need help with boeing 747

Hi, fellow flyers,

I have problems with the 747 in FS2002, particulary with landing. Most of
the time I'm used to flying with the 777. Microsoft supplies detailed
instructions for the 777:
at 20nm from the airport be at 10000 feet with 250IAS
15nm 210IAS flaps 1,
etcetera.
Can someone please give me similar instructions for the 747?
The problems that I have has to do with slowing down the plane: it takes
forever to slow the 747 down! When I come in for the final approach I end up
too high and too fast.
Any help would be appreciated.

Regards,

Marc
4 answers Last reply
More about need boeing

    "Marc Wiselius" <RemoveThis.m.wiselius@chello.nl> wrote in message
    > Hi, fellow flyers,
    >
    > I have problems with the 747 in FS2002, particulary with landing. Most of
    > the time I'm used to flying with the 777. Microsoft supplies detailed
    > instructions for the 777:
    > at 20nm from the airport be at 10000 feet with 250IAS
    > 15nm 210IAS flaps 1,
    > etcetera.
    > Can someone please give me similar instructions for the 747?
    > The problems that I have has to do with slowing down the plane: it takes
    > forever to slow the 747 down! When I come in for the final approach I end
    > up too high and too fast.
    > Any help would be appreciated.
    >
    > Regards,
    >
    > Marc

    Marc, 10,000ft in 20nm is a steep descent. Even with flight idle power
    setting you will need use speed brakes to keep below 250kt on the ASI. And
    remember you need to be flying level to intercept the localiser at around
    10nm from the airport.

    Start your descent earlier.

    Cheers,
    John

    I agree with John on that one. I don't fly the 747 these days, just the
    baby 737 and Concorde, however I think my approach would work for anything
    else and I did use it on the PSS747 many times. Basically I'm cautious. I
    normally program my approaches such that I'm down to around 2500' - 3000' as
    I turn onto the localiser at between 12 - 15 miles.

    I reckon if your at flaps 5 as you turn and around 210kts you are 30kts
    above stall even for a fully laden overweight emergency landing at
    880,000Lb. Once turned and established on the localiser dial 160kts and
    flaps 10 then watch the glideslope come alive. As the glideslope comes
    alive flaps 20 and drop the gear.

    By the time the glideslope is captured you should have landing flaps set and
    a speed of maybe 150 dialled unless your really heavy (You only want about
    20 tons of fuel left for a normal landing). Some may argue with the speed I
    suggest as many seem to come in at 170/180kts. I do not believe this is
    either realistic or helping to land in a controlled manner.

    If you follow all of the above you should be slowed and in landing
    configuration quite a few miles out, such that you can relax and enjoy the
    last phase of the flight.

    Once you have tried the suggested approach a few times you can then compress
    things a little as you will be comfortable with the way it flies. That said
    the relaxed and controlled landing that this will achieve is not a million
    miles from the real thing, just a slightly longer run in than some.

    You may want to consider buying the PSS 747 for 2002 if your still running
    that FS version.

    http://www.phoenix-simulation.co.uk/default.asp?pss=browseproducts&images=checked&catid=183&nm=Boeing+747%2D400+2k2

    It's only £10 and comes with comprehensive documentation, great panels and
    an FMC (Not the best I have to say). It won't run in FS9 though.

    One final point, the 737 is slippier than the 747 and that slows at around
    10kts per NM travelled if you want a rough guideline. Having said that I'm
    talking about the real bird, I don't know how the MS version compares to
    this.

    HTH

    Geoff

    "John Ewing" <none@needed> wrote in message

    > "Marc Wiselius" <RemoveThis.m.wiselius@chello.nl> wrote in message
    > > Hi, fellow flyers,
    > >
    > > I have problems with the 747 in FS2002, particulary with landing. Most
    of
    > > the time I'm used to flying with the 777. Microsoft supplies detailed
    > > instructions for the 777:
    > > at 20nm from the airport be at 10000 feet with 250IAS
    > > 15nm 210IAS flaps 1,
    > > etcetera.
    > > Can someone please give me similar instructions for the 747?
    > > The problems that I have has to do with slowing down the plane: it takes
    > > forever to slow the 747 down! When I come in for the final approach I
    end
    > > up too high and too fast.
    > > Any help would be appreciated.
    > >
    > > Regards,
    > >
    > > Marc
    >
    > Marc, 10,000ft in 20nm is a steep descent. Even with flight idle power
    > setting you will need use speed brakes to keep below 250kt on the ASI.
    And
    > remember you need to be flying level to intercept the localiser at around
    > 10nm from the airport.
    >
    > Start your descent earlier.
    >
    > Cheers,
    > John

    PMDG is coming... still a good 6 months off though I suspect. No official
    date set yet.

    On Mon, 7 Mar 2005 23:06:24 -0500, Arthur wrote:

    > Marcel......go outside and take a nice walk in the fresh air. You'll feel
    > better in no time : )

    Fresh air? What's that?
    This is Europe. We have no fresh air here. It's all be exported to Canada.
    :-)

    --

    Marcel
    (If you've gotta be part of a group, be part of a group of simmers!)

Games Microsoft Video Games