Old ATX PSU with New ATX Motherboard, problems?

NamelessMC

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2005
Okay, I know that being a home built, you should take every precaution into effect. Here's the thing: I just finished my new PC upgrade (Kind of a side step upgrade, I kept the same CPU, hard-drive, cdrw and case)

The problem is, the ATX case I"m using is Antec but it's one of those first generation alienware type of cases (Huge with a 400w power supply).

The problem is, the connector on the motherboard has a 24-pin connector and the one on my old powersupply is about 4 pins short. I plugged it in anyway and it DOES work, I even benchmarked and unlocked/flashed my GPU's bios successfully with it the way it is. The only problem is I"m a bit worried if having a smaller power supply cable will indirectly effect my gear's lifetime or how much power I"m actually getting out of it.

Any tipes would be appreciated.

Also, what's this I hear about PCI-express SATA cards or something? There are 3 ports above my videocard port (PCI-express) that are currently empty and I"m wondering if there's something I"m supposed to plug into them.