bigger nt 4.0 partition

steve

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2003

I am trying to install Nt 4.0 on a larger then 4 gb
partition,when i used partition magic to partition this
large drive to 10 gb and 20 gb partitiion size, and then
tried to install NT on it.
The NT install process could not recognize the partition
size and flips out.IS there any way i could do make NT
install on a bigger then 4 GB partition ?

Thanks

The end of the system partition must not be further than 7.8 gB from the
start of the drive. What is the exact text of the error message you receive?

--
Regards,

Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

"steve" wrote:
|I am trying to install Nt 4.0 on a larger then 4 gb
| partition,when i used partition magic to partition this
| large drive to 10 gb and 20 gb partitiion size, and then
| tried to install NT on it.
| The NT install process could not recognize the partition
| size and flips out.IS there any way i could do make NT
| install on a bigger then 4 GB partition ?
|
| Thanks

Try booting from a win2000 cd if you have one. run
installation to the screen where you can set the partition.
create the partition (no idea how large the partition can
be, but its more than 4gb) and then break up the
installation.
use yout nt cd to install windows and use the created
partition.

Bruce

It's possible to install NT 4.0 on partitions larger than 4 GB.
However the boot/system partition cannot be larger than 7.8GB.

So you need to either reduce the 10GB partition to 7.8GB or
add an additional small partition as the first partition
(e.g. 0.5 GB, 10 GB and 19.5GB).

The additional small partition could be as small as 250K. It only
needs to hold Ntdetect.com, NTLDR, Boot.ini, and Ntbootdd.sys.

However, I when I did this I made it large enough to hold a
minimal NT installation as I could use this installation to
create the partitions for the main installation and it can be
used to recover files if the main installation ever won't boot.

See http://support.microsoft.com/kb/224526
Windows NT 4.0 supports maximum of 7.8-GB system partition

and http://support.microsoft.com/kb/197667
Installing Windows NT on a Large IDE Hard Disk