NT Svr & 2000 clients screen saver

I have a NT server with 2000 client machines. I need to implement a password
protected screen saver for a time out of 30 minutes on 10 machines and 15
minutes on the remainder. I have been spending hours on this trying to get
it to work.
This is what i have done:-
Created a reg file on a floppy to insert into the clients a: - this didnt
work because of registry permissions
I then tried to put a reg file into the users logon script on the server -
this didnt work because of registry permissions
I am now looking at altering the registry permission of each user but am
thinking their must be a better way to do this.
Do I use poledit or system policy?
I tried to manually change this on each users pc under the registry KEYNAME
"control panel\desktop"
Can someone help im just pulling my hair out trying to get this to work

I'm, assuming you are joined to a DOMAIN, you can right click the file and
choose "run as" and enter administrative credentials to append the registry.