DVI input as well as out (HDMI would be too much to ask for)

RamaX

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2005
Do any graphic cards support DVI in as well as out. I have an HDTV directtv recvr that id like to hookup to PC im building. Even if i cant record HDTV id like proper throughput. As far as i know, composite in will degrade the signal from digital to analog, which would then be goofy to output back as dig (i know many cards have DVI out, which doesnt make sense to me if they dont have it in first). Or if not ill take HDMI input, but that seems to much to ask for hehe.

pickxx

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2004
DVI out because it is using the res settings for DVI....it has nothign to do with what is going in and out.

i know of NOTHING that has DVI in.....

Do any graphic cards support DVI in as well as out.

Yes, but they are not cheap, need serious power to run properly. And likely wouldn't do what you want to do. They also are simply input card, not multi-purpose card like an AIW.

Best bet is to get a PVR with Firewire out, so you can offload video. Not sure if DirectTV has anything like that.

mpjesse

Splendid
The cheapest solution is to buy an HDTV tuner card if you want HD on your computer. They use cable in. You can hook up a OTA antennae to it and get crap for free. If you DirecTV HDTV tuner box has cable out- you can do it. But last I checked, most of them have DVI, HDMI, component and composite out- not cable.

ATI has one for about $120 i believe.

DirecTV's HDTV line up ain't all that great anyways. (no one's is IMO). You should be able to get FOX, CBS, NBC, ABC, and others in HD where you live... unless you live in some backward part of the country where they don't broadcast in HD.

I'm assuming you live in a decent size urban area in the USA.

-mpjesse

RamaX

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2005
We moved from Queens to northwest NJ 4 yrs ago, and i still commute often to the city for work and play, which is why i cant quite get out of the habit of saying im a NYer. But as for signal..blech~! thats why i went Directv..i couldnt get ANY over the air signal when i first moved up here..not any of the NYC stations came in. I cant even imagine getting an HDTV broadcast hehe.
As for cables, im still befuddled as to how coax can carry the HDTV signal to the drcttv recvr and be able to output HDTV so well. Your right tho i check my box and its either HDMI/DVI (easy cable convert) or composite. It has S video out, but it wont carry the 1080i signal out, its only for 480p out signal.