GeForce 6600GT 3d lock ups

Anthos

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2005
i used to have a GeForce 6600GT (eagle) which was running great except when day it simply died. I took it where i had bought it and they replaced it with an inno 6600 which was also running great but i noticed that they gave me a wrong mdoel (it wasn't a GT) so i took that back as well and they gave me a proper GT model (i think it's prolink, doesn't state anywhere the brand), and for the past week 've had it, it keeps locking up in games after some random time... In some games it crashes, in others it gives me the blue screen of death and in others the game just freezes with the sound keep going...
My rig is:
Pentium 4 3.2 Ghz
1GB RAM
Sound blaster audigy 2 zs
PSU 450W

I've heard that for the psu it must have on +12V at least 18A and i checked that mine has 15A. I don't know if that's wrong though since the previous (6600GT,6600) gfx cards worked just fine with it...

mpjesse

Splendid
try a couple things:

1. make sure your using the latest forceware drivers from nvidia's website. if you are, reinstall the drivers

2. make sure you've got the latest motherboard drivers

3. Remove a stick of RAM and see if that makes a difference. Keep trying different RAM configurations with different DIMMs, you might have bad memory somewhere.

4. if you still get the lockups, replace the video card- it's probably bad.

I doubt it's the power supply since other cards worked fine in it.

-mpjesse

Anthos

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2005
well i've tried more than 10 different nvidia drivers official ones and modified, i have the latest mobo and chipset drivers, ran memtest and found no error about the memory....

Anthos

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2005
What's strange with this card is that at the first few days when i was playing nfs most wanted it was locking up quite a lot and out of the many times i had run 3d mark 05 only once it completed. Now most wanted only gives me sometimes artifacts which disappear when i alt-tab out of and again into the game, and 3d mark completes just fine. Fifa 06 though crashes within 5 minutes and in direct diagnostic tools it says that agp textured acceleration is disable and i have to restart to fix it and serious sam 2 used to hang up after an hour or so now hangs after some minutes as well. It's like somethings make the card crash and others don't which isn't much logical... So i am not too sure if it's the card to blame or a possible combatibility issue....

jocksteeluk

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2006
ive had a similar problem with my bfg variant of this card. what you need to do is remove the dust from the gpu fan and heatsink it sounds like it may be running slightly high heat wise, forget the threasholds if it goes over 65c its gonna crash, well thats what i found anyway.

bumfodderboy

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2004
SAME exact problem here... I have an evga 6600GT agp.. it enjoys freezing for 2-10 seconds randomly in games like FarCry and Halo.. and coming up with fatal exceptions in F.E.A.R., stuttering in 3dMark05.. etc etc etc. I felt the heatsink to check for overheating, but it felt cool. I also tried numerous drivers buuuttt nothing good. I even modded the bios to disable the 2d/3d performance throttleing, and enabled my temperature monitoring (since it is disabled by default) but it didnt help. So then i dumped my box and reinstalled XP with standard drivers, hoping that would help. Nope. About ready to smash the POS in, i decided to check the heatsink again for overheating. It was cool to the touch, but then i had a hunch to chech the part of the heatsink not covered by the doom3 logo on my card, pretty much the bottom of the heatsink --- it is the part that cools the HSI (High Speed Interconnect) module that converts the card from a PCI-Express card to AGP. Nearly burnt my damn fingers off touching it. Im figuring the main problem for my card is inaquedate cooling for the HSI. Sooooooo I'm gonna put a custom fan on that part of the eatsink and see if that solves my problem. If not, I'm either gonna RMA it or return it for a different card.

prometheas

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2005
Really? I have the evga 6600gt agp and it works great... check my sig for my specs... and i run it on like an 18A rail... only problem was cod2 made it lag like hell but new drivers fix that... btw i have it OC 550/1000 no artifacts whatsoever....

bumfodderboy

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2004
Im running a 300 watt sparkle.. with only 12A on the 12v rail. :oops: never had a problem with my old radeon 9550 with it, but just to be sure ill be slapping in a 450 watt codegen in tonite to be sure its not a faulty card.

Ahzarelly

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2006
Sorry to be posting this here, but my problem is the same. Just got a evga GForce 6600 GT, and its locking my computer up whenever I use any graphic intensive game. Quake 3 on normal video config runs normal, but if I crank up the AA and Anisotropic Filtering, it locks in 1-2 mins of play. Any newer game locks up just the same. I've tried some of the solutions found here, like new drivers, new agp drivers, new bios, i've also tried it on another computer, but the results are the same.

Touching the video card it feels very hot, but the heatsink is working. My PSU for the 1st computer says 450 W of output, with 18A on the +12 V rail. For the 2nd computer the PSU says 350 W with 16A on +12.

I'm pretty sure the problem is heating, but what's causing it? Should I try to replace the PSU (I'm having doubts about it)? Should I replace the card?

The specs for the 1st computer are:
Asus P4S533-MX MB
P4 2.0 Ghz
1GB RAM
Sound Blaster 16 PCI

2nd Computer:
Asus P4S8000 MB
P4 3.0 Ghz
1GB RAM

Any ideas are welcome.
Thanks.

WJC

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2006
:? Same problem, I have an EVGA 6600 GT (AGP version) that display similar symptoms as all the Guys mentioned in the previous postings.

I have tried everything I know, cleaning the heat sink, replacing thermal compound, running AMD system, tried 3 diff Intel systems, drivers from EVGA, drivers from NVIDIA.

I have given up on this card. Just placed an order for my XFX 7800 GT (can’t wait anymore for this baby)

Any advice on solving this would be welcome.

My rig was:
AMD 2600 XP Barton core.
Asus A7N8X E deluxe mobo.
1 Gig XMS corsair pro series (2 x 512)
420 Watt Antec PSU
160 Gig Seagate SATA 150 HDD

bumfodderboy

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2004
gay festivities :( Im now emailing EVGA tech support for possible solutions for this problem. Hopefully they will either compe up with a solution, or I will RMA this board :evil: im hoping the RMA'd card i receive is also not defective. This card received 5 eggs on newegg...