Network Icon Error

I have a 4 computer home network (WIN XP Pro, SP2 fully updated) using a
Linksys Wireless G with Speedboost router WRT54GS with PCI Wireless
G/Speedboost cards WMP54GS in the desktop computers. The network is
controlled by Windows rather than the Linksys utility.

Everything is fine except that in just one of the desktops, the wireless
network icon on the taskbar has begun to show the red X that means that the
network is not connected--- but in fact it is. I'm connected to the
internet-- and can see the other computers. It worked fine for several
months-- but then started giving a false reading. I didn't add.subtract any
software in the computer-- and am fully virus, spyware, firewall protected.

I called Linksys tech support and they said (surprise, surprise) that it's a
Microsoft issue since the icon does not derive from Linksys. They suggested
using the Linksys utility to control the network rather than Windows but for
a number of reasons, I need to use keep using Windows.

I tried updating/reinstalling the card driver-- but no change.

Any ideas?

Savvy

Clark

Distinguished
May 19, 2004

Have you tried repairing the connection?

Have you tried to disable the connection and then reconnect?

I suppose you continue to show a strong signal? Have you moved the
computer around to see if it helps? Is the card firmly in the slot?

Is there anything that might be interferring with the signal? You might
try setting a static address to the machine to see if it helps.

Clark