Lost Serial Number, who can I contact?

I need to reactivate my copy cause of significant hardware changes, and I
can't find my original CD. Who can I contact, or is it even possible to
contact someone in this matter?
3 answers Last reply
More about lost serial number contact

    If this was a retail version of XP not an OEM version you can contact
    Microsoft (see bottom of page)
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;en-us;326246

    If this was an OEM version - XP came preinstalled on your system - then you
    need to contact the vender.

    --

    Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
    www.webtree.ca/windowsxp

    "Derek" <Derek@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I need to reactivate my copy cause of significant hardware changes, and I
    > can't find my original CD. Who can I contact, or is it even possible to
    > contact someone in this matter?

    Greetings --

    The Windows 25-character Product Key (required to perform the
    installation) is stored on the CD packaging on a bright orange sticker
    that says "Do not lose this number." If it was an OEM (factory
    installed) license, it's stored on a label that the PC manufacturer
    affixed to the exterior of the PC case, or on the bottom of a laptop.

    To recover a lost Product Key:

    If your system still runs, you should be able to use Belarc
    Advisor from http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html to find the
    Product Key. (If you have a factory-installed OEM license, and
    haven't since reinstalled the OS, the revealed Product Key is probably
    of the drive image used at the factory and not _your_ specific Product
    Key; therefore, it probably cannot be -- and definitely should not
    be -- used for a re-installation.)

    If it was a retail license and you have proof of purchase:

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;en-us;326246

    If it was an OEM license, you should contact whomever sold you the
    OS; although very few manufacturers/vendors keep records of the
    Product Keys they've sold, it's worth a try before you have to buy a
    new license.

    Bruce Chambers
    --
    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    having both at once. - RAH

    "Derek" <Derek@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I need to reactivate my copy cause of significant hardware changes,
    >and I
    > can't find my original CD. Who can I contact, or is it even possible
    > contact someone in this matter?

    Hi derek,
    you can reactivate your software without your CD. Just call the phone no
    given in the activation wizard the customer support will be able to help you.

    "Derek" wrote:

    > I need to reactivate my copy cause of significant hardware changes, and I
    > can't find my original CD. Who can I contact, or is it even possible to
    > contact someone in this matter?

Hardware Microsoft CD-Rom Windows XP