Bad frame rate on the ground

Hi there,
as I am new to this forum (but not to FS) I am not sure if this post is
in the right category.

I bought a new nVidia 6600GT and had to re-install Windows (XP
Professional) and FS2004.

The frame rate is fine as long as I am in the air but it drops down to
1-2 fps when I am on the ground - which is, of course, unavoidable for
starting and landing. ;)

Here is my computer configuration:
AMD Athlon XP 2800
ASRock K7S8X
512MB DDR
nVidia 6600GT 128MB

I would appreciate if anybody had some idea.

Thanks very much in advance,
Ron

More about frame rate ground

    On Sun, 06 Mar 2005 06:00:53 -0600, ronberlin
    <ronberlin@forums.simradar.com> brought the following to our
    attention:

    >Hi there,
    >as I am new to this forum (but not to FS) I am not sure if this post is
    >in the right category.
    >
    >I bought a new nVidia 6600GT and had to re-install Windows (XP
    >Professional) and FS2004.
    >
    >The frame rate is fine as long as I am in the air but it drops down to
    >1-2 fps when I am on the ground - which is, of course, unavoidable for
    >starting and landing. ;)
    >
    >Here is my computer configuration:
    >AMD Athlon XP 2800
    >ASRock K7S8X
    >512MB DDR
    >nVidia 6600GT 128MB
    >
    >I would appreciate if anybody had some idea.
    >
    >Thanks very much in advance,
    >Ron

    This might be a good one for ol' clunker-box Gregory.. :)

    One of the DISPLAY menu items is "Terrain Detail Textures".

    For the CPU challenged this must remain unchecked.. otherwise the
    framerate while taking off will be in the < 10 range and even < 5 as
    you describe. The only other slight issue is AI traffic. Busy AI can
    cause the takeoff roll to stutter.. that is pause and surge slightly.

    The TDT above related to the terrain bitmaps. It seems the runway and
    taxiway textures remain at a detailed level. Surrounding ground is
    defocused although looks ok with night `glows'.. etc.

    Have been doing flights out of DCA Rwy1 turning 325 up the river with
    taxiway signs enabled, a spot of AI, clouds, and descent autogen. FUN!

    -Gregory

    p.s. am working on some `screens' to post...

    "Gregory Abbey" <gabbey.maps@bkwds.dynanet.com> wrote in message
    > On Sun, 06 Mar 2005 06:00:53 -0600, ronberlin
    > <ronberlin@forums.simradar.com> brought the following to our
    > attention:
    >
    >>Hi there,
    >>as I am new to this forum (but not to FS) I am not sure if this post is
    >>in the right category.
    >>
    >>I bought a new nVidia 6600GT and had to re-install Windows (XP
    >>Professional) and FS2004.
    >>
    >>The frame rate is fine as long as I am in the air but it drops down to
    >>1-2 fps when I am on the ground - which is, of course, unavoidable for
    >>starting and landing. ;)
    >>
    >>Here is my computer configuration:
    >>AMD Athlon XP 2800
    >>ASRock K7S8X
    >>512MB DDR
    >>nVidia 6600GT 128MB
    >>
    >>I would appreciate if anybody had some idea.
    >>
    >>Thanks very much in advance,
    >>Ron
    >>

    > This might be a good one for ol' clunker-box Gregory.. :)
    >
    > One of the DISPLAY menu items is "Terrain Detail Textures".
    >
    > For the CPU challenged this must remain unchecked.. otherwise the
    > framerate while taking off will be in the < 10 range and even < 5 as
    > you describe. The only other slight issue is AI traffic. Busy AI can
    > cause the takeoff roll to stutter.. that is pause and surge slightly.
    >
    > The TDT above related to the terrain bitmaps. It seems the runway and
    > taxiway textures remain at a detailed level. Surrounding ground is
    > defocused although looks ok with night `glows'.. etc.
    >
    > Have been doing flights out of DCA Rwy1 turning 325 up the river with
    > taxiway signs enabled, a spot of AI, clouds, and descent autogen. FUN!
    >

    > -Gregory
    >

    > p.s. am working on some `screens' to post...

    One other suggestion, that you didn't mention is what are you using to
    control the bird? If you're using one of the older MS Forcefeedback sticks,
    disable force feedback and see your framerate soar.

    jj

    Thanks so much to both of you. Indeed, it was the force feedback. I
    switched it off and...was smoothly rolling along the runway. :)

    Now I can fine-tune my graphics settings and - enjoy my next flight.
    Thanks to your quick and precise answer. That's what I call expertise.

    Ron

    Where about is DCA? I only tried the Seattle flight of the clean FS for
    testing purposes...

    Have you installed the update? 9.1 is supposed to fix a memory leak bug with autogen which happens near the ground.

    --
    ....Carl Frisk
    Anger is a brief madness.

    "ronberlin" <ronberlin@forums.simradar.com> wrote in message news:1110110447.23784@forums.simradar.com...
    > Hi there,
    > as I am new to this forum (but not to FS) I am not sure if this post is
    > in the right category.
    >
    > I bought a new nVidia 6600GT and had to re-install Windows (XP
    > Professional) and FS2004.
    >
    > The frame rate is fine as long as I am in the air but it drops down to
    > 1-2 fps when I am on the ground - which is, of course, unavoidable for
    > starting and landing. ;)
    >
    > Here is my computer configuration:
    > AMD Athlon XP 2800
    > ASRock K7S8X
    > 512MB DDR
    > nVidia 6600GT 128MB
    >
    > I would appreciate if anybody had some idea.
    >
    > Thanks very much in advance,
    > Ron

    Taking off Force Feedback does nothing for my frame rate - it seems better
    with it on - strange!

    Steve

    > Thanks so much to both of you. Indeed, it was the force feedback. I
    > switched it off and...was smoothly rolling along the runway. :)
    >
    > Now I can fine-tune my graphics settings and - enjoy my next flight.
    > Thanks to your quick and precise answer. That's what I call expertise.
    >

    > Ron
    >
    > Where about is DCA? I only tried the Seattle flight of the clean FS for
    > testing purposes...

Video Games