Epson stylus 400 problem ("can't find journal dll")

Hi, I have a problem with my Epson stylus 400. I have re-installed it on my
pc but now when I try to print I recieve a strange message like "can't load
journal dll. please reinstall driver" and after " spooling on "" failed ".

What can I do????

On the web I found tipically 2 solution...

1. it's a virus problem... "a virus deleted some sytem files and now
printer dosen't work" clean pc and reinstall driver!
2. It's a problem of windows.. " gendrv.dll file it's not loaded at startup
so printer doesn't print. But gendrv.ddl it's a windows file not Epson
driver's one.... use Sfc.exe or reinstall windows" :-////////

so.. about my case... It's not a virus ( pc cleaned and protected with
symantec antivir) and it's not a problem of gendrv.dll because it's in the
right place in windos dir...

the only thing I can say it's that I have also an Epson scanner installed
and, and that, before the Stylus 400, I've installed ( and disintalled..)
another epson ( Stylus 1270) which is now connected to another pc; also, I
use win98 SE on a Pentium II.

Do someone have an Idea?????

Thanks
4 answers Last reply
More about epson stylus problem find journal

    "Quicksand" <ale80_pv@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Hi, I have a problem with my Epson stylus 400. I have re-installed it on
    my
    > pc but now when I try to print I recieve a strange message like "can't
    load
    > journal dll. please reinstall driver" and after " spooling on "" failed ".
    >
    > What can I do????
    Find journal.dll from somewhere. It should be on the Epson CD somewhere.
    Jim

    I have run into problems with Epson drivers conflicting, so before doing
    anything else, I would remove all unused Epson drivers plus the the 400
    driver, and then download the most current version from the Epson
    website and install it, and see where that gets you.

    Do not install any Epson driver provided "in box" from the OS itself.

    I just did a few things. One, just did a search for gendrv.dll (or any
    other gendrv. file) on my Windows 98SE system and I couldn't find it
    anywhere so, maybe it was used in Win 98 but not SE?

    Secondly, I located a website where you can download it, supposedly for
    free at:

    http://www.dlldump.com/filelistings/g.shtml

    I don't know what folder it might go into however, should it even belong
    in Win 98 SE.

    Art

    Quicksand wrote:

    > Hi, I have a problem with my Epson stylus 400. I have re-installed it on my
    > pc but now when I try to print I recieve a strange message like "can't load
    > journal dll. please reinstall driver" and after " spooling on "" failed ".
    >
    > What can I do????
    >
    > On the web I found tipically 2 solution...
    >
    > 1. it's a virus problem... "a virus deleted some sytem files and now
    > printer dosen't work" clean pc and reinstall driver!
    > 2. It's a problem of windows.. " gendrv.dll file it's not loaded at startup
    > so printer doesn't print. But gendrv.ddl it's a windows file not Epson
    > driver's one.... use Sfc.exe or reinstall windows" :-////////
    >
    > so.. about my case... It's not a virus ( pc cleaned and protected with
    > symantec antivir) and it's not a problem of gendrv.dll because it's in the
    > right place in windos dir...
    >
    > the only thing I can say it's that I have also an Epson scanner installed
    > and, and that, before the Stylus 400, I've installed ( and disintalled..)
    > another epson ( Stylus 1270) which is now connected to another pc; also, I
    > use win98 SE on a Pentium II.
    >
    > Do someone have an Idea?????
    >
    > Thanks

    I've done a little more investigation on this.

    How did you remove the other printer drivers? If possible, make sure
    you remove the Epson printer drivers using Epson's own removal tool on
    your computer. I believe this should be in your Programs list under
    Epson "400 installer" or something like that. You may need the CD-ROM to
    get to it.

    Make sure your virus protection is off when you remove the drivers and
    when you reinstall them.

    Then when you go to reinstall the printer driver (use the most current
    from the Epson website) go into CTRL-ALT-DELETE and exit from every
    program showing there but Explorer and systray before running the Epson
    Driver installer again. You will have to return to CTRL-ALT-DELETE for
    each file you want to exit (do it once per file removal or you will
    reboot your machine). If the system locks up when trying this, reboot
    the machine and go to the "run" option from the "Start" button and type
    in MSCONFIG, then go to the start-up tab and uncheck all the programs in
    that list, and then reboot again.

    Then load the Epson installer program for your printer. Sometimes with
    Win 98 machines, Epson drivers will corrupt if another program is
    running underneath and it will not allow for the old files to be removed
    or the new ones to be installed properly.

    If you are on broadband, you may wish to unplug yourself during this
    process to make sure you are not at any risk of getting a virus, since
    nay firewall or virus protection will be incapacitated while doing this
    process.

    Art

    Quicksand wrote:

    > Hi, I have a problem with my Epson stylus 400. I have re-installed it on my
    > pc but now when I try to print I recieve a strange message like "can't load
    > journal dll. please reinstall driver" and after " spooling on "" failed ".
    >
    > What can I do????
    >
    > On the web I found tipically 2 solution...
    >
    > 1. it's a virus problem... "a virus deleted some sytem files and now
    > printer dosen't work" clean pc and reinstall driver!
    > 2. It's a problem of windows.. " gendrv.dll file it's not loaded at startup
    > so printer doesn't print. But gendrv.ddl it's a windows file not Epson
    > driver's one.... use Sfc.exe or reinstall windows" :-////////
    >
    > so.. about my case... It's not a virus ( pc cleaned and protected with
    > symantec antivir) and it's not a problem of gendrv.dll because it's in the
    > right place in windos dir...
    >
    > the only thing I can say it's that I have also an Epson scanner installed
    > and, and that, before the Stylus 400, I've installed ( and disintalled..)
    > another epson ( Stylus 1270) which is now connected to another pc; also, I
    > use win98 SE on a Pentium II.
    >
    > Do someone have an Idea?????
    >
    > Thanks

    OK! I will try!