PSU Upgrade

CopaceticElvis

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2005
Here's one from left-field...

I have an HP Media Center with a 300W PSU. Would like to up my video card to something adequate like the connect3D Radeon X800GTO 256 (with some OC perhaps). I doubt 300W would cut it with that card and all of the other things in my box. So I am thinking of a new PSU, but not sure if I will be able to get a higher watt PSU to fit in the standard HP MC case. Any comments or ideas?

Not in a position to build my own system (Bank of Wife has denied that loan) and would like to update things to get better gaming frames than what my stock ATI x600 gets me. Would appreciate any assistance one may have.

Thanks.

'Elvis

Teh_Catman

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2005
I have an Hp a1250n and will be replacing PSU in a few weeks. According to HP a PSU upgrade is fine and wont void the warranty. Also I think HP are morons for making systems like these with 300 watt psu's.

CopaceticElvis

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2005
Well and good on the warranty worry, but can I get a better PSU to fit in the box? That's what I am worried about.

Any comments on a decent video card for approx. $200?

'Elvis
p.s. - thanks for the initial reply.

Teh_Catman

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2005
as I said I have an a1250n and its more than big enought to fit a new PSU, and since HP used this case for mainly all of there comps I'd say you have enough room. However I dont know what model you have.

As for a vid card for $200 I'm Canadian so thats an X300 or 6200 LOL.

I don't think that space will be an issue, unless you have micro ATX or SFF case. Your biggest concern will be rear panel possibly being proprietray - you may have to do some work with a dremel to get a standard ATX PSU to fit properly.

OEMs typically use good PSUs in their systems. I'd see if the card would work with that PSU first...

CopaceticElvis

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2005
Never really thought about proprietary issues, but that's a good point.

As for keeping the original PSU and seeing how a new card would fair...I am thinking of doing that. I have just been somewhat leery of that since most card makers recommend 350W of more.

Since I am leaning towards the connect3D Radeon X800GTO 256, I would think a better PSU would be needed especially if I unlock all the pipes and bump the clocks up a little.

Thanks for the comments.

'Elvis

Mfrs have to assume that the PSU in the system is a POS, so they raise the bar a little bit. Stock, you may be OK, but with heavy OCing, you'll be pounding the PSU. Just monitor for stability in the system and on the voltage rails. If it becomes unstable, then replace the PSU.

TRENDING THREADS