My Network Places Ghost images

I changed the computer names on the three computers in my home network.
After rebooting, I still have the listings from the shares of the computer's
old names, but not the shares from the new names. I have even removed all
shared folders for now.

I was hoping the computer's master browser would detect the change and
adjust automatically, but it hasn't. I've even re-run the network Wizard.
How do I change that so it recognizes the new shares along with the new
names?

Do you have a router, in your network? Chances are they are coming from your
old DHCP server? When changing names it's always a good idea to power
everything down, wait a bit and then start with the internet connection and
work your way back.

--
David {MVP}
Microsoft Mobile Devices

benefit of all of us...
The MARA Program - http://www.mobileav.org/index.html

rights...

Spelling and grammar errors left in for those that need a little joy in
their life by correcting me.

"John Thomas" <Almanaticus@netscape.net> wrote in message
>I changed the computer names on the three computers in my home network.
>After rebooting, I still have the listings from the shares of the
>computer's old names, but not the shares from the new names. I have even
>removed all shared folders for now.
>
> I was hoping the computer's master browser would detect the change and
> adjust automatically, but it hasn't. I've even re-run the network Wizard.
> How do I change that so it recognizes the new shares along with the new
> names?

Yes, This is my setup: Cable Internet to a cable modem. That is connected to
a Linksys wireless router. That has a hardwire to my desktop (which has the
old images of previous shares). And it sends to a wireless laptop (which is
having networking problems of its own).

Im actually trying to rebuild/replace a home network with new equipment. I
had an old network that was setup very easily. Now, with all new computers
and equipment... Im having a hell of a time just making things work. But I
decided to take things one step at a time. At this point, nothing is
working... except that both computers have Internet. The home network itself
just doesn't seem to work, even with the Networking Wizard.

I know Im doing something wrong, and Im sure its very simple. But Ill power
everything down and start all over from scratch. I need this to work, so Im
open to any and all advice.

Thanks.

"David {MVP}" <dhettel@fuse.net> wrote in message
> Do you have a router, in your network? Chances are they are coming from
> your old DHCP server? When changing names it's always a good idea to power
> everything down, wait a bit and then start with the internet connection
> and work your way back.
>
> --
> David {MVP}
> Microsoft Mobile Devices
> Mobile AntiVirus Researchers Association

> benefit of all of us...
> The MARA Program - http://www.mobileav.org/index.html

> rights...
>

> Spelling and grammar errors left in for those that need a little joy in
> their life by correcting me.
>
> "John Thomas" <Almanaticus@netscape.net> wrote in message
>>I changed the computer names on the three computers in my home network.
>>After rebooting, I still have the listings from the shares of the
>>computer's old names, but not the shares from the new names. I have even
>>removed all shared folders for now.
>>
>> I was hoping the computer's master browser would detect the change and
>> adjust automatically, but it hasn't. I've even re-run the network Wizard.
>> How do I change that so it recognizes the new shares along with the new
>> names?

The fact that you can get to the internet suggest that you have a basic
TCP/IP connection to me. So I would then look to see that you do have "File
and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks" enabled for the Network card you
are using, on all computers. Then I would suggest going to your desktop and
right clicking on "My Computer" and then properties, to bring up "System
Properties" then click on the "Name" tab, and confirm that all computers are
in the SAME workgroup NAME. Also check to ensure that this name only uses A
to Z or 0 to 9. This will ensure the best compatibility.

--

> Yes, This is my setup: Cable Internet to a cable modem. That is connected
> to a Linksys wireless router. That has a hardwire to my desktop (which has
> the old images of previous shares). And it sends to a wireless laptop
> (which is having networking problems of its own).
>
> Im actually trying to rebuild/replace a home network with new equipment. I
> had an old network that was setup very easily. Now, with all new computers
> and equipment... Im having a hell of a time just making things work. But I
> decided to take things one step at a time. At this point, nothing is
> working... except that both computers have Internet. The home network
> itself just doesn't seem to work, even with the Networking Wizard.
>
> I know Im doing something wrong, and Im sure its very simple. But Ill
> power everything down and start all over from scratch. I need this to
> work, so Im open to any and all advice.
>
> Thanks.
>
> "David {MVP}" <dhettel@fuse.net> wrote in message
>> Do you have a router, in your network? Chances are they are coming from
>> your old DHCP server? When changing names it's always a good idea to
>> power everything down, wait a bit and then start with the internet
>> connection and work your way back.
>>
>> --
>> David {MVP}
>> Microsoft Mobile Devices
>> Mobile AntiVirus Researchers Association

>> benefit of all of us...
>> The MARA Program - http://www.mobileav.org/index.html

>> rights...
>>

>> Spelling and grammar errors left in for those that need a little joy in
>> their life by correcting me.
>>
>> "John Thomas" <Almanaticus@netscape.net> wrote in message
>>>I changed the computer names on the three computers in my home network.
>>>After rebooting, I still have the listings from the shares of the
>>>computer's old names, but not the shares from the new names. I have even
>>>removed all shared folders for now.
>>>
>>> I was hoping the computer's master browser would detect the change and
>>> adjust automatically, but it hasn't. I've even re-run the network
>>> Wizard. How do I change that so it recognizes the new shares along with
>>> the new names?

Thanks, David.
I did the shutdown as suggested, waited 15 minutes, and restarted from the
outside in. But the same images exist. Yes, both computers are using the
default workgroup name (shame). Also, both have 'file and printer sharing'
enabled.

The only changes I have made so far with the setup are:
* I went into the TCP/IP properties on both computers and changed from the
default to "NETBIOS over TCP/IP". That was a change suggested on most all
the 'tips' websites I have visited.
* In my Zone Alarm I added the range of 192.168.1.100-192.168.1.105 to the
Trusted Zone. (Although it is currently disabled for testing purposes until
I can get everything working).
*I turned the Windows Firewall off. (using the firewall in the router).

During the network Wizard process, I chose the configuration of: "Other/
Computers connect through a residential gateway to a cable modem to the
internet".

That's it. In my previous home network, all that made everything work just
fine. But now, I only get Internet. Neither computer sees each other, and
even the wireless laptop doesn't show the Windows default shares.

I've looked at most every troubleshooter website and tips listing, but
nothing seems to work. Im stumped.

> The fact that you can get to the internet suggest that you have a basic
> TCP/IP connection to me. So I would then look to see that you do have
> "File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks" enabled for the Network
> card you are using, on all computers. Then I would suggest going to your
> desktop and right clicking on "My Computer" and then properties, to bring
> up "System Properties" then click on the "Name" tab, and confirm that all
> computers are in the SAME workgroup NAME. Also check to ensure that this
> name only uses A to Z or 0 to 9. This will ensure the best compatibility.
>
> --
> David {MVP}
> Microsoft Mobile Devices
> Mobile AntiVirus Researchers Association

> benefit of all of us...
> The MARA Program - http://www.mobileav.org/index.html

> rights...
>

> Spelling and grammar errors left in for those that need a little joy in
> their life by correcting me.
>
> "John Thomas" <Almanaticus@netscape.net> wrote in message
>> Yes, This is my setup: Cable Internet to a cable modem. That is connected
>> to a Linksys wireless router. That has a hardwire to my desktop (which
>> has the old images of previous shares). And it sends to a wireless laptop
>> (which is having networking problems of its own).
>>
>> Im actually trying to rebuild/replace a home network with new equipment.
>> I had an old network that was setup very easily. Now, with all new
>> computers and equipment... Im having a hell of a time just making things
>> work. But I decided to take things one step at a time. At this point,
>> nothing is working... except that both computers have Internet. The home
>> network itself just doesn't seem to work, even with the Networking
>> Wizard.
>>
>> I know Im doing something wrong, and Im sure its very simple. But Ill
>> power everything down and start all over from scratch. I need this to
>> work, so Im open to any and all advice.
>>
>> Thanks.
>>
>> "David {MVP}" <dhettel@fuse.net> wrote in message
>>> Do you have a router, in your network? Chances are they are coming from
>>> your old DHCP server? When changing names it's always a good idea to
>>> power everything down, wait a bit and then start with the internet
>>> connection and work your way back.
>>>
>>> --
>>> David {MVP}
>>> Microsoft Mobile Devices
>>> Mobile AntiVirus Researchers Association
>>>
>>> Please post *ALL* questions and replies to the news group for the mutual
>>> benefit of all of us...
>>> The MS-MVP Program - http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
>>> The MARA Program - http://www.mobileav.org/index.html

>>> rights...
>>>

>>> Spelling and grammar errors left in for those that need a little joy in
>>> their life by correcting me.
>>>
>>> "John Thomas" <Almanaticus@netscape.net> wrote in message

I believe you may want to go back in an enable the NetBIOS over TCP/IP, I
think that will fix your problems. Or you may need to edit your host files
to add the computer names and address to them. I belive that's your problem.

--

> [...]
>>> Yes, This is my setup: Cable Internet to a cable modem. That is
>>> connected to a Linksys wireless router. That has a hardwire to my
>>> desktop (which has the old images of previous shares). And it sends to a
>>> wireless laptop (which is having networking problems of its own).
>>>
>>> Im actually trying to rebuild/replace a home network with new equipment.
>>> I had an old network that was setup very easily. Now, with all new
>>> computers and equipment... Im having a hell of a time just making things
>>> work. But I decided to take things one step at a time. At this point,
>>> nothing is working... except that both computers have Internet. The home
>>> network itself just doesn't seem to work, even with the Networking
>>> Wizard.
>>>
>>> I know Im doing something wrong, and Im sure its very simple. But Ill
>>> power everything down and start all over from scratch. I need this to

I *did* enable NetBIOS over TCP/IP, I guess I wasn't clear about that. I
simply changed from the default to 'Enable NetBIOS over TCP/IP'. (it didn't
work with the default either).

Also, I know about the HOSTS file. How would I add the computer names to it?
Could you suggest the appropriate lines for that?