Lost Serial Number, who can I contact?

August 12, 2004 12:27:05 PM

I need to reactivate my copy cause of significant hardware changes, and I
can't find my original CD. Who can I contact, or is it even possible to
contact someone in this matter?
Anonymous
August 12, 2004 2:17:27 PM

If this was a retail version of XP not an OEM version you can contact
Microsoft (see bottom of page)
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;en-us;326246

If this was an OEM version - XP came preinstalled on your system - then you
need to contact the vender.

--

Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
www.webtree.ca/windowsxp

"Derek" <Derek@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I need to reactivate my copy cause of significant hardware changes, and I
> can't find my original CD. Who can I contact, or is it even possible to
> contact someone in this matter?
Anonymous
August 12, 2004 10:48:48 PM

Greetings --

The Windows 25-character Product Key (required to perform the
installation) is stored on the CD packaging on a bright orange sticker
that says "Do not lose this number." If it was an OEM (factory
installed) license, it's stored on a label that the PC manufacturer
affixed to the exterior of the PC case, or on the bottom of a laptop.

To recover a lost Product Key:

If your system still runs, you should be able to use Belarc
Advisor from http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html to find the
Product Key. (If you have a factory-installed OEM license, and
haven't since reinstalled the OS, the revealed Product Key is probably
of the drive image used at the factory and not _your_ specific Product
Key; therefore, it probably cannot be -- and definitely should not
be -- used for a re-installation.)

If it was a retail license and you have proof of purchase:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;en-us;326246

If it was an OEM license, you should contact whomever sold you the
OS; although very few manufacturers/vendors keep records of the
Product Keys they've sold, it's worth a try before you have to buy a
new license.

Bruce Chambers
--
Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

having both at once. - RAH

"Derek" <Derek@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I need to reactivate my copy cause of significant hardware changes,
>and I
> can't find my original CD. Who can I contact, or is it even possible
> contact someone in this matter?
August 19, 2004 2:43:04 PM

Hi derek,
you can reactivate your software without your CD. Just call the phone no
given in the activation wizard the customer support will be able to help you.

!