Hide Programs entry on limited account start menu

zaphod

I have made a limited account for a young child but would really like to be
able to hide the programs entry in the start menu. Ideally I would be able
to toggle it easily so I could see it from the limited account if I needed
to. I have tried switching on the hide attribute of the all users and
limited account programs folder but even with show hidden files on the all
users part of the programs folder is also hidden from my start menu admin
account. I don't really want to move all the all users program entries to my
account programs but would like a way to just turn off the programs entry in
the start menu as you can for control panel et al. Thanks.

--
Regards

XP Pro?

You can use the Group Policy editor (Gpedit.msc) under the following
location to configure Start menu features:
User Configuration \ Administrative Templates \ Start Menu and Taskbar

Note: Except when noted, all of these registry settings are under the
following registry key:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explore
The registry entries are DWORD values. A value of 1 is enabled, and a value
of 0 is disabled.

Policy: Remove common program groups from Start Menu
list on the Start menu.
Registry Value: "NoCommonGroups"

[[Removes items in the All Users profile from the Programs menu on the Start
menu.
By default, the Programs menu contains items from the All Users profile and
items from the user's profile. If you enable this setting, only items in the
user's profile appear in the Programs menu.
Tip: To see the Program menu items in the All Users profile, on the system
drive, go to Documents and Settings\All Users (WINNT)\Start Menu\Programs.]]

Remove All Programs list from the Start Menu

[[If you enable this setting, the "All Programs" item is removed from the
simple Start menu.
If you disable this setting or do not configure it, the "All Programs" item
remains on the simple Start menu.]]

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.
Wes

In news:uz$Z2WJgEHA.4092@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl,
Zaphod <noreply@mail.pls> hunted and pecked:
> I have made a limited account for a young child but would really like
> to be able to hide the programs entry in the start menu. Ideally I
> would be able to toggle it easily so I could see it from the limited
> account if I needed to. I have tried switching on the hide attribute
> of the all users and limited account programs folder but even with
> show hidden files on the all users part of the programs folder is
> also hidden from my start menu admin account. I don't really want to
> move all the all users program entries to my account programs but
> would like a way to just turn off the programs entry in the start
> menu as you can for control panel et al. Thanks.
>
> --
> Regards

If you want to hide all of the programs from this young child simply move
all of the contents of the programs folder inside the start menu folder
inside the folder named All Users in the Documents and settings folder into
each other account's Programs folder. Make sure to copy those files into
each and every account that you want them to be seen. This will make it so
only the other accounts can see the contents of the Programs folder. Then i
recommend puting shortcuts on the desktop of the childs account or using the
run command to start programs if you absolutly need to in this limited
account. Note that most of the programs that you will have on the computer
may not be usable in the limited account depending on what type they are.