NTFS Partition

Hi,

I have to 2 NTFS partitions drive E & F, since drive F is
hardly being used could I delete and add the space to
drive E. If possible, how?

Thank you for your help.

Aisha Bee
4 answers Last reply
More about ntfs partition

    Aisha Bee wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I have to 2 NTFS partitions drive E & F, since drive F is
    > hardly being used could I delete and add the space to
    > drive E. If possible, how?
    >
    > Thank you for your help.
    >
    > Aisha Bee

    PowerQuest's "Partition Magic" - now taken over
    by Symantec. Hopefully Symantec doesn't bugger
    up this great utility.
  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.misc (More info?)

    try to use "Partition Magic" version 6.0 or later. You can find it
    here http://www.symantec.com/partitionmagic/. If you do want to spend
    money on the software that you'll use ones, let me know. I have acopy
    of the ver. 6.0. It works greate with NTFS under win2K (used it many
    times). I didn't try it on NTFS under winXP.

    "Aisha Bee" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:<4c1601c4898d$e8c97f50$a301280a@phx.gbl>...
    > Hi,
    >
    > I have to 2 NTFS partitions drive E & F, since drive F is
    > hardly being used could I delete and add the space to
    > drive E. If possible, how?
    >
    > Thank you for your help.
    >
    > Aisha Bee
  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.misc (More info?)

    Rob Stow wrote:

    > Aisha Bee wrote:
    >
    > > Hi,
    > >
    > > I have to 2 NTFS partitions drive E & F, since drive F is
    > > hardly being used could I delete and add the space to
    > > drive E. If possible, how?
    > >
    > > Thank you for your help.
    > >
    > > Aisha Bee
    >
    > PowerQuest's "Partition Magic" - now taken over
    > by Symantec. Hopefully Symantec doesn't bugger
    > up this great utility.

    Here here!!
    --
    Ricardo M. Urbano
    Microsoft Windows 2000/NT MVP

    Hi Aisha,

    I assume your boot (the one with ntldr) and your boot (the one with \WinNt)
    partitions are C: and/or D: ? That being the case, then yes - you should be
    able to 'combine' the partitions.

    Several third party tools - already cited in other answers to your question can
    acheive this, or alternately, if you can get a _complete_ backup of the contents
    of drives E: and F:, you can do it by 'conventional' means:

    1. Backup content of Drive E: and Drive F:
    2. Use disk administrator to delete the logical partitions E: and F: from the drive.
    3. Use disk administrator to create a new single large logical partition and
    assign it drive letter E: and format.
    4. Restore the data from the two partitions back into the single partition E:

    Notes:

    An applications moved from F: will probably need to be re-installed, or their
    registry content adjusted to tell them they have a new 'home'.

    Size should not be an issue for the new partition - as I said, provided the
    operating system is not directly located on these partitions, no problems should
    be encountered.

    You may also need to check and confirm where your paging file is located, as
    well as the system spool directory for the printers. These may also be on E:
    and/or F: and may need adjusting. If so, it is best to ensure that the pagefile
    is re-established in it's new position on drive E: before you put the data back,
    and make sure it's min and max values are equal so there is no possibility of it
    fragmenting at some future time.

    hope this info helps.

    Calvin.

NTFS Partition Windows