No Desktop and No Taskbar

August 12, 2004 2:37:59 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

I'm working on a Windows XP Home Edition PC that was infected with several instances of Spybot and Downloader and had a lot of
spyware on it. The PC has Norton AntiVirus installed on it and using the latest definitions for it along with the instructions
provided on Symantec's web site I cleared the PC of it's virus infections. Then I also installed the latest edition of Ad-Aware and
cleaned it of all of its spyware.

Despite all of that every time the PC boots up and you choose a profile to logon you get presented with a blank desktop that
includes no desktop icons and no taskbar. If I do Ctrl-Alt-Del and run explorer.exe the desktop then comes up and the PC appears to
run normally, but that's the only way to get the desktop up.

I also went through all of the Run sections of the registry with a fine tooth comb and there doesn't appear to be anything running
abnormally at this point. And, lastly, I made sure the Shell entry in the registry is correct.

Does anyone know how I can get the desktop restored to loading on its own?

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

More about : desktop taskbar

Anonymous
August 12, 2004 8:22:49 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Hi Karine,

You could try d/loading and running the fix that is available from Kelly
Theriot's site:
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm (scroll down to line 195,
right-hand column --> Restore Desktop Icons and Taskbar)

Regards,

--
Patti MacLeod
Microsoft MVP - Windows Shell/User

"Karine Rivet" <krivet(nospam)@viad.com> wrote in message
> I'm working on a Windows XP Home Edition PC that was infected with several
instances of Spybot and Downloader and had a lot of
> spyware on it. The PC has Norton AntiVirus installed on it and using the
latest definitions for it along with the instructions
> provided on Symantec's web site I cleared the PC of it's virus infections.
Then I also installed the latest edition of Ad-Aware and
> cleaned it of all of its spyware.
>
> Despite all of that every time the PC boots up and you choose a profile to
logon you get presented with a blank desktop that
> includes no desktop icons and no taskbar. If I do Ctrl-Alt-Del and run
explorer.exe the desktop then comes up and the PC appears to
> run normally, but that's the only way to get the desktop up.
>
> I also went through all of the Run sections of the registry with a fine
tooth comb and there doesn't appear to be anything running
> abnormally at this point. And, lastly, I made sure the Shell entry in the
registry is correct.

> Does anyone know how I can get the desktop restored to loading on its own?
>
> Any input would be greatly appreciated.

April 2, 2009 7:38:58 AM

I have the same problem facing with 3 of my PC's in the network and all I get is blank desktop even I cannot access desktop through task manager and some time if I login it just logs me off immediately. even if I press ctrl+alt+del It doesn't anything
Its annoying me a lot . please Help

April 4, 2009 11:22:32 PM

I remember having that problem!! I just ran system restore and that seemed to work!!
Hopefully it will for you aswell!
!