What manufacturer is best? Radeon vs GeForce, which is best?

Sky347

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2005
Hello,

I am wanting to get a graphics card but I don't know which manufacturer is best to go with. And then I can't decide if I should go with a Radeon or GeForce.
Any help is greatly appreciated.

Dan

Sky347

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2005
For Example:
You can get a GeForce FX 5500 on any of the following:
Chaintech
Diablo Tek
XFX
Diamond Multimedia
etc.
I am wondering out of all the manufacturers which one is the best.

And then out of the Radeons and the GeForces which is better?

margag_

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2005
I second....BFG Nvidia, HIS ATI

Had good experiance with nvidia msi also....

For the question wich is best nvidia or ati well it depends of the games you are playing.... if you play more nvidia games take a nv if you play more with ati game go ati :roll:

RandalFlagg

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2003
HAY GUYS I JAST WANNA SAY THAT I GOT A VISINTECH MX440 THAT HAS 128 RAMS ON IT AND I CAN RUN MY 3DMARKS WITH HIGH SCORES SO YOU SHOULD LISTEN TO ME AND DO WAT I DO NOW BYE.

slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Had good experiance with nvidia msi also....
Ach! No! Not MSI! Not MSI! IIIIYEEEE!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Okay, now that I got that out of my system, seriously, MSI is dangerous. I've had the most problems with them. They lure you in with really good prices and features. But their quality control is really just crap. So sometimes when you buy MSI you get lucky and you get something that works as advertised for a great price. And other times when you buy MSI you get a PoS that you have to RMA. You just never know which you'll get until you get it.

And even then, MSI products usually have quirks. For example, my last MSI video card could never play one of the games that it came bundled with. No matter what drivers I installed, no matter what game patches I installed, it just never worked. Not even when I switched to nVidia's drivers instead. But then one day I get a new video card, and what do you know, the game works just fine. :eek: It was the video card, pure and simple. What did MSI do to make it not work for one game? (Especially a game that was bundled with the retail card?) Beats me. But that's MSI for you. They do things strangely over there.

glidingsmoothly

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2005
Lol thats funny the MSI graphics card I bought works fine for the games I like to play like WoW and UT2k4. But the game it came bundled with called Chronicles of Riddick seems buggy. The screen would start to jerk for a second for no reason at times.

I heard the game could also have issues with dual core cpus, so that could be a the reason or then again it could just be the graphics card lol. The game doesn't really interest me so I haven't looked further into the issue. It's funny that they would bundle with a buggy game though and not a game that would show off their product.

pauldh

Illustrious
I have used probably 20 MSI GF4Ti cards and still have 4 myself. (Ti4600, Ti4400, 2 Ti4200). I had problems with 1 Ti4400 that needed to be RMA'd back when first purchased. Other than that, no problems with the hardware. It's the MSI specific drivers I don't like, back from the GF2 days I have hated them and felt they were difficult to get rid of when all MSI update software and drivers were used. Just using the drivers off NV's site and I have been happy with their NV cards.

I'd still put my vote in for BFG or Gainward if I were buying a a new NV card. But priced right I personally would not shy away from any of them with PNY and XFX being last of the well know brands on my wish list.

cleeve

Illustrious
You can get a GeForce FX 5500 on any of the following:
And then out of the Radeons and the GeForces which is better?

First off, the 5500 sucks. Badly.

Next, Radeons and Geforces come in many different versions, and it's impossible to say that one is better than the other. Depending on how much you have to spend, your best choice might be a Radeon or Geforce.

So how much do you have to spend? If you only have enough for a Geforce 5500, get a Radeon x1300 PRO.

Sky347

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2005
I was just using the 5500 as an example.

The price isn't really a problem. The way I look at it is if it meets my needs and is going to last awhile then it's worth it.