Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

serial printer cable????

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
Share
October 11, 2004 1:12:54 AM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

I've got an Epson LX-300+ that needs a serial printer cable. I'm
using the serial port because that machine, a CNC Milling machine with
a FANUC 18im control, only has a serial port(25pin F), and the port is
working fine. I've also set the parameters on the printer to match
the parameters of the controller.

What kind of cable do I need, and what are the differences in all the
serial cables?? I looked at Startech.com, and there are so many
different types of serial cables. The Epson manual just says serial
cable, with no specs on pinout or wiring diagram. I also Googled for
"serial printer pinout" and got different answers. Some say straight
through, some say a Serial Modem cable, some say Null Modem cable,
some showed the pinouts with pins 2 and 3 crossed...I'm confused.

Do I need a Null modem cable, straight through cable, a modem cable or
what???

Someone with experience please let me know which serial cable I need
to connect a printer to the serial port on my controller. I would
also assume it should work on COM1 from a PC.

Thanks.

More about : serial printer cable

Anonymous
October 11, 2004 1:12:55 AM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

Having connected serial devices to FANUK equipment, I agree with BruceM
that you likely need a null modem. Connectors may vary so Google for
"serial cable connector diagram" or whatever it takes to locate a pinout
for your connectors. Radio Shack will likely have adapters.

Don


"samurai" <sammer003@yahoo.ca.SPAM> wrote in message
news:3o8jm0p1opk3976pn3ba4j23fgebk022op@4ax.com...
> I've got an Epson LX-300+ that needs a serial printer cable. I'm
> using the serial port because that machine, a CNC Milling machine with
> a FANUC 18im control, only has a serial port(25pin F), and the port is
> working fine. I've also set the parameters on the printer to match
> the parameters of the controller.
>
> What kind of cable do I need, and what are the differences in all the
> serial cables?? I looked at Startech.com, and there are so many
> different types of serial cables. The Epson manual just says serial
> cable, with no specs on pinout or wiring diagram. I also Googled for
> "serial printer pinout" and got different answers. Some say straight
> through, some say a Serial Modem cable, some say Null Modem cable,
> some showed the pinouts with pins 2 and 3 crossed...I'm confused.
>
> Do I need a Null modem cable, straight through cable, a modem cable or
> what???
>
> Someone with experience please let me know which serial cable I need
> to connect a printer to the serial port on my controller. I would
> also assume it should work on COM1 from a PC.
>
> Thanks.
>
October 11, 2004 1:12:55 AM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

samurai <sammer003@yahoo.ca.SPAM> wrote in message news:<3o8jm0p1opk3976pn3ba4j23fgebk022op@4ax.com>...
> I've got an Epson LX-300+ that needs a serial printer cable. I'm
> using the serial port because that machine, a CNC Milling machine with
> a FANUC 18im control, only has a serial port(25pin F), and the port is
> working fine. I've also set the parameters on the printer to match
> the parameters of the controller.
>
> What kind of cable do I need, and what are the differences in all the
> serial cables?? I looked at Startech.com, and there are so many
> different types of serial cables. The Epson manual just says serial
> cable, with no specs on pinout or wiring diagram. I also Googled for
> "serial printer pinout" and got different answers. Some say straight
> through, some say a Serial Modem cable, some say Null Modem cable,
> some showed the pinouts with pins 2 and 3 crossed...I'm confused.

I used one of these long ago for an HPII, the spec I used was for DB25
(PC) to DB25 (printer):
1-1
2-3
3-2
5+6-20
20-5+6
7-7

You can also use a DB9 connector.
I'm pretty sure that every printer that uses serial uses the same
pinout, look in some (older) printer manuals, many online.
Related resources
October 11, 2004 2:59:09 AM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

"samurai" <sammer003@yahoo.ca.SPAM> wrote in message
news:3o8jm0p1opk3976pn3ba4j23fgebk022op@4ax.com...
> I've got an Epson LX-300+ that needs a serial printer cable. I'm
> using the serial port because that machine, a CNC Milling machine with
> a FANUC 18im control, only has a serial port(25pin F), and the port is
> working fine. I've also set the parameters on the printer to match
> the parameters of the controller.
>
> What kind of cable do I need, and what are the differences in all the
> serial cables?? I looked at Startech.com, and there are so many
> different types of serial cables. The Epson manual just says serial
> cable, with no specs on pinout or wiring diagram. I also Googled for
> "serial printer pinout" and got different answers. Some say straight
> through, some say a Serial Modem cable, some say Null Modem cable,
> some showed the pinouts with pins 2 and 3 crossed...I'm confused.
>
All of these pinouts are used for various purposes. Most likely you need a
null modem cable. It has however been a long time since I used a serial
cable with anything but a modem. It is called "null modem" because it
replaces the functionality of a modem be switching the send and receive
lines.
> Do I need a Null modem cable, straight through cable, a modem cable or
> what???
Jim
Anonymous
October 11, 2004 12:36:45 PM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

Standard serial port is the one with only nine pins.
The usual printer port is the parallel port & if you look at the printer end
it usually looks similar in shape to the computer end but instead of having
two holes for screws, it has "thing" each end for folding in the wire-like
clips to hold the cable in. If that is the case, then just an ordinary
"parallel printer cable" will do it.
BruceM


"samurai" <sammer003@yahoo.ca.SPAM> wrote in message
news:3o8jm0p1opk3976pn3ba4j23fgebk022op@4ax.com...
> I've got an Epson LX-300+ that needs a serial printer cable. I'm
> using the serial port because that machine, a CNC Milling machine with
> a FANUC 18im control, only has a serial port(25pin F), and the port is
> working fine. I've also set the parameters on the printer to match
> the parameters of the controller.
>
> What kind of cable do I need, and what are the differences in all the
> serial cables?? I looked at Startech.com, and there are so many
> different types of serial cables. The Epson manual just says serial
> cable, with no specs on pinout or wiring diagram. I also Googled for
> "serial printer pinout" and got different answers. Some say straight
> through, some say a Serial Modem cable, some say Null Modem cable,
> some showed the pinouts with pins 2 and 3 crossed...I'm confused.
>
> Do I need a Null modem cable, straight through cable, a modem cable or
> what???
>
> Someone with experience please let me know which serial cable I need
> to connect a printer to the serial port on my controller. I would
> also assume it should work on COM1 from a PC.
>
> Thanks.
>
October 11, 2004 12:37:25 PM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

On Sun, 10 Oct 2004 21:12:54 GMT, samurai <sammer003@yahoo.ca.SPAM> wrote:

>I've got an Epson LX-300+ that needs a serial printer cable. I'm
>using the serial port because that machine, a CNC Milling machine with
>a FANUC 18im control, only has a serial port(25pin F), and the port is
>working fine. I've also set the parameters on the printer to match
>the parameters of the controller.

You say the port is working fine - how have you determined this?

Be aware that Standard COM ports - 9-pin or 25-pin - are invariably MALE on the
machine.

>What kind of cable do I need, and what are the differences in all the
>serial cables?? I looked at Startech.com, and there are so many
>different types of serial cables. The Epson manual just says serial
>cable, with no specs on pinout or wiring diagram. I also Googled for
>"serial printer pinout" and got different answers. Some say straight
>through, some say a Serial Modem cable, some say Null Modem cable,
>some showed the pinouts with pins 2 and 3 crossed...I'm confused.
>
>Do I need a Null modem cable, straight through cable, a modem cable or
>what???
>
>Someone with experience please let me know which serial cable I need
>to connect a printer to the serial port on my controller. I would
>also assume it should work on COM1 from a PC.

There are whole books written on the subject of how to connect serial devices
via COM ports. The reason is that the "standard" was derived before the PC was
dreamt of, and computers were mainframes with (often remote) terminals. The
standard defined two types of equipment:

Data Terminal Equipment (DTE) - the remote terminal, and the mainframe port
(unless it had a modem built in)

Data Communications Equipment (DCE) - the modems used at each end of the
intervening comms line.

'pooter DTE <--> modem <----- (line) -------> modem <--> DTE terminal.

Each of these types has a different pinout. In 25-pin numbering, transmitted
data (TxD) is on pin 2 of a DTE. Pin 2 of a DCE is receive data (RxD).

Then came the PC. It was (rightly) designated as DTE. People who wanted to
connect their remote terminal (DTE) directly to the PC COM port needed a cable
that correctly crossed over not only the data lines (2-3 and 3-2) but also
correctly configured all the necessary handshake lines to convince both devices
that the modems were there and on-line.

Manufacturers then complicated the scene by introducing serial printers
configures as a DCE so that it could be connected with a "straight" cable. And
some produced machines that could be configured as DTE or DCE at the flick of a
switch.

SO the short answer is that there is no simple universal answer to questions
like yours. You can try a number of cable types to see if you have success.

Bear in mind that the standard describes the elctrical properties of the ports,
and requires that any line can withstand an indefinite short to ground OR
indefinite contention. (Contention is when two outputs - one HIGH and one LOW -
are connected). So if the ports are compliant ( and the majority of laptops and
PC's of the last decade aren't truly compliant, but IMOE meet the above
safeguard) then you can safely test - with cables or a multimeter.

If both ports are 25-pin, then you can fairly simply determine the DCE/DTE sense
of the port with a multimeter and a resistor, or just a multimeter, as follows.

Connect the multimeter (volts scale) between pin_under_test (PUT) (i.e. 2 or 3)
and pin 7 (signal ground). Note the voltage, then apply a load of say 1K ohms
or less between the probes. If the voltage collapses the PUT is an INPUT (RxD)
but if it holds up above 3 volts it is likely an output. After testing both 2 &
3 on each machine you have at least determined their port sense and this tells
you whether you need a null modem cable or not - two the same will need a null
modem cable of some kind.

The harder part is identifying what handshake line connections the ports require
to happily Tx and Rx. That is a bit long to describe here. I suspect that's
why they produce whole books on the subject.

If you do find the ports require a null modem after testing as above, google for
"null modem pinout" and the most common ways of defeating hadshake requirements
should appear.

HTH
October 11, 2004 8:34:52 PM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

"Alan" <7ibehx001@sneakemail.com> wrote in message
news:2a7ef8ef.0410101911.7c272496@posting.google.com...
> samurai <sammer003@yahoo.ca.SPAM> wrote in message
news:<3o8jm0p1opk3976pn3ba4j23fgebk022op@4ax.com>...
> > I've got an Epson LX-300+ that needs a serial printer cable. I'm
> > using the serial port because that machine, a CNC Milling machine with
> > a FANUC 18im control, only has a serial port(25pin F), and the port is
> > working fine. I've also set the parameters on the printer to match
> > the parameters of the controller.
> >
> > What kind of cable do I need, and what are the differences in all the
> > serial cables?? I looked at Startech.com, and there are so many
> > different types of serial cables. The Epson manual just says serial
> > cable, with no specs on pinout or wiring diagram. I also Googled for
> > "serial printer pinout" and got different answers. Some say straight
> > through, some say a Serial Modem cable, some say Null Modem cable,
> > some showed the pinouts with pins 2 and 3 crossed...I'm confused.
>
> I used one of these long ago for an HPII, the spec I used was for DB25
> (PC) to DB25 (printer):
> 1-1
> 2-3
> 3-2
> 5+6-20
> 20-5+6
> 7-7
>
> You can also use a DB9 connector.
> I'm pretty sure that every printer that uses serial uses the same
> pinout, look in some (older) printer manuals, many online.
That was a null modem cable.
Jim
October 11, 2004 8:36:23 PM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

Thanks guys for the info on the cable.

The 25 pin serial port on the FANUC control works because we send and
receive CNC programs from a network computer in the office, to the CNC
control, no problems there.

Now I have connected a switch box to the port on the CNC control, to
switch between the computer in the office, or now to the locally
attached printer...when I get it to work.

I bought every cable, except the null modem cable, which the guy at
the store said I didn't need. I'll be going back to return those.

I was leaning towards the null modem cable also.

When I get things working, i'll let you all know how it went.

sammer


On 10 Oct 2004 20:11:51 -0700, 7ibehx001@sneakemail.com (Alan) wrote:

>samurai <sammer003@yahoo.ca.SPAM> wrote in message news:<3o8jm0p1opk3976pn3ba4j23fgebk022op@4ax.com>...
>> I've got an Epson LX-300+ that needs a serial printer cable. I'm
>> using the serial port because that machine, a CNC Milling machine with
>> a FANUC 18im control, only has a serial port(25pin F), and the port is
>> working fine. I've also set the parameters on the printer to match
>> the parameters of the controller.
>>
>> What kind of cable do I need, and what are the differences in all the
>> serial cables?? I looked at Startech.com, and there are so many
>> different types of serial cables. The Epson manual just says serial
>> cable, with no specs on pinout or wiring diagram. I also Googled for
>> "serial printer pinout" and got different answers. Some say straight
>> through, some say a Serial Modem cable, some say Null Modem cable,
>> some showed the pinouts with pins 2 and 3 crossed...I'm confused.
>
>I used one of these long ago for an HPII, the spec I used was for DB25
>(PC) to DB25 (printer):
>1-1
>2-3
>3-2
>5+6-20
>20-5+6
>7-7
>
>You can also use a DB9 connector.
>I'm pretty sure that every printer that uses serial uses the same
>pinout, look in some (older) printer manuals, many online.
Anonymous
October 12, 2004 12:31:08 AM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

"samurai" <sammer003@yahoo.ca.SPAM> wrote in message
news:q5dlm01na756h6s3mkped28njcf42rbh3u@4ax.com...
> Thanks guys for the info on the cable.
>
> The 25 pin serial port on the FANUC control works because we send and
> receive CNC programs from a network computer in the office, to the CNC
> control, no problems there.
>
> Now I have connected a switch box to the port on the CNC control, to
> switch between the computer in the office, or now to the locally
> attached printer...when I get it to work.
>
> I bought every cable, except the null modem cable, which the guy at
> the store said I didn't need. I'll be going back to return those.
>
> I was leaning towards the null modem cable also.
>
> When I get things working, i'll let you all know how it went.
>
> sammer
>
>
> On 10 Oct 2004 20:11:51 -0700, 7ibehx001@sneakemail.com (Alan) wrote:
>
> >samurai <sammer003@yahoo.ca.SPAM> wrote in message
news:<3o8jm0p1opk3976pn3ba4j23fgebk022op@4ax.com>...
> >> I've got an Epson LX-300+ that needs a serial printer cable. I'm
> >> using the serial port because that machine, a CNC Milling machine
with
> >> a FANUC 18im control, only has a serial port(25pin F), and the port
is
> >> working fine. I've also set the parameters on the printer to match
> >> the parameters of the controller.
> >>
> >> What kind of cable do I need, and what are the differences in all
the
> >> serial cables?? I looked at Startech.com, and there are so many
> >> different types of serial cables. The Epson manual just says
serial
> >> cable, with no specs on pinout or wiring diagram. I also Googled
for
> >> "serial printer pinout" and got different answers. Some say
straight
> >> through, some say a Serial Modem cable, some say Null Modem cable,
> >> some showed the pinouts with pins 2 and 3 crossed...I'm confused.
> >
> >I used one of these long ago for an HPII, the spec I used was for
DB25
> >(PC) to DB25 (printer):
> >1-1
> >2-3
> >3-2
> >5+6-20
> >20-5+6
> >7-7
> >
> >You can also use a DB9 connector.
> >I'm pretty sure that every printer that uses serial uses the same
> >pinout, look in some (older) printer manuals, many online.
>

Seems like I remember the FANUK uses only pins 2 and 3 and ground. The
printer will need to respond to software handshakes.

Don
July 24, 2009 9:40:26 AM

Serial (RS232) null modem cable (DB9-DB25). Pinout and signals for building a serial (RS232) nullmodem cable


DB9 DB25
Receive Data 2 - 2 Transmit Data
Transmit Data 3 - 3 Receive Data
Data Terminal Ready 4 - 6+8 Data Set Ready + Carrier Detect
System Ground 5 - 7 System Ground
Data Set Ready + Carrier Detect 6+1 - 20 Data Terminal Ready
Request to Send 7 - 5 Clear to Send
Clear to Send 8 - 4 Request to Send


Tested 100% working.......
!