Sign in with
Your question

Motherboard HOTTER than CPU!

Last response: in Motherboards
December 1, 2005 11:26:47 PM

I just got done building a new gaming PC, it's been about a week and everything seems to be okay. One problem, I just started monitoring my mobo and cpu temps and I am a little worried because I can't pinpoint the problem. My CPU idles at 35C but my motherboard idles at 53C!!! My setup:

Athlon 64 3700
ASUS A8N-SLI Deluxe
XFX 7800GTX 256
NeoPower 480 PSU
Creative X-Fi soundcard
3 gigs RAM
Plextor DVD R/W
WD Raptor 74gig
WD 160gig

Does anyone know why my motherboard is so freakin hot? Nothing is overclocked...

More about : motherboard hotter cpu

a b à CPUs
December 1, 2005 11:48:43 PM

Sounds like the sensor readings are reversed. Even if that 53C is for the CPU, it is way high...are you sure you properly applied thermal paste and the HSF is properly mounted?
December 1, 2005 11:50:58 PM

Well I am referencing ASUS Probe, Sandra and my BIOS and they all read the same.
Related resources
a b à CPUs
December 2, 2005 12:04:18 AM

It doesn't make sense that the mob would read higher than the CPU.
If they're all reading the same, then there could be a couple of reasons:
1. They all get their inputs from the same sensor - likely. And - for whatever reason - the sensor readouts are switched between the two.
2. They're right and your mobo is that mush hotter than the CPU - not likely.

Does your manual state where the temp sensors are located? If yes then simply get a digital thermometer and take the readings directly from the sensors.
December 2, 2005 12:51:21 AM

What the heck? I replied to this post hours ago! Didn't show up I guess...

Anyways. I've got the exact same mobo and it runs almost as hot as yours. No need for concern. ASUS went with a heatpipe design on this mobo- which is never ideal. However, they had to do it so a video card could fit in the first 16x PCI-E slot. HSF solution is too tall. Also, if you look how they placed the heatsink- it's at an angle. About 20% of the die is not covered. I'm not sure why they did that, but whatever.

I'm looking at my temp and it's 48C. But I have excellent airflow in my case.

So don't worry about it. This board just runs hot.

-mpjesse
December 2, 2005 1:27:12 AM

He posted in both the general mobo section and the asus subsection.

To frenzy: No need to cross post, 99 times out of 100 someone will see the first one.

It is wierd that the mobo is cooler than the CPU, but the nForce chipset is a hot one - kindof like a certain CPU... ummm... nevermind. bad analogy. :oops:  :oops: 

:twisted:

Mike.
December 2, 2005 3:43:44 AM

Well I'm going to see about trying to manually measure the temps since I can't figure out where the sensors are. Anyone have any recomendations as to what kind of thermometer to use? heh Sorry I'm not that experienced.
a b V Motherboard
a b à CPUs
December 2, 2005 3:21:27 PM

No, they didn't "have to do it", most companies just use a low-profile cooler. Really. I've seen some nice wide ones too. They're like the old video card coolers.

They did it to get rid of the fan, that's all.
!