Windows Update doesn't work

Background: NT4/Sp6a Workstation and IE6/Sp1, with all patches installed
to date. As I can't update via Windows Update (WU), I use HFNetChk
3.86 command line version to check for needed (MS) hotfixes.

Problem: when trying "Product Updates" (from WU's Home Page), I get this
error: "Cannot Display Page". Have tried all the remedies suggested on
that page, i.e., Q243787, Q193385, Q243787, and others, but so far in vain.

As part of the above, the "wuv3is.dll" file was deleted, and hasn't been
replaced so far. I gather the idea was that WU would download a current
version automatically during the "Product Updates", which doesn't work.

What does it mean that the file is "missing"? Can WU work without?

For W2K/XP/98 there are manual procedures to download the iuctl.cab, for
WU v4. However, can't find a manual download for NT4 and the v3 stuff?!
Any suggestions?

Regards - Carl.

lee

"Carl B. Arleij (PIC)" <carleij@nada-spam-compuserve.com> wrote in message news:<OfR9CxEiEHA.2340@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl>...
> Background: NT4/Sp6a Workstation and IE6/Sp1, with all patches installed
> to date. As I can't update via Windows Update (WU), I use HFNetChk
> 3.86 command line version to check for needed (MS) hotfixes.
>
> Problem: when trying "Product Updates" (from WU's Home Page), I get this
> error: "Cannot Display Page". Have tried all the remedies suggested on
> that page, i.e., Q243787, Q193385, Q243787, and others, but so far in vain.
>
> As part of the above, the "wuv3is.dll" file was deleted, and hasn't been
> replaced so far. I gather the idea was that WU would download a current
> version automatically during the "Product Updates", which doesn't work.
>
> What does it mean that the file is "missing"? Can WU work without?
>
> For W2K/XP/98 there are manual procedures to download the iuctl.cab, for
> WU v4. However, can't find a manual download for NT4 and the v3 stuff?!
> Any suggestions?
>
> Regards - Carl.

http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&selm=a57ea28d.0403262324.7bb72e59%40posting.google.com

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=241783
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=217116
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=241122
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=245142
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=323564
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=193701

You 'gather' correctly, why it won't is the problem. No, WU needs
it to work. Typical suggestions are to empty the Temporary
Internet Files and delete the Program Files\WindowsUpdate folder.
I'd also do this one.
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=0A8A18F6-249C-4A72-BFCF-FC6AF26DC390&displaylang=en

Lee wrote:

> http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&selm=a57ea28d.0403262324.7bb72e59%40posting.google.com
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=241783
> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=217116
> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=241122
> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=245142
> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=323564
> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=193701
>
> You 'gather' correctly, why it won't is the problem. No, WU needs
> it to work. Typical suggestions are to empty the Temporary
> Internet Files and delete the Program Files\WindowsUpdate folder.
> I'd also do this one.
> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=0A8A18F6-249C-4A72-BFCF-FC6AF26DC390&displaylang=en

Thanks, I'll check your suggestions and KB articles, though I think I
have been there, done that already .. including installed the script
file. If this doesn't fly, I think I just continue using HFNetChk, as
it works very well w/o any hassle.

Carl.