Cannot ping peers on a LAN

Hi

i have 2 computers connected to each other and to the Internet via a Zyxel
Prestige 334 router. Both computers run Windows XP pro with SP2 and have
their respective XP firewall disabled. However, i am running FSECURE's
firewall on both machines. The firewalls are configured to allow ping
requests. Both computers can access the internet and ping the router but they
cannot ping each other.

Can anyone help me solve this problem.

Thanks in advance
6 answers Last reply
More about cannot ping peers

    Are you trying to ping by name or IP address?

    Not familiar with FSECURE, but enabling ping simply allows the machine to
    respond to packets sent to its IP address. If NetBIOS is being blocked, you
    probably have no way to resolve local names.

    Doug Sherman
    MCSE, MCSA, MCP+I, MVP

    "vik" <vik@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hi
    >
    > i have 2 computers connected to each other and to the Internet via a Zyxel
    > Prestige 334 router. Both computers run Windows XP pro with SP2 and have
    > their respective XP firewall disabled. However, i am running FSECURE's
    > firewall on both machines. The firewalls are configured to allow ping
    > requests. Both computers can access the internet and ping the router but
    they
    > cannot ping each other.
    >
    > Can anyone help me solve this problem.
    >
    > Thanks in advance

    You may need to also open port 137 UDP for NetBios Naming service, if you
    are trying to ping MyComputer1 rather than ping 192.168.0.106

    --
    David {MVP}
    Microsoft Mobile Devices

    benefit of all of us...
    The MARA Program - http://www.mobileav.org/index.html

    rights...

    Spelling and grammar errors left in for those that need a little joy in
    their life by correcting me.

    "Doug Sherman [MVP]" <dsherman@nospamtampabay.rr.com> wrote in message
    > Are you trying to ping by name or IP address?
    >
    > Not familiar with FSECURE, but enabling ping simply allows the machine to
    > respond to packets sent to its IP address. If NetBIOS is being blocked,
    > you
    > probably have no way to resolve local names.
    >
    > Doug Sherman
    > MCSE, MCSA, MCP+I, MVP
    >
    > "vik" <vik@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> Hi
    >>
    >> i have 2 computers connected to each other and to the Internet via a
    >> Zyxel
    >> Prestige 334 router. Both computers run Windows XP pro with SP2 and have
    >> their respective XP firewall disabled. However, i am running FSECURE's
    >> firewall on both machines. The firewalls are configured to allow ping
    >> requests. Both computers can access the internet and ping the router but
    > they
    >> cannot ping each other.
    >>
    >> Can anyone help me solve this problem.
    >>
    >> Thanks in advance

    Hi

    First thanks for replying. i tried to ping by IP address as well as computer
    name and neither work.

    Would you have any other ideas ?

    Thanks
    vik

    Hi

    As i mentioned above, i tried to ping by IP address and therefore it is not
    necessary to have the naming service running. Please correct me if i am wrong.

    Would you have any other ideas about how i could troubleshoot this problem ?

    Thanks in advance.

    On Mon, 22 Aug 2005 02:44:10 -0700, vik wrote:

    > Hi
    >
    > i have 2 computers connected to each other and to the Internet via a Zyxel
    > Prestige 334 router. Both computers run Windows XP pro with SP2 and have
    > their respective XP firewall disabled. However, i am running FSECURE's
    > firewall on both machines. The firewalls are configured to allow ping
    > requests. Both computers can access the internet and ping the router but they
    > cannot ping each other.
    >
    > Can anyone help me solve this problem.
    >
    > Thanks in advance

    Does FSecure have a setting to trust a LAN? Some firewalls that I have used
    require an explicit setting to let the firewall trust the network address
    of the LAN. For Kerio Personal Firewall I have to make two settings; one to
    allow MSFT networking to function, and then another to trust the network
    address; i.e., 192.168.0.0 with a network submask of 255.255.255.0.

    --
    Norman
    ~Fin dein a loluca, En dragu a sei lain

    Hi

    Thanks for your reply.

    i upgraded the firewall with the latest available from the manufacturer and
    it works now. That is, i can ping the machines. i don't understand why the
    rule you suggested above and which i had in the previous version of the
    firewall was not working.

    Thanks very much.

    Kind regards
    vik