James

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

in my processes I see the cidaemon and cisvc running and to my understanding
it relate to the indexing service. im getting all the bad stuff, like loud
noise coming from my pc....high cpu usage for the 2 services. so when I
went to turn indexing off in windows component, I found that it was not
checked. but I get all of the symptom

Well if you want to get rid of indexing, which is not needed at all and IMO
and wastes recourses compared to what it offers you, first goto add/remove
programs, add/remove windows components

Make sure Indexing Service is not checked. From there, open up explorer and
right click on your hard drive(s), go to properties, on the bottom unclick
allow indexing service to index for faster file searching or what ever it is.

| "James" <http://www.microsoft.com/communities/privacy.mspx >
| message news:%23XbqphHgEHA.704@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl
| in my processes I see the cidaemon and cisvc running and to my
| understanding it relate to the indexing service. im getting
| all the bad stuff, like loud noise coming from my pc....high
| cpu usage for the 2 services. so when I went to turn indexing
| off in windows component, I found that it was not checked.
| but I get all of the symptom

To stop the Index Service, and configure it so that it will not
start automatically...

Click Start, click Run, type the following command and click OK:

services.msc

Then locate the service named Indexing Service and double-click
it to open the Indexing Service Properties. Next, click the
button labeled Stop. Then once the Service status reads Stopped
click the drop-down arrow next to Startup type: and select
Manual.

BTW, for the 4 years that I have run the Index Service on my
computer that has a 20.4 GB Maxtor 20.4GB UDMA/100
5400rpm HD manufactured before the turn of the century, it has
never caused a "loud noise" to come from my PC. IIWY, I would
investigate further.

That is, once you have Stopped the Indexing Service try to
simulate the activity in a variety of ways so you can observe
whether or not other I/O activity causes the "loud noise".

I am not an expert in Disk Subsystem Technology, and I do not
have an anti-virus software product installed so I cannot test
this, but perhaps running a full scan of your hard drive with an
anti-virus application would simulate the activity.

Otherwise, I did a quick test with perfmon, cisvc and cidaemon,
Explorer (while searching) and Avg. Disk Bytes / Transfer and it
appears to me that you could simulate the disk I/O activity by
searching your %HOMEDRIVE% (most likely C:\) using very
common terms. For example:

All or part of the file name:

*.exe

A word or phrase in the file:

Microsoft

BTW, if you investigate, and if it is not to much trouble, please
post back and let us know the results.