Wireless Laptop and Router Only

I see a nice laptop I would like to get and it comes with wireless.

I would like to know if I use only that laptop as my only computer and buy a
router, would I be able to use the laptop for Internet access?

I already have a desktop and access the Internet via my ISP's cable modem. I
want to get rid of the old desktop. In other words, will having just one
wireless computer and a wireless router work to enable the laptop to access
the Internet.

Thanks,
Ed.
3 answers Last reply
More about wireless laptop router only

    Ed,

    Don't see why not - router is just extra protection and that's always a good
    thing :). I have a netgear wired router and it works well. I"ve heard good
    things about its wireless as well and dlink and linksys. If you decide you
    want to keep your pc , for sure dlink and linksys have routers that also
    allow for you to plug in your wired pc so you can have wired and wireless
    devices together. Hope it all works out :)

    --
    Mara Jade

    "Ed." wrote:

    > I see a nice laptop I would like to get and it comes with wireless.
    >
    > I would like to know if I use only that laptop as my only computer and buy a
    > router, would I be able to use the laptop for Internet access?
    >
    > I already have a desktop and access the Internet via my ISP's cable modem. I
    > want to get rid of the old desktop. In other words, will having just one
    > wireless computer and a wireless router work to enable the laptop to access
    > the Internet.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Ed.

    Hi

    I would suggest keeping the old wired computer available.

    See here why: http://www.ezlan.net/faq#onewire

    This might help in the wireless Foray.

    Wireless Hardware - http://www.ezlan.net/Wireless_Hardware.html

    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    "Ed." <esmithoh(at)zoominternet.net> wrote in message
    > I see a nice laptop I would like to get and it comes with wireless.
    >
    > I would like to know if I use only that laptop as my only computer and buy
    > router, would I be able to use the laptop for Internet access?
    >
    > I already have a desktop and access the Internet via my ISP's cable modem.
    > want to get rid of the old desktop. In other words, will having just one
    > wireless computer and a wireless router work to enable the laptop to
    access
    > the Internet.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Ed.

    Thanks for the replies and I surely appreciate them. Looks like I will go
    ahead and get the Laptop and a wireless router after reading the replies.
    Now we know. Thanks again and thanks for the time that you spend helping
    those of us who come to the newsgroups for help in such matters. It is great
    work you do and well appreciated.

    Thanks,
    Ed.

    "Jack" <jack@msnews.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hi
    >
    > I would suggest keeping the old wired computer available.
    >
    > See here why: http://www.ezlan.net/faq#onewire
    >
    > This might help in the wireless Foray.
    >
    > Wireless Hardware - http://www.ezlan.net/Wireless_Hardware.html

    > Jack (MVP-Networking).
    >

    > "Ed." <esmithoh(at)zoominternet.net> wrote in message
    >> I see a nice laptop I would like to get and it comes with wireless.
    >>
    >> I would like to know if I use only that laptop as my only computer and
    >> buy
    >> router, would I be able to use the laptop for Internet access?
    >>
    >> I already have a desktop and access the Internet via my ISP's cable
    >> modem.
    >> want to get rid of the old desktop. In other words, will having just one
    >> wireless computer and a wireless router work to enable the laptop to
    > access
    >> the Internet.
    >>
    >> Thanks,
    >> Ed.