i need some help picking a card

inuyashafly

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2005
i have gone back and forth between ati cards. but i want to get the parts from my local store but they dont sell A. the card i wanted Saphire x800gto2 and 2. ANY crossfire board. so i'm looking into geforce i havent even started looking really. I want to know what i need to get be as specific as you can please. here is my decided specs sofar

amd 64 4000
I had wanted a8r mvp and the saphire card
1 gig kingsten value(should i get 2?)
200 sata seagate maybe i dont really care
some dvd rw dont care again

now i need a bad ass card BUT i neeed the best deal wich is why i was going to get the saphire and softmod it because the chips were underclocked etc. i dont like overclocking. so i need the best for my buck please.

mpjesse

Splendid
Good lord. You are about as indecisive as my dog.

Question: how much can you spend on a video card? You should know that at least.

We can't make good recommendations unless you give us a price point.

If you're going to go with an nvidia card, you might as well get an SLI motherboard. This way you can buy another matched card in the future to boost performance without having to trash everything else. Same goes for ATI. Get a crossfire motherboard if u want to go w/ ATI.

-mpjesse

inuyashafly

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2005
I wouldnt say im too indecisive. i had decided on a card, but i wanted to get all the parts from my local store. they didnt have that card or any crossfire boards so i have to swich to nvidia so i could get a sli board.

heres the thing i can literaly spend as much as i want. but i want the best for my money.(i'm usually broke but now i have a bunch of money and im not getting anymore soon)

so there is my delema i cant get the top cuz chances are it not really worth the money so i need to get the best that will be a good price. i've been looking around and im actully thinking the 7800 gt maybe.

mpjesse

Splendid
If money is not issue then get the 7800GT. Why are you so set on buying from your local computer store? Loyalty?

If you want the best bang for your buck, buy off of newegg.com

-mpjesse

inuyashafly

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2005
its not that big a deal it would just be a lot easier and i like to go there, i like the people, dont have to bother with waiting for it to come in the mail, if somthing out of the ordinary goes wrong there wouldnt be much of a hassle things like that. im not dead set on it but i'd like to so....

are there like only 3 of you guys who know alot? I mean i know plenty about what i research and stuff but there only seems to be a couple guys who can awser most question. and you think GT not GTX?

dhlucke

Polypheme
If you're going to get a Nvidia card get the 7800GT unless you have a ton of money and can afford the GTX. You pay a premium for that extra bit of performance.

Only get 2GB of memory if you have a use for it. A game like Battlefield2 will take advantage of it as will video encoding.

For a DVD burner, spend $40 on a NEC, Lite-On, or BenQ drive.

Seagate makes good drives. I personally stick to Western Digitial but that's up to you.

dhlucke

Polypheme
You could be paying a rather large premium to shop locally. At least check monarchcomputer and newegg before you buy so that you know how much more you're spending to get things there.