Switching between DVI and Analog on the same video card.

Buckshot041

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2002
I currently have a 19inch CRT monitor that is hooked up to a KVM via analog cable.

I am going to get a 19inch LCD monitor that has DVI capability. I know I cant use the KVM with the DVI connection, but is it possible that I could use the DVI from the monitor to the video card.. AND hook up the analog from the video card to the KVM (back to the analog port on the monitor). Whenever I need to use the KVM, can I just go into the Windows XP display properties, and switch from DVI to Analog?

Lastly, is it possible to put a shortcut on my desktop to perform the DVI to Analog switch?

Thanks!

pauldh

Illustrious
The Samsung 191T I use at work has a button on the front panel to switch from Analog to DVI, making it easy to have two sources hooked up and switch at the push of a button. (or in your case two buttons; KVM for KB&M, and Monitor for DVI & Analog) Anyway, i'd think this might want to be a feature you look into before buying.

twall

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2005
LG L1930B has a dvi-analog switch on the front panel. I never tried doing it with the same video card, but it works with two different sources - (desktop-laptop)

Buckshot041

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2002
I have my eyes set on the Samsung 930B, which has MagicTune software, that allows switching between digital and analog. I eventually want to put another 930B next to my 1st, but thats not going to happen very soon.

Thanks for your help.