iPAQ H6315 - Very Disappointed.

August 27, 2004 10:43:46 AM

This is my 4th iPAQ and by far the most problematic. I was really
excited about the prospect of combining my phone and PDA together and
got the first h6315 for sale at the Madison Avenue T-Mobile yesterday
morning. I had no idea what I was in for.

Defects is order of magnitude:

* Constant Lockups - Seems every time you change a parameter, the unit
locks-up and requires a soft reset. Lockups occurred randomly, all the
time.

* 3rd Party applications won't install and/or run -- Resco Audio
Recorder would install but not run. One of the complementary apps on
the CD (forgot the name) actually obliterated the thing altogether. It
installed half way and then locked-up completely. It wouldn't recover
with a soft reset, so I was forced to do a hard reset. This happened
to me twice last night.

* Slow performance -- This is not entirely unexpected, as I was aware
of the units 167 MHz processor. I had no idea however, how maidenly
slow this unit would actually run. Very frustrating; and forget about
anything like GPS.

* Doesn't clearly distinguish between WiFi and GPRS connections --
Supposedly the highly touted Connection Manager handles this
seamlessly, but it doesn't. It kept on wanting to go out to the
Internet via GPRS while I had it set to 802.11 on my home network. AIM
would not connect at all. It just returned a message saying
"Connection Error".

* Don't Identify 802.11 wireless access points accurately, or
consistently. Sometimes it would find my home network, sometimes it
wouldn't. (BTW, not having any of these network problems with ANY of
my other devices; an iPAQ 4350, a desktop and a laptop)

* Slow 802.11 throughput.

* Buggy firmware -- Every once and a while a message would pop up
saying 'No SIM card installed" and it would lock-up momentarily. This
message is entirely erroneous and the phone worked just fine
afterward. I made sure the SIM was seated firmly, but it made no
difference.

* If you dial directly from Outlook Contacts, after the call ends, a
message box containing the T-Mobile logo pops-up saying "Message
Static". Once again, the unit locks up and required a soft reset.

Needless to say, this thing going back to T-Mobile first thing Monday
morning.

A_C
August 27, 2004 12:29:59 PM

Sorry to hear this as I'm not experiencing half the issue
you are with my unit (brought via Compusa in Phoenix on
Monday so now had it for most of a week). Sound like you
coul have one of those early 'bad' units that have been
seen with all new devices

I did have a number of lockup originally and I track this
to too many/incompatible today plugins (long run issue
I've seen on all PPC I've had). Limiting plugins has
solved these.

For most things I run the speed does not seem to be an
issue - I have used it both with TomTom Navigator and
Delorme Handheld GPS software (with BT GPS units, two
different ones)and it works as fast as it does on Tosh
e805 and HP2215 once loaded (loading is slower due to
processor speed).

As to the GPRS and WiFi issue you have this is the way the
SW is programmed as far as I can tell - it will always use
the fastest connection so it you have WiFi active it will
not allow a GPRS connection. I've seen no issue, yet, with
network detection - indeed it see more network than my
Apple laptop does.

No random errors on my unit although I noticed the SIM
card holder is 'poorly' designed - its easy not to get the
card properly in to it - early on it caused my some SIM
not seen issues.

So far all 3rd party application I use (all M2003
versions) are loading and working well - I have not load
any that are not M2003 complient.

August 27, 2004 9:38:08 PM

Part of me wants to purchase a combo unit and the voice of reason says keep
the 4350 and get a BT phone.

--
____________________
Ann
"Agent_C" <Agent-C-hates-spam@nyc.rr.com> wrote in message
> This is my 4th iPAQ and by far the most problematic. I was really
> excited about the prospect of combining my phone and PDA together and
> got the first h6315 for sale at the Madison Avenue T-Mobile yesterday
> morning. I had no idea what I was in for.
>
> Defects is order of magnitude:
>
> * Constant Lockups - Seems every time you change a parameter, the unit
> locks-up and requires a soft reset. Lockups occurred randomly, all the
> time.
>
> * 3rd Party applications won't install and/or run -- Resco Audio
> Recorder would install but not run. One of the complementary apps on
> the CD (forgot the name) actually obliterated the thing altogether. It
> installed half way and then locked-up completely. It wouldn't recover
> with a soft reset, so I was forced to do a hard reset. This happened
> to me twice last night.
>
> * Slow performance -- This is not entirely unexpected, as I was aware
> of the units 167 MHz processor. I had no idea however, how maidenly
> slow this unit would actually run. Very frustrating; and forget about
> anything like GPS.
>
> * Doesn't clearly distinguish between WiFi and GPRS connections --
> Supposedly the highly touted Connection Manager handles this
> seamlessly, but it doesn't. It kept on wanting to go out to the
> Internet via GPRS while I had it set to 802.11 on my home network. AIM
> would not connect at all. It just returned a message saying
> "Connection Error".
>
> * Don't Identify 802.11 wireless access points accurately, or
> consistently. Sometimes it would find my home network, sometimes it
> wouldn't. (BTW, not having any of these network problems with ANY of
> my other devices; an iPAQ 4350, a desktop and a laptop)
>
> * Slow 802.11 throughput.
>
> * Buggy firmware -- Every once and a while a message would pop up
> saying 'No SIM card installed" and it would lock-up momentarily. This
> message is entirely erroneous and the phone worked just fine
> afterward. I made sure the SIM was seated firmly, but it made no
> difference.
>
> * If you dial directly from Outlook Contacts, after the call ends, a
> message box containing the T-Mobile logo pops-up saying "Message
> Static". Once again, the unit locks up and required a soft reset.
>
> Needless to say, this thing going back to T-Mobile first thing Monday
> morning.
>
> A_C
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
August 27, 2004 10:52:36 PM

That's the combo I use, it's worked great so far. The only problem I have
and this only goes for cdma systems is that an incoming call gets routed
straight to voicemail. When I had T-mobile service I lived the fact that
incoming calls would ring the phone when you had a data call up.

rights...

"Ann" <nospam@netzero.com> wrote in message
> Part of me wants to purchase a combo unit and the voice of reason says
> keep the 4350 and get a BT phone.
>
> --
> ____________________
> Ann
> "Agent_C" <Agent-C-hates-spam@nyc.rr.com> wrote in message
>> This is my 4th iPAQ and by far the most problematic. I was really
>> excited about the prospect of combining my phone and PDA together and
>> got the first h6315 for sale at the Madison Avenue T-Mobile yesterday
>> morning. I had no idea what I was in for.
>>
>> Defects is order of magnitude:
>>
>> * Constant Lockups - Seems every time you change a parameter, the unit
>> locks-up and requires a soft reset. Lockups occurred randomly, all the
>> time.
>>
>> * 3rd Party applications won't install and/or run -- Resco Audio
>> Recorder would install but not run. One of the complementary apps on
>> the CD (forgot the name) actually obliterated the thing altogether. It
>> installed half way and then locked-up completely. It wouldn't recover
>> with a soft reset, so I was forced to do a hard reset. This happened
>> to me twice last night.
>>
>> * Slow performance -- This is not entirely unexpected, as I was aware
>> of the units 167 MHz processor. I had no idea however, how maidenly
>> slow this unit would actually run. Very frustrating; and forget about
>> anything like GPS.
>>
>> * Doesn't clearly distinguish between WiFi and GPRS connections --
>> Supposedly the highly touted Connection Manager handles this
>> seamlessly, but it doesn't. It kept on wanting to go out to the
>> Internet via GPRS while I had it set to 802.11 on my home network. AIM
>> would not connect at all. It just returned a message saying
>> "Connection Error".
>>
>> * Don't Identify 802.11 wireless access points accurately, or
>> consistently. Sometimes it would find my home network, sometimes it
>> wouldn't. (BTW, not having any of these network problems with ANY of
>> my other devices; an iPAQ 4350, a desktop and a laptop)
>>
>> * Slow 802.11 throughput.
>>
>> * Buggy firmware -- Every once and a while a message would pop up
>> saying 'No SIM card installed" and it would lock-up momentarily. This
>> message is entirely erroneous and the phone worked just fine
>> afterward. I made sure the SIM was seated firmly, but it made no
>> difference.
>>
>> * If you dial directly from Outlook Contacts, after the call ends, a
>> message box containing the T-Mobile logo pops-up saying "Message
>> Static". Once again, the unit locks up and required a soft reset.
>>
>> Needless to say, this thing going back to T-Mobile first thing Monday
>> morning.
>>
>> A_C

August 28, 2004 10:20:40 AM

On Fri, 27 Aug 2004 15:26:11 GMT, "Mitch_A" <naman-nospam@pacbell.net>
wrote:

>Performs better than my H5555

This claim doesn't make any sense at all, as both the processor and
memory on the 5555 are miles ahead of the 6315. I've owned the 5555
and performance wise, there's just no comparison.

A_C
August 28, 2004 10:30:45 AM

On Fri, 27 Aug 2004 08:29:59 -0700, "Tony"

>I did have a number of lockup originally and I track this
>to too many/incompatible today plugins (long run issue
>I've seen on all PPC I've had). Limiting plugins has
>solved these.

What's a 'today plugin'?

>As to the GPRS and WiFi issue you have this is the way the
>SW is programmed as far as I can tell - it will always use
>the fastest connection so it you have WiFi active it will
>not allow a GPRS connection.

Which makes my situation all the more odd, as I don't subscribe to any
GPRS services. I just signed up for the $19.95 phone plan and use
802.11 for all my Internet connectivity.

From the way this unit comes pre-configured, it's clear that T-Mobile
intends it to be used primarily through GPRS. I wonder if that was
reflected in the design and testing, which makes my users profile the
exception.

A_C
August 28, 2004 12:17:00 PM

My experience with the h6315 has been pretty successful for the past 3
days. I moved from a 5455 and find the performance of the 6315 to be
at least equal and most likely a bit better, despite the "on-paper"
specs. It seems expecially quick at reading large files from the
memory, storage card, etc. I use Dashboard, Pocket Informant, Acrobat
reader, Pocket Streets, PQViewer plus some other small 3rd party apps
and these seem just as stable on the 6315 as on my previous iPAQ's.
The size of the 6315 was a little annoying at first (kind of wide for
a phone) but I use a headset most of the time and have actually gotten
used to holding it to my head the rest of the time. I thought the Treo
600 might have been a better size phone-wise but now I think the
bigger screen of the iPAQ is the way to go. Connectivity is great, I
use both Wifi and BT between my laptop and work LAN, For me the BT is
only a backup since once the Wifi is setup it is much quicker for
Activesync, etc plus Internet. I might finally break down and get a BT
GPS receiver. The Wifi is very sensitive, if you leave it one while
driving it will pickup access points constantly.

I'm sure there will be some flash-rom updates coming along to tune up
the features even more, make it more stable, etc.
Anonymous
August 28, 2004 3:39:30 PM

mikekimmerly@hotmail.com (MikeK) wrote in news:ae761445.0408280717.670c6d1
@posting.google.com:

> I'm sure there will be some flash-rom updates coming along to tune up
> the features even more, make it more stable, etc.

Seeing how HP is currently sticking their heads in the sand for all
iPAQ units, I wouldn't count on it anytime soon.

$0.02

~S.

--
======================
ACE!!! a.k.a. ~S.

> On Fri, 27 Aug 2004 15:26:11 GMT, "Mitch_A" <naman-nospam@pacbell.net>
> wrote:
>
> >Performs better than my H5555
>
> This claim doesn't make any sense at all, as both the processor and
> memory on the 5555 are miles ahead of the 6315. I've owned the 5555
> and performance wise, there's just no comparison.
>
> A_C

'On paper' specifications are not the same as 'in use' specifications. If he
considers one better than the other -performance wise- then it *is* better
for him, whatever the specifications may imply to you.
Anonymous
August 28, 2004 5:22:19 PM

AlanS wrote:
> "Agent_C" <agent-c-hates-spam@nyc.rr.com> wrote in message
>
>>On Fri, 27 Aug 2004 15:26:11 GMT, "Mitch_A" <naman-nospam@pacbell.net>
>>wrote:
>>

>>>Performs better than my H5555
>>
>>This claim doesn't make any sense at all, as both the processor and
>>memory on the 5555 are miles ahead of the 6315. I've owned the 5555
>>and performance wise, there's just no comparison.
>>
>>A_C
>>

> 'On paper' specifications are not the same as 'in use' specifications. If he
> considers one better than the other -performance wise- then it *is* better
> for him, whatever the specifications may imply to you.

WOW! My Yugo is better than a Jag! WooHoo!
Anonymous
August 28, 2004 8:54:34 PM

"Mark Peterson" <m.peterson@spamnot.com> wrote in message
> AlanS wrote:
> > "Agent_C" <agent-c-hates-spam@nyc.rr.com> wrote in message

> >>This claim doesn't make any sense at all, as both the processor and
> >>memory on the 5555 are miles ahead of the 6315. I've owned the 5555
> >>and performance wise, there's just no comparison.
> >>
> >>A_C
> >>

> > 'On paper' specifications are not the same as 'in use' specifications.
If he
> > considers one better than the other -performance wise- then it *is*
better
> > for him, whatever the specifications may imply to you.
>
> WOW! My Yugo is better than a Jag! WooHoo!

If you as the owner and user of your Yugo believe that then great. Enjoy
your choice.
Anonymous
August 29, 2004 12:54:03 AM

> Seeing how HP is currently sticking their heads in the sand for all
> iPAQ units, I wouldn't count on it anytime soon.

I agree - It is funny many of the "reviews" are very positive but yet the
majority of feedback from users who have forked out is not so nice. It
reminds me of the 5XXX series I remember ordering mine and actually picking
it up from the airport about 2 christmass ago. I sold it 3 months later.
Give me the 4xxx series any day.

DAvid
Anonymous
August 29, 2004 9:04:47 AM

I also owned a H5555 and a h5450. Im not arguing about differences in
specs. Im arguing that real world performance is about the same regardless
of the meaningless specs (do you really think the 400MHz Xscale was that
great of a processor?). All around I like the H6315's 7+ hours of battery
life and integrated cell phone with similar performance of the H5555. I
dont like only having 77mb available memory though. Maybe if you owned them
both to compare as I have you would feel the same. Youre looking at some
meaningless specs and if that makes you feel good so be it. Enjoy your
H5555.

Mitch

"Agent_C" <agent-c-hates-spam@nyc.rr.com> wrote in message
> On Fri, 27 Aug 2004 15:26:11 GMT, "Mitch_A" <naman-nospam@pacbell.net>
> wrote:
>
>>Performs better than my H5555
>
> This claim doesn't make any sense at all, as both the processor and
> memory on the 5555 are miles ahead of the 6315. I've owned the 5555
> and performance wise, there's just no comparison.
>
> A_C

Anonymous
August 29, 2004 3:19:18 PM

all true,

but I think it is wise to waite 6 months after release before you buy. As I
said earlier I bought a 5xxx on release on the uk - infact somehow I managed
to get it a month pre release. Anyway I sold in Apr after far too many hard
resets etc - they release a rom upgrade in June that fixed everything.

David

>I also owned a H5555 and a h5450. Im not arguing about differences in
>specs. Im arguing that real world performance is about the same regardless
>of the meaningless specs (do you really think the 400MHz Xscale was that
>great of a processor?). All around I like the H6315's 7+ hours of battery
>life and integrated cell phone with similar performance of the H5555. I
>dont like only having 77mb available memory though. Maybe if you owned
>them both to compare as I have you would feel the same. Youre looking at
>some meaningless specs and if that makes you feel good so be it. Enjoy
>your H5555.
>
> Mitch
>

> "Agent_C" <agent-c-hates-spam@nyc.rr.com> wrote in message
>> On Fri, 27 Aug 2004 15:26:11 GMT, "Mitch_A" <naman-nospam@pacbell.net>
>> wrote:
>>
>>>Performs better than my H5555
>>
>> This claim doesn't make any sense at all, as both the processor and
>> memory on the 5555 are miles ahead of the 6315. I've owned the 5555
>> and performance wise, there's just no comparison.
>>
>> A_C

Anonymous
September 9, 2004 1:02:33 AM

I am actually not that disappointed in the 6315.

It is stable (provided that one does not use SPB Pocket Plus's close
button or some comparable task switchers which make it freeze upon
exiting the inbox or Intenret Explorer)

True, it is a tad slower than the 4xxx series, or even my old XDA II,
but I use it professionally, and not for games or video. My
attachments over GPRS get sent out fine (but then again, I use it on
Vodafone Netherlands, not on T-Mobile), wifi works fine, and all my
apps run fine (time&billing, project management, pocket informant,
ewallet, London and Paris Tube, Terminal Services and Ctirx clients)

So I guess there IS a market for this device ..... :-)

!