Sign in with
Your question

BIOS flash, is it FATAL failure

Last response: in Motherboards
December 3, 2005 6:03:44 PM

Hi!

I bought the ASUS K8N -SLI Deluxe secondhand and soon realise that it is perhaps not stable with XP. Some software installations crash. I decided to upgrade BIOS (as I have been successfull twice before). It seems that there are problems with this mobo
http://support.asus.com/download/download.aspx?SLanguage=en-us, search for SLI deluxe.

According to the instruction, I first update the chipset to version V6.65. The I use ASUS update utility (Windows) to flash the BIOS from a file (I did this way only before). I download the BIOS version 1015 (at the beginning, the BIOS version is 1006). Everything went fine and it asked me to reboot. I said Yes. Then the compoter reboot but the screen did not start ( the LED is not green). The CPU, all fan and even the CD-ROM is activated during the boot up.

So what has happened. Does it simply mean the mobo is dead.

Thanks
December 3, 2005 6:40:36 PM

You're probably screwed. Try popping the battery out, wait a minute and pop it back in. If that doesn't work, you could pop the BIOS chip out, send it to Tmod and have it reprogrammed. If you live on the west coast, turnaround is a day or two and it only cost around $10.
December 4, 2005 7:10:25 AM

It is perhaps dead. In fact, It was my carelessness that I use the Windows XP CD disc, that come with an HP laptop. The disc say CLEARLY:" Only for distribution for HP or Compaq PC" but I ahve used it and saw no problem. Do you think some changes made for the CD could lead to this situation.
Related resources
December 5, 2005 1:43:06 PM

its not dead -

Some of you guys gotta take computer classes or something ...

make sure the PC is off, turn the switch in the back to off,unplug the pc - wait a few minutes. Wait a few minutes.

Plug it back, turn the switch back on, and then turn it on. It should boot. Go into the BIOS, restore system defaults - wallah - magic wand.

Quote:
Hi!

I bought the ASUS K8N -SLI Deluxe secondhand and soon realise that it is perhaps not stable with XP. Some software installations crash. I decided to upgrade BIOS (as I have been successfull twice before). It seems that there are problems with this mobo
http://support.asus.com/download/download.aspx?SLanguage=en-us, search for SLI deluxe.

According to the instruction, I first update the chipset to version V6.65. The I use ASUS update utility (Windows) to flash the BIOS from a file (I did this way only before). I download the BIOS version 1015 (at the beginning, the BIOS version is 1006). Everything went fine and it asked me to reboot. I said Yes. Then the compoter reboot but the screen did not start ( the LED is not green). The CPU, all fan and even the CD-ROM is activated during the boot up.

Thanks
December 5, 2005 1:48:20 PM

Also, did you move your PC around at all? That sometimes loosens components and causes instability. If something is loose the motherboard detects that and it won't turn on. So check that also by reseating the cpu, RAM, and cards =)

Quote:
Hi!

Thanks
December 5, 2005 3:08:32 PM

What do you mean unplug the mobo. Is it that to take it out of mounting point. Actually the PC behaved a bit strangely before I flash the BIOS. When start up, it said that Chipsset fan is off or at low speed, can disable at the Setup. I disable chipset fan warning as actually there is no fan for chipset, just huge jheatsink. But it takes several time for the BIOS to save perhaps as it continued the warning for several time more.
December 5, 2005 6:16:33 PM

Make sure you clear the cmos before you flash, it could have some conflicting settings with the new bios....the board isnt dead like the guy said before. Almost all new mobo bios are retard proof and will recover itself in case of an accident by mashing certain keys on bootup (read the manual to see what these are)
December 5, 2005 8:08:06 PM

You are right. Asus has CrashFree Utility. Reading the manual, it seems so beautiful that you do not about BIOS corrupt anymore. If something wrong, put the CD that comes with mainboard into CD at boot time and it auto flas the original BIOS.No key smashing required.

But the problem is that there is nothing on the screen.Even that there is problem with display but the BIOS recovery is actually done, the next time I boot, no changes at all.
a b V Motherboard
December 7, 2005 11:19:37 AM

Does the computer not POST or not boot into Windows?
December 7, 2005 10:48:46 PM

not POST
December 7, 2005 10:51:17 PM

The monitor is not activated. Just black screen with RED LED in the power button.
December 18, 2005 4:21:01 AM

First, check all your connections, especially the monitor connection to the vid card and the vid cards seating in its slot.

Next,

could it be your video card and not the Mobo?
December 19, 2005 1:49:43 AM

Quote:
The monitor is not activated. Just black screen with RED LED in the power button.

Did you reset the BIOS by removing the battery or using the jumper AND UNPLUGGING THE POWER CORD FROM THE WALL SOCKET DURING THIS OPERATION!!!

After a flash, it is advised to reset the BIOS and then power it on again.
December 19, 2005 7:35:55 PM

This is normal behavior when updating the BIOS. It happens but not all the time so it won't appear to be normal.

unplug your computer for a few minutes, turn off the switch on your PSU for a few minutes, and then plug it back in - turn switch on. It should be fine. Go in the BIOS and restore optimal defaults and then reboot. Go in the BIOS again and set the appropriate options.

Quote:
Hi!

Thanks
!