Closed

Software Distribution folder safe to delete?

Is the Software Distribution folder safe to delete? It's gigantic.

Joe
12 answers Last reply
More about software distribution folder safe delete

    Are you running Microsoft Systems Management Server??

    http://search.microsoft.com/search/results.aspx?view=en-us&st=b&na=82&qu=Software+Distribution+folder&s=6

    http://tinyurl.com/3vcz8

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.
    Wes

    In news:Og0%23QpHgEHA.2028@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl,
    Joe727 <nospam@nospam.nospam> hunted and pecked:
    > Is the Software Distribution folder safe to delete? It's gigantic.
    >
    > Joe

    No - XP Pro SP2 RTM 2180.

    Joe

    > Are you running Microsoft Systems Management Server??
    >
    > http://search.microsoft.com/search/results.aspx?view=en-us&st=b&na=82&qu=Software+Distribution+folder&s=6
    >
    > http://tinyurl.com/3vcz8
    >
    > --
    > Hope this helps. Let us know.
    > Wes
    >
    > In news:Og0%23QpHgEHA.2028@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl,
    > Joe727 <nospam@nospam.nospam> hunted and pecked:
    >> Is the Software Distribution folder safe to delete? It's gigantic.
    >>
    >> Joe

    Joe,

    I was trying to figure out why you had a Software Distribution folder in the
    first place.

    What's in the Software Distribution folder?

    SP2 might be the key here.

    Product Name : Windows XP Service Pack 2 (SP2)
    Search for... Software Distribution folder
    http://tinyurl.com/5efx6

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.
    Wes

    In news:uzFCcGOgEHA.1048@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl,
    Joe727 <nospam@nospam.nospam> hunted and pecked:
    > No - XP Pro SP2 RTM 2180.
    >
    > Joe

    >> Are you running Microsoft Systems Management Server??

    http://search.microsoft.com/search/results.aspx?view=en-us&st=b&na=82&qu=Software+Distribution+folder&s=6

    >> http://tinyurl.com/3vcz8
    >>
    >> --
    >> Hope this helps. Let us know.
    >> Wes
    >>
    >> In news:Og0%23QpHgEHA.2028@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl,
    >> Joe727 <nospam@nospam.nospam> hunted and pecked:
    >>> Is the Software Distribution folder safe to delete? It's gigantic.
    >>>
    >>> Joe

    Here's a screen shot of the folder:

    http://home.cfl.rr.com/jbmsbink/Software%20Distribution%20folder.jpg

    Joe

    > Joe,
    >
    > I was trying to figure out why you had a Software Distribution folder in
    > the
    > first place.
    >
    > What's in the Software Distribution folder?
    >
    > SP2 might be the key here.
    >
    > Product Name : Windows XP Service Pack 2 (SP2)
    > Search for... Software Distribution folder
    > http://tinyurl.com/5efx6
    >
    > --
    > Hope this helps. Let us know.
    > Wes
    <snip>

    Here's what I've found.

    The %windir%\SoftwareDistribution folder was added in Windows XP SP2.
    That's F:\WINDOWS\SoftwareDistribution for you.

    I have no earthly idea if you should keep the Software Distribution folder
    or not.

    I have not installed SP2, so I have no idea what's in the folder, besides
    what your screenshot shows.

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.
    Wes

    In news:%23Tu4SRUgEHA.704@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl,
    Joe727 <nospam@nospam.nospam> hunted and pecked:
    > Here's a screen shot of the folder:
    >
    > http://home.cfl.rr.com/jbmsbink/Software%20Distribution%20folder.jpg
    >
    > Joe

    >> Joe,
    >>
    >> I was trying to figure out why you had a Software Distribution
    >> folder in the
    >> first place.
    >>
    >> What's in the Software Distribution folder?
    >>
    >> SP2 might be the key here.
    >>
    >> Product Name : Windows XP Service Pack 2 (SP2)
    >> Search for... Software Distribution folder
    >> http://tinyurl.com/5efx6
    >>
    >> --
    >> Hope this helps. Let us know.
    >> Wes
    > <snip>

    It's loaded with files and is 483 MB.

    Joe

    > Here's what I've found.
    >
    > The %windir%\SoftwareDistribution folder was added in Windows XP SP2.
    > That's F:\WINDOWS\SoftwareDistribution for you.
    >
    > I have no earthly idea if you should keep the Software Distribution folder
    > or not.
    >
    > I have not installed SP2, so I have no idea what's in the folder, besides
    > what your screenshot shows.
    >
    > --
    > Hope this helps. Let us know.
    > Wes
    >
    > In news:%23Tu4SRUgEHA.704@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl,
    > Joe727 <nospam@nospam.nospam> hunted and pecked:
    >> Here's a screen shot of the folder:
    >>
    >> http://home.cfl.rr.com/jbmsbink/Software%20Distribution%20folder.jpg
    >>
    >> Joe

    >>> Joe,
    >>>
    >>> I was trying to figure out why you had a Software Distribution
    >>> folder in the
    >>> first place.
    >>>
    >>> What's in the Software Distribution folder?
    >>>
    >>> SP2 might be the key here.
    >>>
    >>> Product Name : Windows XP Service Pack 2 (SP2)
    >>> Search for... Software Distribution folder
    >>> http://tinyurl.com/5efx6
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>> Hope this helps. Let us know.
    >>> Wes
    >> <snip>

    Joe,

    Found some more info. I do not use AutoUpdate so there is no
    SoftwareDistribution folder on my machine.

    According to my experts....

    The SoftwareDistribution folder is AutoUpdate.

    What is probably making it huge is SP2.

    Everything in the F:\SoftwareDistribution\Download folder can be deleted.
    If needed it will come back.

    If you delete the SoftwareDistribution\DataStore folder, you will
    lose your WU5 installation history.

    Note that you will need to stop the "Automatic Updates" service before
    you are allowed to delete the DataStore folder.

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.
    Wes

    In news:u2fFLqWgEHA.1356@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl,
    Joe727 <nospam@nospam.nospam> hunted and pecked:
    > It's loaded with files and is 483 MB.
    >
    > Joe

    >> Here's what I've found.
    >>
    >> The %windir%\SoftwareDistribution folder was added in Windows XP SP2.
    >> That's F:\WINDOWS\SoftwareDistribution for you.
    >>
    >> I have no earthly idea if you should keep the Software Distribution
    >> folder or not.
    >>
    >> I have not installed SP2, so I have no idea what's in the folder,
    >> besides what your screenshot shows.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Hope this helps. Let us know.
    >> Wes
    >>
    >> In news:%23Tu4SRUgEHA.704@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl,
    >> Joe727 <nospam@nospam.nospam> hunted and pecked:
    >>> Here's a screen shot of the folder:
    >>>
    >>> http://home.cfl.rr.com/jbmsbink/Software%20Distribution%20folder.jpg
    >>>
    >>> Joe

    >>> <snip>

    Ok - thanks for the info Wes. I don't use automatic updates, but I do go to
    Windows Update. I'll copy the folder to the desktop, delete it in the
    Windows directory and see what happens.

    Joe

    > Joe,
    >
    > Found some more info. I do not use AutoUpdate so there is no
    > SoftwareDistribution folder on my machine.
    >
    > According to my experts....
    >
    > The SoftwareDistribution folder is AutoUpdate.
    >
    > What is probably making it huge is SP2.
    >
    > Everything in the F:\SoftwareDistribution\Download folder can be deleted.
    > If needed it will come back.
    >
    > If you delete the SoftwareDistribution\DataStore folder, you will
    > lose your WU5 installation history.
    >
    > Note that you will need to stop the "Automatic Updates" service before
    > you are allowed to delete the DataStore folder.
    >
    > --
    > Hope this helps. Let us know.
    > Wes
    >
    > In news:u2fFLqWgEHA.1356@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl,
    > Joe727 <nospam@nospam.nospam> hunted and pecked:
    >> It's loaded with files and is 483 MB.
    >>
    >> Joe

    >>> Here's what I've found.
    >>>
    >>> The %windir%\SoftwareDistribution folder was added in Windows XP SP2.
    >>> That's F:\WINDOWS\SoftwareDistribution for you.
    >>>
    >>> I have no earthly idea if you should keep the Software Distribution
    >>> folder or not.
    >>>
    >>> I have not installed SP2, so I have no idea what's in the folder,
    >>> besides what your screenshot shows.
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>> Hope this helps. Let us know.
    >>> Wes
    >>>
    >>> In news:%23Tu4SRUgEHA.704@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl,
    >>> Joe727 <nospam@nospam.nospam> hunted and pecked:

    Deleted the Software Distribution folder. You were right about the Windows
    Update history. No big deal since I have the full distribution SP2 21.80
    from Microsoft on my PC.

    Thanks again for your help.

    Joe

    Keep having fun! ;-)

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.
    Wes

    In news:%23WJkZuggEHA.3264@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl,
    Joe727 <nospam@nospam.nospam> hunted and pecked:
    > Deleted the Software Distribution folder. You were right about the
    > Windows Update history. No big deal since I have the full
    > distribution SP2 21.80 from Microsoft on my PC.
    >
    > Thanks again for your help.
    >
    > Joe
    >
    > "Joe727" <nospam@nospam.nospam> wrote in message
    >> Ok - thanks for the info Wes. I don't use automatic updates, but I
    >> do go to Windows Update. I'll copy the folder to the desktop,
    >> delete it in the Windows directory and see what happens.
    >>
    >> Joe

    >>> Joe,
    >>>
    >>> Found some more info. I do not use AutoUpdate so there is no
    >>> SoftwareDistribution folder on my machine.
    >>>
    >>> According to my experts....
    >>>
    >>> The SoftwareDistribution folder is AutoUpdate.
    >>>
    >>> What is probably making it huge is SP2.
    >>>
    >>> Everything in the F:\SoftwareDistribution\Download folder can be
    >>> deleted. If needed it will come back.
    >>>
    >>> If you delete the SoftwareDistribution\DataStore folder, you will
    >>> lose your WU5 installation history.
    >>>
    >>> Note that you will need to stop the "Automatic Updates" service
    >>> before you are allowed to delete the DataStore folder.
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>> Hope this helps. Let us know.
    >>> Wes
    >>>
    >>> In news:u2fFLqWgEHA.1356@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl,
    >>> Joe727 <nospam@nospam.nospam> hunted and pecked:

  11. www.tooLongPath.com saved me lot of time for solving this problem
  12. This topic has been closed by Buwish

Distribution Software Microsoft Windows XP