Windows says i have 4.00 gb ram but only 3gb is used.

Status
Not open for further replies.

yusufloserjozu

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2011
I'm very sorry if anyone is exasperated by the repetitiveness of this question but i'm desperate to know.
My computer is a machine that has 3gb DDR3 ram and a 1gb graphics card.
I've recently installed windows 7 (32 bit) and upon looking at the system through control panel, i found that windows detects 4.00gb ram but is only using 3.00gb.
Can anyone explain this situation?
Does the '4gb' detected by windows include the graphics card memory?
Am i able to ignore this and be able to fully use both my 3gb DDR3 and 1gb graphics card?

COLGeek

Cybernaut
First, the system memory and the memory on your video card are separate and distinct from one another. They do different things.

Second, 32-bit operating systems can only directly see 3.25GB of physical memory (keeping this simple). The rest of the memory is still there, but Windows can't really take advantage of (32-bit version limitation).

If you were using a 64-bit version of Windows, your system would "see" all of the memory. Still, not an issue.

You have nothing to be concerned about.

Good luck!

COLGeek

Cybernaut

BTW, how is your AWESOME GPU working out?

yusufloserjozu

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2011

YOU'RE THE GOD OF THIS SITE! EVERYONE TREAT COLGEEK, A.K.A GOD OF 'TOMSHARDWARE' WITH MASSIVE RESPECT!!!!!

Thanks for the awesome GPU!!!! It's running at cool speeds and hasn't choked at all!!!!!

Edit: so windows is using ALL of the 3gb DDr3 ram and AWESOME (thanks!) 1gb graphics card?

yusufloserjozu

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2011
I've found out (from the person i got it from) that the machine has 4gb DDR3 ram (yay?). So i've just installed windows 7 (64 bit). But still, the same issue, 4gb installed memory, 3gb usable.
I guess i have a couple of questions.
How can i find out through bios how much Ram there is PHYSICALLY (if you reccomend just opening up the computer and checking, i'll do that)?
How do i resolve the problem so that windows can see all my 4gb ram?

Thanks man, you've been awesome!

COLGeek

Cybernaut

Where are you looking for the amount of memory in Windows?

In the BIOS, there is usually an area that shows the amount of memory installed. Usually right on the first screen presented.

There are also some mobos that have issues reporting memory over 3.25GB. What make/model of mobo are you using?

Download and install speccy (just google it) and see what it reports.

yusufloserjozu

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2011

Thanks for the reply :).

i am looking at the amount of memory through the control panel

I've looked through the bios and i can't really find anything just stuff about DCT timings and DCT unganged/ganged (i'll check again).

i am using a ECS MCP61M-M3 motherboard

speccy reports

Memory slots
Total memory slots 4
Used memory slots 2
Free memory slots 2
Memory
Type DDR3
Size 3072 MBytes
Channels # Dual
DRAM Frequency 535.8 MHz
CAS# Latency (CL) 7 clocks
RAS# to CAS# Delay (tRCD) 7 clocks
RAS# Precharge (tRP) 7 clocks
Cycle Time (tRAS) 20 clocks
Bank Cycle Time (tRC) 27 clocks
Command Rate (CR) 1T

I doubt these results are valid though. As using avg pc tuneup (same type, detects 2gb sticks in 2 slots (total 4gb). My reason for doubting speccy is that i only have 2 ram slots, not 4.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Odd. Looks like only 3GB is actually installed, one 1GB and 2GB DIMM. BTW, don't worry about the number of slots thing (the ATX version of your board has 4 slots and this is just a carryover from that).

In your BIOS, is your memory manually configured or set to AUTO or DEFAULT?

yusufloserjozu

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2011

auto

COLGeek

Cybernaut

So one of 2 things is going on. There is only 3GB installed -OR- one DIMM is defective and only showing 1GB of 2GB.

Shut the system down and remove and reseat your memory (swap slots for grins) to see what happens. Make sure you firmly push them into place and that your retention clips are securely fastened.

yusufloserjozu

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2011

Yep, turns out he lied. I checked the ram disks and they were 1gb and 2gb respectively. I'm sorry to have wasted your time! I just hate opening my computer. He's made me extremely mad (wasted windows 7 64 bit). Thanks again. You couldn't be nicer (literally).

P.S Sorry, but please can you explain why windows identifies 4gb installed and 3gb usable if i only have 3gb of ram? thanks again.

Edit: Erm please can you help me out with a new discovery.
(on windows 7)
- i opened task manager
- clicked 'performance' tab
- pressed 'resource monitor' button
- the data at the bottom bar was as follows

Hardware reserved : 1025mb, In use : 1008mb, Modified: 90mb, Standby: 782mb, Free:1189

How do i alleviate the hardware from using that 1025mb ram? In other words, how can i configure the above so that Hardware reserved = 0 mb?

Or is the 'hardware reserved' ram just denoting to the Graphics card's dedicated memory?

Thanks Colgeek, AKA KIND COMPUTER GURU

COLGeek

Cybernaut
You can't make hardware reserved 0. That is used to manage devices by the system. Yours seems to be quite high, if indeed 1025 is reserved. Mine, is like 67MB. The other numbers are fine. Also, these numbers do not include the video card memory.

Try this, go into Catalyst (I assume you installed with the new video card) and see how much dedicated and shared memory it reports. Also, look in your BIOS and see how much memory your built-in video has configured for it.

yusufloserjozu

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2011
By catalyst you mean catalyst control center right? I just installed that literally just after hearing it (3 hours before your message) and i might sound stupid but how do i find out how much dedicated and shared memory there is please?

Thanks for your concise and quick replies!

yusufloserjozu

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2011
I thought so. clicking the hardware only gives me information regarding the dedicated memory.
memory size 1024mb
memory type DDR3

Thanks!

Edit: thought this may be useful. dxdiag reports that the approximate total memory of the graphics card is 2297mb.

Another Edit:
I right clicked desktop and then clicked 'personalize'
clicked display
- clicked change display settings
- clicked advanced settings then observed the following.
total available graphics memory: 2303mb
dedicated video memory: 1024mb
system video memory: 0mb
Shared video memory: 1279mb

If it would increase performance of the system, how would i mitigate the shared video memory to a more negligible/diminutive size?

Thanks! you've been awesome

COLGeek

Cybernaut

Actually, you really don't need to do anything. Your system will manage the memory it needs as it needs it. In your case, unless you are running a high-end game running at higher settings, your system will likely never use the shared amount of video memory.

All that being said, is there an apparent issue you are trying to resolve (performance-wise)? If so, I would suggest you go to nvidia.com and download and install the latest chipset drivers for your system. After these (see below) are installed. Go over to ati.com and download and install the latest ATI drivers (see below) and Media Codec Pack (Optional tab on page):

Nvidia Link:
http://www.nvidia.com/object/win7-winvista-64bit-266.58-whql-driver.html

ATI Link:
http://sites.amd.com/us/game/downloads/Pages/radeon_win7-64.aspx#1

Otherwise, I think you are good to go. Good luck!

yusufloserjozu

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2011

Thanks! you've been very helpful! I'm really sorry to do this to you, (you're being so helpful). But i've got another issue regarding my older desktop model.
Please, if you may, can you help me?
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/267310-14-after-changing-hard-drive-black-screen

COLGeek

Cybernaut

Done! See other thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS