Wireless Laptop and Router Only

Last response: in Wireless Networking
a b D Laptop
a b F Wireless
August 22, 2005 5:17:22 PM

I see a nice laptop I would like to get and it comes with wireless.

I would like to know if I use only that laptop as my only computer and buy a
router, would I be able to use the laptop for Internet access?

I already have a desktop and access the Internet via my ISP's cable modem. I
want to get rid of the old desktop. In other words, will having just one
wireless computer and a wireless router work to enable the laptop to access
the Internet.

Thanks,
Ed.

More about : wireless laptop router

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
a b F Wireless
August 22, 2005 5:17:23 PM

Ed,

Don't see why not - router is just extra protection and that's always a good
thing :) . I have a netgear wired router and it works well. I"ve heard good
things about its wireless as well and dlink and linksys. If you decide you
want to keep your pc , for sure dlink and linksys have routers that also
allow for you to plug in your wired pc so you can have wired and wireless
devices together. Hope it all works out :)

--
Mara Jade

"Ed." wrote:

> I see a nice laptop I would like to get and it comes with wireless.
>
> I would like to know if I use only that laptop as my only computer and buy a
> router, would I be able to use the laptop for Internet access?
>
> I already have a desktop and access the Internet via my ISP's cable modem. I
> want to get rid of the old desktop. In other words, will having just one
> wireless computer and a wireless router work to enable the laptop to access
> the Internet.
>
> Thanks,
> Ed.

August 22, 2005 7:05:52 PM

Hi

I would suggest keeping the old wired computer available.

See here why: http://www.ezlan.net/faq#onewire

This might help in the wireless Foray.

Wireless Hardware - http://www.ezlan.net/Wireless_Hardware.html

Jack (MVP-Networking).

"Ed." <esmithoh(at)zoominternet.net> wrote in message
> I see a nice laptop I would like to get and it comes with wireless.
>
> I would like to know if I use only that laptop as my only computer and buy
> router, would I be able to use the laptop for Internet access?
>
> I already have a desktop and access the Internet via my ISP's cable modem.
> want to get rid of the old desktop. In other words, will having just one
> wireless computer and a wireless router work to enable the laptop to
access
> the Internet.
>
> Thanks,
> Ed.

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
a b F Wireless
August 23, 2005 2:21:55 AM

Thanks for the replies and I surely appreciate them. Looks like I will go
ahead and get the Laptop and a wireless router after reading the replies.
Now we know. Thanks again and thanks for the time that you spend helping
those of us who come to the newsgroups for help in such matters. It is great
work you do and well appreciated.

Thanks,
Ed.

news:o sK9mv0pFHA.3536@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...