI had some quality problems with this model board. I know Asus, Chaintech, DFI, etc., all made boards, but I don't know which ones are still available.

Get a 6600GT for that other machine for under 150, or you can get a 6800GS right around 200 - Newegg has an eVGA model for 213 shipped. (over your 200, but soooo close... and its a durn good card for the $ - besides maybe you can find a sale :) )

Mike.

Teetoe

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2005
Thanks for information on the Video Card, I am wondering if it would be worth the extra 90 bucks for one of these: XFX GeForce 7800 GT 256MB PCI Express

As for the other MB, I would hate to buy something that would be obsolute in the near future... I know THG rated a combo board, but it was mediocre in review I thought.

Is that still the case, or have they updated the BIOS and other items to make it worthwhile?

If not, what 939 socketed PCI-E board do you suggest for a good board and CPU combo that is reasonable. I am still an AMD 64 fan, I have been throughly impressed with the one I have.

On the MB + CPU + Vid Card I could prolly range from 400 to 500.

Thanks for the response so far.
Tito.

fishmahn

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2004
You must mean the ASRock board. I've heard of 1 person with one, but haven't heard if there were problems or not. No idea if its good/bad other than the few reviews.

Chaintec VNF4 $67 shipped. Good cheap board, decent reviews, good no 'bad press', etc. There are others - Abit comes highly recommended, DFI, Epox, etc. but I think the Chaintech is the best of the cheapest.

A64 3200+ Venice $159 shipped.

Add a 6800gs and you're happy for a nice while. Upgrade to the 3500+ and you have the same machine as your main with possibly better video and probably still under 500.

Mike.

Teetoe

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2005
I was looking at the 3500+ CPUs and I noticed that they have 3 sub names on them.

Venice, Clawhammer, and Winchester...

What are the differences here, just for educational purposes.

Thanks
Tito

fishmahn

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2004
Those are all code names used to differentiate the different 'updates' of the A64 CPU. Clawhammer is the oldest core and is 98% replaced by other cores. Winchester is the first Athlon64 core to use the 90nm production process. Venice is the update to Winchester and has an improved memory controller.

Clawhammer - 130nm, 1mb L2, good chip but older. Only get if no other choice for your needs. (you'll still be happy with it...)
Newcastle - 130nm, 512k L2, like Clawhammer, good chip but outdated.
Winchester - 90nm, 512k L2, OC's well, good but better available.
Venice - 90nm, 512k L2, OCs very well, improved memory controller.
San Diego - 90nm, 1Mb L2, OCs very well, improved memory controller.
There's also the X2s - Toledo is = 2 San Diego's and Manchester = 2 Venices. (well, same specs, maybe different core internally)

Get Venice or San Diego. :)

Mike.