Sign in with
Your question

Upgrading My Aging Computer

Last response: in Systems
November 30, 2005 2:56:59 AM

Hi, first time poster short time lurker.

TOPIC A : UPGRADING
COMP INFO
My computer was built for 525 2 years ago, and Now I need it upgraded..

I have
Gigabyte GA 7S748
Equipt with
An Athlon Xp 2500+ (Barton)
A Stick of 512 (PC3200) Kingstons cheapest
A 5600 Ultra (Asylum BFG Tech)(Agp8x)
A 60 Billion byte hard drive from western digital i think....

Anyway, I have 100 dollars extra this month and another 100 next to spend on my computer.

I am looking at getting another harddrive (I lose cd's so I need to back them up).
So should i get the 300GB 16MB Buffer or the 320GB 8MB buffer ? (about 120 dollars) Where should I go to buy them (prefered not a i buy it and then mail back the upc or soemthing... but I can go that route)
Really anything 200-400 sounds about the sweet spot but the 300 and 320 cost less per GB than the ones around that I have noticed.

I also think that I require more ram. 512 more would cost about 50-60 and 1024 costs 120ish.
Should I get 2 512's (and from where) or a 1024 ?

Also what else should I upgrade ?

TOPIC B : Future
I am sorta hesitant of moving to a 64 bit proc because if i move that up shouldn't I get a PCI Express compatible mobo ? And then if I am gong for PCI E, should I get SLI ? And really how good is the 6600 and why is it the only one that is semi afordable?

[/url]
November 30, 2005 10:08:33 AM

Can I safely assume that this is a gaming rig?

1. Get a CD/DVD holder and make sure that you put your CD/DVD up when you're done using it. There should be no reason to have to backup your disks on the HD. That's actually bass aackwards. That being said, go with the 16MB cache drive - better performer for relatively little money.

2. RAM: You're right. 1GB would probably help your gaming experience. Kingston Value Ram is not that bad - definitely better than generic. In your situation I would just get another stick of the Kingston.

3. Your biggest gaming performance increase will come from upgrading your video card. This is the lowest price I've seen an AGP 6600GT. It does have a MIR, but still a good deal. The 6600GT is the best card that you'll find for just over $100, unless you get lucky on a refurb at newegg.
November 30, 2005 3:51:58 PM

1. It is quicker to install from the hard drive, but yeah I get the point. (I have a problem with keeping CD/DVD things around here unless they are up and out of the way... people like rearanging stuff for me and losing my stuff)
2. Should I get a gig stick (1024meg) or 512?
3. I should go with a 6600GT ? How much better than the 6600 is it ?

And should I do anythinking about it being a Ultra Ata 100 or 133 ? Do they even require differnt ribbons ? Or can they use the same type of ribbon but are limited by the ribbon speed ?
Related resources
November 30, 2005 4:06:06 PM

1.16MB buffer if your your backing your games to play
2.Gig stick much better, but you have 512 at the moment and it either 1 gig or 2 nothing in between or you would lose speed, so probaly best for you would be to get 512 and throw extra money in GPU fund
3. Yes the GT version is well worth the extra $30 with the ability to play all the newest out there now on decent settings, unlike the vanila 6600.
November 30, 2005 4:10:52 PM

As long as its an 80-pin cable, ATA/66, ATA/100, ATA/133 are all cross-compatible. Just the max data rate is different (and drives barely saturate ATA/66 so even that's a non-issue).

Mike.
November 30, 2005 4:42:52 PM

Since the biggest improvement would be from upgrading my Video card then, should I just get a 50 dollar hard drive and a stick of 512 ?
November 30, 2005 4:56:20 PM

I would do the upgrades in two groups:
1. RAM/HDD
2. Vid card

If you want the best gaming performance now, then get the vid card this month. If you want to see if prices drop on vid cards to possibly get a better card, then get RAM/HDD now and vid card later. Your money, your choice on upgrade order...
!