Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

need help with boeing 747

Last response: in Video Games
Share
Anonymous
March 6, 2005 2:07:13 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

Hi, fellow flyers,

I have problems with the 747 in FS2002, particulary with landing. Most of
the time I'm used to flying with the 777. Microsoft supplies detailed
instructions for the 777:
at 20nm from the airport be at 10000 feet with 250IAS
15nm 210IAS flaps 1,
etcetera.
Can someone please give me similar instructions for the 747?
The problems that I have has to do with slowing down the plane: it takes
forever to slow the 747 down! When I come in for the final approach I end up
too high and too fast.
Any help would be appreciated.

Regards,

Marc

More about : boeing 747

Anonymous
March 7, 2005 3:25:04 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

"Marc Wiselius" <RemoveThis.m.wiselius@chello.nl> wrote in message
news:BvBWd.296386$PH1.183412@amsnews05.chello.com...
> Hi, fellow flyers,
>
> I have problems with the 747 in FS2002, particulary with landing. Most of
> the time I'm used to flying with the 777. Microsoft supplies detailed
> instructions for the 777:
> at 20nm from the airport be at 10000 feet with 250IAS
> 15nm 210IAS flaps 1,
> etcetera.
> Can someone please give me similar instructions for the 747?
> The problems that I have has to do with slowing down the plane: it takes
> forever to slow the 747 down! When I come in for the final approach I end
> up too high and too fast.
> Any help would be appreciated.
>
> Regards,
>
> Marc

Marc, 10,000ft in 20nm is a steep descent. Even with flight idle power
setting you will need use speed brakes to keep below 250kt on the ASI. And
remember you need to be flying level to intercept the localiser at around
10nm from the airport.

Start your descent earlier.

Cheers,
John
Anonymous
March 7, 2005 3:25:05 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

I agree with John on that one. I don't fly the 747 these days, just the
baby 737 and Concorde, however I think my approach would work for anything
else and I did use it on the PSS747 many times. Basically I'm cautious. I
normally program my approaches such that I'm down to around 2500' - 3000' as
I turn onto the localiser at between 12 - 15 miles.

I reckon if your at flaps 5 as you turn and around 210kts you are 30kts
above stall even for a fully laden overweight emergency landing at
880,000Lb. Once turned and established on the localiser dial 160kts and
flaps 10 then watch the glideslope come alive. As the glideslope comes
alive flaps 20 and drop the gear.

By the time the glideslope is captured you should have landing flaps set and
a speed of maybe 150 dialled unless your really heavy (You only want about
20 tons of fuel left for a normal landing). Some may argue with the speed I
suggest as many seem to come in at 170/180kts. I do not believe this is
either realistic or helping to land in a controlled manner.

If you follow all of the above you should be slowed and in landing
configuration quite a few miles out, such that you can relax and enjoy the
last phase of the flight.

Once you have tried the suggested approach a few times you can then compress
things a little as you will be comfortable with the way it flies. That said
the relaxed and controlled landing that this will achieve is not a million
miles from the real thing, just a slightly longer run in than some.

You may want to consider buying the PSS 747 for 2002 if your still running
that FS version.

http://www.phoenix-simulation.co.uk/default.asp?pss=bro...

It's only £10 and comes with comprehensive documentation, great panels and
an FMC (Not the best I have to say). It won't run in FS9 though.

One final point, the 737 is slippier than the 747 and that slows at around
10kts per NM travelled if you want a rough guideline. Having said that I'm
talking about the real bird, I don't know how the MS version compares to
this.


HTH

Geoff






"John Ewing" <none@needed> wrote in message
news:422b12a1$0$11529$afc38c87@news.optusnet.com.au...
>
> "Marc Wiselius" <RemoveThis.m.wiselius@chello.nl> wrote in message
> news:BvBWd.296386$PH1.183412@amsnews05.chello.com...
> > Hi, fellow flyers,
> >
> > I have problems with the 747 in FS2002, particulary with landing. Most
of
> > the time I'm used to flying with the 777. Microsoft supplies detailed
> > instructions for the 777:
> > at 20nm from the airport be at 10000 feet with 250IAS
> > 15nm 210IAS flaps 1,
> > etcetera.
> > Can someone please give me similar instructions for the 747?
> > The problems that I have has to do with slowing down the plane: it takes
> > forever to slow the 747 down! When I come in for the final approach I
end
> > up too high and too fast.
> > Any help would be appreciated.
> >
> > Regards,
> >
> > Marc
>
> Marc, 10,000ft in 20nm is a steep descent. Even with flight idle power
> setting you will need use speed brakes to keep below 250kt on the ASI.
And
> remember you need to be flying level to intercept the localiser at around
> 10nm from the airport.
>
> Start your descent earlier.
>
> Cheers,
> John
>
>
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
March 7, 2005 2:44:50 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

PMDG is coming... still a good 6 months off though I suspect. No official
date set yet.

"GeoffC" <geoff_noise@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:D 0fau8$1i7$1$8300dec7@news.demon.co.uk...
>I agree with John on that one. I don't fly the 747 these days, just the
> baby 737 and Concorde, however I think my approach would work for anything
> else and I did use it on the PSS747 many times. Basically I'm cautious.
> I
> normally program my approaches such that I'm down to around 2500' - 3000'
> as
> I turn onto the localiser at between 12 - 15 miles.
>
> I reckon if your at flaps 5 as you turn and around 210kts you are 30kts
> above stall even for a fully laden overweight emergency landing at
> 880,000Lb. Once turned and established on the localiser dial 160kts and
> flaps 10 then watch the glideslope come alive. As the glideslope comes
> alive flaps 20 and drop the gear.
>
> By the time the glideslope is captured you should have landing flaps set
> and
> a speed of maybe 150 dialled unless your really heavy (You only want about
> 20 tons of fuel left for a normal landing). Some may argue with the speed
> I
> suggest as many seem to come in at 170/180kts. I do not believe this is
> either realistic or helping to land in a controlled manner.
>
> If you follow all of the above you should be slowed and in landing
> configuration quite a few miles out, such that you can relax and enjoy the
> last phase of the flight.
>
> Once you have tried the suggested approach a few times you can then
> compress
> things a little as you will be comfortable with the way it flies. That
> said
> the relaxed and controlled landing that this will achieve is not a million
> miles from the real thing, just a slightly longer run in than some.
>
> You may want to consider buying the PSS 747 for 2002 if your still running
> that FS version.
>
> http://www.phoenix-simulation.co.uk/default.asp?pss=bro...
>
> It's only £10 and comes with comprehensive documentation, great panels and
> an FMC (Not the best I have to say). It won't run in FS9 though.
>
> One final point, the 737 is slippier than the 747 and that slows at around
> 10kts per NM travelled if you want a rough guideline. Having said that I'm
> talking about the real bird, I don't know how the MS version compares to
> this.
>
>
> HTH
>
> Geoff
>
>
>
>
>
>
> "John Ewing" <none@needed> wrote in message
> news:422b12a1$0$11529$afc38c87@news.optusnet.com.au...
>>
>> "Marc Wiselius" <RemoveThis.m.wiselius@chello.nl> wrote in message
>> news:BvBWd.296386$PH1.183412@amsnews05.chello.com...
>> > Hi, fellow flyers,
>> >
>> > I have problems with the 747 in FS2002, particulary with landing. Most
> of
>> > the time I'm used to flying with the 777. Microsoft supplies detailed
>> > instructions for the 777:
>> > at 20nm from the airport be at 10000 feet with 250IAS
>> > 15nm 210IAS flaps 1,
>> > etcetera.
>> > Can someone please give me similar instructions for the 747?
>> > The problems that I have has to do with slowing down the plane: it
>> > takes
>> > forever to slow the 747 down! When I come in for the final approach I
> end
>> > up too high and too fast.
>> > Any help would be appreciated.
>> >
>> > Regards,
>> >
>> > Marc
>>
>> Marc, 10,000ft in 20nm is a steep descent. Even with flight idle power
>> setting you will need use speed brakes to keep below 250kt on the ASI.
> And
>> remember you need to be flying level to intercept the localiser at around
>> 10nm from the airport.
>>
>> Start your descent earlier.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> John
>>
>>
>
>
Anonymous
March 8, 2005 11:30:55 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

On Mon, 7 Mar 2005 23:06:24 -0500, Arthur wrote:

> Marcel......go outside and take a nice walk in the fresh air. You'll feel
> better in no time : )

Fresh air? What's that?
This is Europe. We have no fresh air here. It's all be exported to Canada.
:-)

--

Marcel
(If you've gotta be part of a group, be part of a group of simmers!)
!