choice of DVD and Lightscribe ?

Hi

I have made a choice of these three drives

Won the PCPro.co.uk best drive award.
Plextor PX-740A/T3KB /DVD Combo £45.51
Order Code: PLE-120798 Manf. Code: PX-740A/T3KB

However I have also looked at these two which are cheaper. Both have Lightscribe and one is Dual Layer. Is Lightscribe and Dual Layer really worth it? Will all these drives have issues with making "region" free

Liteon 16x Lightscribe DVD+/-RW OEM Beige £35.13
Order Code: LIT-LS16X Manf. Code: SHW-16H5S-01C

Philips Dual Layer 16x DVD+/-R LightScribe Black OEM Drive £40.70
Order Code: phi-16ls Manf. Code: PBDV16LSB/00 25779
3 answers Last reply
More about choice lightscribe
  1. Lightscribe lets you use specially coated disks to burn a label in the top of the CD. Worth it? If you'll use it its worth it. If you're like me and you don't care if your copy of 'XYZ' CD that you d/l'ed or copied has a pretty label or some scribble in marking pen, then its not worth it.

Dual layer is good to have because it lets you burn dual layer disks that hold almost 2x a single layer disk. If you don't need it, then its not worth it, but I think its worth it myself.

I don't know specifically, but since the region setting is burned into the drive, its usually the software that can set/unset it.

Mike.
  2. get dl for the future, but only get litescribe unless you like every thing to be nice and pretty, otherwise not worth the money
  3. Quote:
    Hi

I have made a choice of these three drives

Won the PCPro.co.uk best drive award.
    Plextor PX-740A/T3KB /DVD Combo £45.51
    Order Code: PLE-120798 Manf. Code: PX-740A/T3KB

However I have also looked at these two which are cheaper. Both have Lightscribe and one is Dual Layer. Is Lightscribe and Dual Layer really worth it? Will all these drives have issues with making "region" free

Liteon 16x Lightscribe DVD+/-RW OEM Beige £35.13
    Order Code: LIT-LS16X Manf. Code: SHW-16H5S-01C

Philips Dual Layer 16x DVD+/-R LightScribe Black OEM Drive £40.70
    Order Code: phi-16ls Manf. Code: PBDV16LSB/00 25779

While the Plextor may look nice, remember that it is a BenQ mechanism, and that you are better getting the Benq1640 or the newest one and not paying for the name...

As for lightscribe, just get a nice Epson r200 printer that directly print on CD or DVD with printable surface. Those media are cheaper that the lightscribe one, as are the drives, and you'll cover the cost of the printer with those savings in a short time.

Instead of having a boring monotone label, you'll have nice colorfuls ones..
Ask a new question

Read More

DVD Writers DVD Storage