Sign in with
Your question

Motherboard HOTTER than CPU!

Last response: in Motherboards
December 1, 2005 4:44:47 AM

I just got done building a new gaming PC, it's been about a week and everything seems to be okay. One problem, I just started monitoring my mobo and cpu temps and I am a little worried because I can't pinpoint the problem. My CPU idles at 35C but my motherboard idles at 53C!!! My setup:

Athlon 64 3700
ASUS A8N-SLI Deluxe
XFX 7800GTX 256
NeoPower 480 PSU
Creative X-Fi soundcard
3 gigs RAM
Plextor DVD R/W
WD Raptor 74gig
WD 160gig

Does anyone know why my motherboard is so freakin hot? Nothing is overclocked...

More about : motherboard hotter cpu

December 1, 2005 6:15:42 AM

Is your chipset fan plugged in and working?
December 1, 2005 4:54:40 PM

I've got the same board. The temp idles about the same as yours. I think it's the heatpipe design... while it's cool looking and quiet, it's still not "better" than a HSF solution. But they had to do it to accomodate for the 16x PCI-E slot. Also, if you look closely you'll notice they put the heatsink on at a strange angle... 20% of the die is not covered by the heatsink.

I wouldn't worry. Also consider that AMD processors runs considerably cooler. Intel processors for example run over 50C all the time. :-)

-mpjesse
Related resources
December 1, 2005 4:55:47 PM

Quote:
Is your chipset fan plugged in and working?

This board has a heatpipe design. No fan. Which sucks as far as cooling is concerned.
December 1, 2005 11:24:34 PM

No this is the Deluxe version, not the Premium, so it still has a chipset heatsink/fan combo.
December 2, 2005 7:10:58 PM

You could ad a case fan to take the hot air out of the box and create a flow in your case would help a lot if you d'ont mind the fan noise...

a 3 inch fan from a old power supply could do the trick :wink:
December 2, 2005 7:59:12 PM

I have a full tower that is very well ventilated, so I don't think that is the problem. I just want to know why my mobo is hotter than my cpu.
December 6, 2005 4:33:12 AM

Quote:
No this is the Deluxe version, not the Premium, so it still has a chipset heatsink/fan combo.

Right. forgot about that.

-mpjesse
December 6, 2005 6:04:01 AM

I have already stated the obvious answer to this in the other post u put up. it all comes down to the chipset fan. the original fan supplied with the mobo is SHIT in capital letters..... I got my old fan and heatsink RMA'ed and now I am happy the chipset fan speed is 5000 - 5800 RPM but the cooling diff is enormous.
December 6, 2005 9:44:25 PM

I used a thermometer to measure my mobo, chipset, and cpu. The readings are correct. It's the chipset that is burning up my mobo. The stock FHS looks like it sucks. I'm looking at replacing it with this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16835103169. I just hope there is enough room... the stupid chip is right between my two graphic cards.
December 7, 2005 11:03:21 AM

Seems to be a good choice but it will according to me NOT fit in the small cavity....
sorry but that is how it is..
I looked at something of that sort but couldnt get it .
but you can get it its I think thermaltake and that will fit in the given space
December 9, 2005 4:26:03 AM

My system temps on this board are also consistenly higher than my CPU temps.

Idle I am typically at:

cpu: 32-35c
system 37-40c ish.
December 12, 2005 5:39:56 AM

Well your tems are within range altough you didnt specify its at full load or idle I am presuming it to be at idle if so its allright too..
Well within range.
!