Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Final Fantasy 7 PC Now Available for Download

Last response: in News comments
August 15, 2012 7:46:00 AM

WOHOO, prepare to die, emerald weapon - I want your master materia!!!
Score
August 15, 2012 7:53:25 AM

I still don't get it...FF7 was on the PC eons ago...unless this is a HD remake, i don't see the point.
Score
Related resources
August 15, 2012 7:55:35 AM

Welcome everybody to 1998!
Score
August 15, 2012 7:57:43 AM

Casual action games for casual people and no its not rpg.
Score
Anonymous
August 15, 2012 7:58:59 AM

Too bad it'll still suck like it did back in 1998
Score
August 15, 2012 8:50:13 AM

jamesedgeuk2000Welcome everybody to 1998!

Good, that means FreeSpace 2 releases next year! ;) 
Score
August 15, 2012 8:59:10 AM

Still waiting for the FFIV & VI 3D remake. These two games are the only memorable ones that came out of Squaresoft.
Score
August 15, 2012 9:08:35 AM

jamesedgeuk2000Welcome everybody to 1998!

jamesedgeuk20001998

I have a facepalm the size of a Mako Crater right now...
God dammit, newfags..god damn you...>:\
Score
August 15, 2012 9:34:27 AM

Before I jump and buy it, I'll wait and read some reviews to see if it really has been updated. I'm worried about the cloud save that Square Enix is talking about, bcuz if that is the only way to save it, then I'm not buying it.
Score
August 15, 2012 10:17:08 AM

ojasGood, that means FreeSpace 2 releases next year!

Sadly i doubt it, the studios are busy making CoD 25 and milking the other franchises. When those franchises die we might see something more creative than the 95% overly streamlined games we see today.
Score
August 15, 2012 10:40:15 AM

darkavenger123I still don't get it...FF7 was on the PC eons ago...unless this is a HD remake, i don't see the point.

First line of this own article: "...accidentally let the HD re-release..."
Score
Anonymous
August 15, 2012 10:56:19 AM

How do you know it was the HD re-release, if nobody could play it?

The game is available now for purchase on PC in both the US and EU as far as I can see, with the exceptions of a few countries that seem to be having trouble buying it over at the EU store. Australia, New Zealand, and I believe Poland too, can't seem to buy it yet for some reason.
Score
August 15, 2012 11:04:38 AM

It seems I can not get it in South Africa. Way to go Square Enix. This is one good example why software pirating occurs.
Score
August 15, 2012 11:08:18 AM

I never really got to playing this game fully when I was a kid. I know Im a bit late, but I want to see what all the fuss is about. I doubt its any better than FF6, but if its as good as people(fanboys) say, then its worth my $10.
Score
August 15, 2012 11:25:58 AM

bustapr said:
I never really got to playing this game fully when I was a kid. I know Im a bit late, but I want to see what all the fuss is about. I doubt its any better than FF6, but if its as good as people(fanboys) say, then its worth my $10.

It's still good. Better than X in my opinion. Although it's no better than VI or IX (my personal favorite)
Score
August 15, 2012 11:43:36 AM

I still prefer the FFIII on SNES.
Score
August 15, 2012 11:59:16 AM

Wow. Video games have gone the way of Hollywood. Full of reboots and remakes of originals.
Score
August 15, 2012 12:16:57 PM

Not sure if anyone knows the answer to this, but does it include all the boss fights that were on the PSone version?

As I believe they missed out Ruby Weapon on the PC version, which is the reason why I replay it on my psx as opposed to my pc.
Score
August 15, 2012 12:26:08 PM

Hopefully they didn't use the 1998 PC version's soundtrack. MIDI music... eww.
Score
August 15, 2012 1:03:49 PM

funny, it looks like its not available to US customers, only UK customers! Bad reporting TH!
Score
August 15, 2012 1:22:39 PM

LuayStill waiting for the FFIV & VI 3D remake. These two games are the only memorable ones that came out of Squaresoft.

FF4 already has a 3d remake on the DS. I agree with you about wanting an FF6 remake though. Remakes of FF5 and Secret of Mana wouldn't hurt, and maybe even an official US translation of Seiken Densetsu 3.
Score
August 15, 2012 1:26:20 PM

They can rerelease Final Fantasy VII but they can't bring another chrono trigger?
Score
August 15, 2012 1:28:27 PM

ProstheusHow do you know it was the HD re-release, if nobody could play it?The game is available now for purchase on PC in both the US and EU as far as I can see, with the exceptions of a few countries that seem to be having trouble buying it over at the EU store. Australia, New Zealand, and I believe Poland too, can't seem to buy it yet for some reason.

It will never be available in South africa, there isnt even an option for my country. Joy...
Score
August 15, 2012 1:48:21 PM

rantocSadly i doubt it, the studios are busy making CoD 25 and milking the other franchises. When those franchises die we might see something more creative than the 95% overly streamlined games we see today.

I swear...in fact even back then...Interplay didn't market FS2 because they wanted to sell Star Trek...idiots...now we can't even have FS3...long live the SCP...
Score
August 15, 2012 1:49:49 PM

Cirdecusfunny, it looks like its not available to US customers, only UK customers! Bad reporting TH!

The "official website" only gives the price in british pounds and euros, but I see it available for purchase in the US here:
http://store.na.square-enix.com/DRHM/store?Action=Displ...
However, the biggest screenshot shown there is 751x525, which leaves me with serious doubts about this really being an HD remake.
Score
August 15, 2012 2:03:26 PM

MauveCloudThe "official website" only gives the price in british pounds and euros, but I see it available for purchase in the US here:http://store.na.square-enix.com/DR [...] =250845500However, the biggest screenshot shown there is 751x525, which leaves me with serious doubts about this really being an HD remake.

Gonna have to side with you on this, looks like a portal to make money off a very old game. I got it just for old school sake for 10 bucks you cant loose but it really piss me off that the link given in the article takes you to the EU site which does not allow US to buy. Really shitty reporting.
Score
August 15, 2012 2:34:26 PM

Got it for my PSOne, PC, PS3, PSP, and now again the PC HD.... You cant have enough of FF7

This will go nicely to my FF collection
Score
August 15, 2012 3:28:39 PM

Hmm,

I found a used copy at my local used game store.

Score
August 15, 2012 3:37:23 PM

sporkimusI still prefer the FFIII on SNES.

sporkimusFFIII on SNES.

sporkimusFFIII

I have a facepalm the size of the Kefka's final form right now...
God dammit, nooby kids..god dammit..>:\
Score
August 15, 2012 3:40:22 PM

john_4Should have re-released FF XII with updated graphics on the PC

Why would you remake something that aren't even close to being old?....kids these days, I swear...
Score
August 15, 2012 3:44:34 PM

Would totally buy this if I can play it on my Android!
Score
August 15, 2012 3:48:22 PM

Noobzilla771if I can play it on my Android!

If I'm not mistaken, you can already do that on some Android-based smartphones, with PSOne emulators.
If not, I guess you could buy it for Ouya, then.
Score
August 15, 2012 3:49:54 PM

Why not make this game Public Domain?

Shame copyright and patent laws have gotten absurd as of late.
Score
August 15, 2012 3:53:14 PM

darkavenger123I still don't get it...FF7 was on the PC eons ago...unless this is a HD remake, i don't see the point.

The old version doesn't work properly on anything except Windows 9X machines due to ancient DirectX support (I think version 5). They needed a re-release if anyone is to play it on a modern PC.
Score
August 15, 2012 3:55:17 PM

spookymanWhy not make this game Public Domain?

Because it's, obviously, not an abandon-ware type of a video game: it's still heavily supported by original creators, even more - I'd actually would say that it won't be totally abandoned in another 15~30 years, because it's one of the most profitable milking cows Square ever created, so far (not counting Chrono Trigger, Chrono Cross, FF VI, Parasite Eve and Final Fantasy Tactics).
Score
August 15, 2012 3:58:50 PM

bourgeoisdudeThe old version doesn't work properly on anything except Windows 9X

Played it perfectly on the 98 SE, on ME (I'm not shitting you), on 2000 (Service Pack 2) and on the XP (Service Pack 2 and Service Pack 3) - never had any problems, at all.
Score
August 15, 2012 4:00:29 PM

master_chenWhy would you remake something that aren't even close to being old?....kids these days, I swear...

13/14 years isn't old now? The game has existed for PC, a re-release in 2012 should at least see some improvements to the graphics and textures. Like someone pointed out already, why re-release it without any updates? It's pointless and gives no reason why one should buy it. Am I suppose to get excited that it now has achievements?
Score
Anonymous
August 15, 2012 4:02:07 PM

Don't buy it!! It contains the horrible MIDI-style musics, only in .OGG format. Terrible!!!
Score
August 15, 2012 4:04:41 PM

bllue13/14 years isn't old now? The game has existed for PC

Quote:
FF XII

Maybe you should learn to read what others write, with your eyes, and not with your ass.
Score
August 15, 2012 4:18:26 PM

Ummmm Chrono Trigger was redone for the NDS........ FFXII is the last of the FF to need an overhaul because well, it's only been out for what 5 years...

FFIV got some love on the PSP.....

Square Enix noted in an interview probably about a month or so ago that they will only do a full overhaul of FF7 should they come out with another FF to surpass the quality of the original.

To do a full overhaul of FF7 they feel would kill the series.

FF6 (or FF3 on the SNES) was given some love on the PSX and I do believe again on the PSP/NDS.

FF7 is one of, if not the the most, critically acclaimed FF games in the series. Don't you remember seeing those ads back in the day about why it was on PSX and not N64??? The critics loved it and us the fans just ate it up. It is still hailed as one of the best games ever made, period.
Score
August 15, 2012 4:49:04 PM

kiddagoatChrono Trigger was redone for the NDS

Aaand?

kiddagoatbecause well, it's only been out for, what, 5 years?

Aaand?

kiddagoatshould they come out with another FF to surpass the quality of the original.

Which would never happen.

kiddagoatFF6 (or FF3 on the SNES)

There's no such thing as FF III for SNES...kids these days, I swear...god, please give me the strength to not kill them in the berserk rage...I'm this close...deep breath..deep breath...
Score
August 15, 2012 5:06:43 PM

master_chenThere's no such thing as FF III for SNES...

FF6 was released in the US for the SNES as "Final Fantasy III", and I think that's what kiddagoat was talking about.

kiddagoatUmmmm Chrono Trigger was redone for the NDS........ FFXII is the last of the FF to need an overhaul because well, it's only been out for what 5 years...FFIV got some love on the PSP.....FF6 (or FF3 on the SNES) was given some love on the PSX and I do believe again on the PSP/NDS.

I don't think FF4 made it to the PSP, but it got a 3d version on the DS. Chrono Trigger added some usage of the touch screen, but based on the screenshots I've seen, I don't think there were any graphical improvements over the SNES version. Some of them got PS1 re-releases in Final Fantasy Chronicles and Final Fantasy Anthology, but those were thinly-disguised emulators with delays in menus and saving, and though they added some nice-looking movies, the rest of the games had no graphical improvements.
Score
August 15, 2012 5:40:39 PM

MauveCloudFF6 was released in the US for the SNES as "Final Fantasy III", and I think that's what kiddagoat was talking about.

I'm all out of facepalms...must reload the clip now...

There is no Final Fantasy III for SNES. There is for Famicom/NES, but not for SNES.
Such thing as "Final Fantasy III for SNES" is nonexistent. Just like "Tales of Destiny 2 for PSOne".
God dammit, kids...my head hurts because of your newfaggotry and utter lack of experience... >_
Score
August 15, 2012 5:45:33 PM

master_chenI'm all out of facepalms...must reload the clip now...There is no Final Fantasy III for SNES. There is for Famicom/NES, but not for SNES.Such thing as "Final Fantasy III for SNES" is nonexistent.

I beg to differ. "Final Fantasy III for SNES" is not nonexistent, it's just a misnamed FF6:
http://www.gamespot.com/final-fantasy-iii-1994/
I have the cartridge, so I know what I'm talking about.
Score
August 15, 2012 6:46:24 PM

Schoolboy morons will be morons, I guess.

That's it. I'm done. No more. I'm going on vacation.
Score
August 15, 2012 7:41:02 PM

Is there anything new about it? or is it the same as playing it on an emulator at whatever resolution you want? XD
Score
Anonymous
August 15, 2012 7:45:58 PM

lol @ people saying that only kids call the sixth Final Fantasy game "FF3." The only "kids" that call it FF3 are the ones who have been calling it that since it was released on the SNES. Those "kids" are now like 30+. Mostly it's those who have first experienced it on an emu (i.e. actual kids) are the ones who call it FF6. Them and '90s era Japanophiles (like myself).

This is a very old rage guys. Let it go...
Score
August 15, 2012 7:48:13 PM

I could have sworn there was a Final Fantasy for the SNES. I mean I look at my box, and I swear this is what I am looking at. It wasn't a misnamed box. It was RELEASED in the U.S. as FFIII because it was the third Final Fantasy game released in North America.
Score
!