Triple screen for new PC

bearwolf

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2005
I am building my dream PC and I am stuck in choosing my graphics card.

I have narrowed my card choice down to the following

Sapphire Radeon X800gto2
or
XFX GEFORCE 6800GS

I also use 3 screens at present on my current PC and I would like to keep this setup.

Both these cards have dual monitor outputs can I just buy another cheap PCI express card to run the other screen (just used for emails ect)? and stick it in the other SLI slot?

Any help would be appreciated

mpjesse

Splendid
Both these cards have dual monitor outputs can I just buy another cheap PCI express card to run the other screen (just used for emails ect)? and stick it in the other SLI slot?

No. The other SLI slot is specifically designed for SLI links only. It won't work.

If you really need 3 screens, then get the 2x 6800GS's for SLI. That configuration will support up to 4 displays.

-mpjesse

No. The other SLI slot is specifically designed for SLI links only. It won't work.

No the PEG slots CAN work together without SLi, although you wind up with 16X + 1/2X in most boards.

However it will work.

If you really need 3 screens, then get the 2x 6800GS's for SLI.

SLi won't help 3 screens. So depending on his level of gaming that may be a waste of money. A GF6800GS+GF6200 or X800GTO2 + X300 would offer a far better solution for occasional gaming.

Even for gaming, personally I'd say for the price of 2 GS, get a GF7800GT and a GF6200, or X1800XL and X300. Give you more overall performance, and less power consumption when doing more mundane tasks.

Yes you can. Same for Crossfire boards.

And if you want to keep one of your old AGP cards, you could add the above cards with your old AGP card, using a ULi based motherboard like this one;

http://www.tomshardware.com/motherboard/20050811/index.html

bearwolf

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2005
Thank you all for the excellent advise especially TGGA.

I have been reading reveiws and specs on Graphics cards for ages and it all so confusing to me.

But now I am ready to get my system together as follows

Instead of two GF 6800 GS cost £282.52

I will get on the advise of TGGA

1 Point of View 7800GT with Call of duty 2 free
1 XFX GF 6200

Total cost £221.82

This gives me 3 DVI connectors for my 3 screens for work
Then The power of the 7800GT for a game or two after work.
and in a while when prices drop I can add another 7800Gt in SLI mode.

Nice one

Rest of my Rig

Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe
Athlon 64 x2 4200
OCZ Platinum EL Dual 2x512 PC3200 CL 2-3-2-5
2 x WD 3200JD Raid

Thanks again folks any comment on above will be very appreciated

Jeff

I googled and found no reviews on the AsRock 939Dual-SATA2 board, but it looks promising.

There are a few out there, here's another one from the 'Anon' site;

http://www.anandtech.com/mb/showdoc.aspx?i=2524

and then the first review of the Uli chipset from HKepc which did some very interesting things with multi-monitors, Crossfire and SLi;

http://www.hkepc.com/hwdb/m1695-uli-1.htm

Of course still waiting for either ATi or nVidia to adopt SurroundGaming, and then Wah-zoo in like Flynn! :roll: :lol: :roll:

Then The power of the 7800GT for a game or two after work.
and in a while when prices drop I can add another 7800Gt in SLI mode.

Just remember that while in SLi mode the drivers still don't play well with multi-monitor. At least you no longer have to reboot to switch from SLi to multi-mon though.

If you're serious about your multi-monitor work I'd suggest looking at true multi-monitor software like UltraMon. Be sure to check for your needs/apps to see what fit's your needs best, but almost always you can find a 3rd party app that will do it better than nV's included nView (and Hydravision for ATi).

Good luck, sounds like a nice rig.

Be sure to paint racing flames on the side, cause it'll go faster then. :twisted: