Different RAID protocols on the same drive.

transphenomenal

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2005
My question is if the following is posible and if it is, will I see a performance increase over 1 drive and how would I implement it?
I use 2 100Gb SATA drives. I wil make 4 partitions. First will be have the OS and will be RAID 1. The second will have the swap files and will be RAID 0. The third will have my games and other programs and will be RAID 0. The last will back up everything from the third partition using RAID 1. I will only be using 20Gb of memory total so space wont be a problem.

pat

Expert
Using two drives and partitioning to get two RAID stripes will hurt performance seriously than two drives each per RAID. How much, not sure.

Cannot even be done in hardware, because array has to be defined before any stuff being loaded to. And once the array is create, it is. RAID is drive based, not partition

Unless there is some trick that alow such config if you setup a software array within windows...

pat

Expert
My question is if the following is posible and if it is, will I see a performance increase over 1 drive and how would I implement it?
I use 2 100Gb SATA drives. I wil make 4 partitions. First will be have the OS and will be RAID 1. The second will have the swap files and will be RAID 0. The third will have my games and other programs and will be RAID 0. The last will back up everything from the third partition using RAID 1. I will only be using 20Gb of memory total so space wont be a problem.

I suggest to do a RAID 0 array and back up your personnal stuff on another small and cheap HDD. I don't see the point about backuping something which you have the CD install for.. it is already a backup. And since you only have 20 gigs for backup, it seems to me that you don't have as much to backup and it may fit on 1 or 2 dvds.. RAID 1 is not really for backuping stuff. you still risk to loose ebverything if a virus wipes your array or your controller decide to corrupt your data. RAID1 is mainly used for computer that has to be on always with 0 downtime. if one HDD fail, you most of the time can replace the disk thanks to hot swapping (with professional RAID card or SATA2 controller) without shutting of the whole system.

My best backup way is at directories level. I have a second drive that has copy of directories that have my personnal stuff. An application like second copy create a copy of one directory on another HDD and synch them together. so, if on drive ever fail, I still have the other to recover. But all of my important files are on cds or dvds