new hard drive problem

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
Share
September 9, 2004 8:28:31 PM

Just installed a 4th scsi hard drive same size as other 4
just different mfg seagate rather than quantum. bios sees
it, windows sees it disk admin will let me partition it,
yet it will not format it. error at end of
format "windows nt was unable to complete format: ??????

More about : hard drive problem

September 13, 2004 8:05:06 PM

In the past when we got Seagate drives they would come
with a floppy that had formatting utilities on it. Did
you get anything like this? Perhaps you could goto
Seagate site to see if there are formatting utilities
there. The drive may want to be partitioned and formatted
by its own utilities instead of using windows.

Mike

Anonymous
September 14, 2004 10:32:50 AM

I used seatools to format the drives and when I rebooted
into nt4 they were treated as if they were not there I
could not see them in disk manager or explorer.

September 15, 2004 12:04:57 PM

Hi,

I would be prepared to offer an even-money bet that your 'SeaTools' format
software has structured the partitions as FAT32, or some other structure which
is incompatible with NT4. The ONLY file formats recognised by NT4 are FAT16 and
NTFS. All other structures will produce the symptoms you have described.

Calvin.
!