Battlefield 3 Premium Edition Coming September

Status
Not open for further replies.

randomizer

Champion
With each DLC pack running you $15 apiece and five DLC planned in total, getting your hands on Battlefield: Premium, which contains all DLC, for $40 almost seems like a deal.

No, it just shows how overpriced the DLCs are. ;)

I've never been able to get BF3 to launch since I bought it (no, it is not minimised). I'm sure that if I cut out Origin and Battlelog I'd be able to, but there are just two many rusty links in the chain to getting the game to start reliably on all systems. I'm glad I didn't pay full price for it.

phamhlam

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2011
The game is so good and DICE puts a lot of work into it. I don't think $15 is too much. Have anyone seen Armored Kill. The maps are amazing.

assasin32

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2008
I miss the days of old before DLC. When we had expansion pack which were almost and entire new game added or was (guild wars for example) instead of $15 for a few maps and a couple guns so we go "ohh shiney" and pay up to keep up with the competition.

walter87

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2011
[citation][nom]assasin32[/nom]I miss the days of old before DLC. When we had expansion pack which were almost and entire new game added or was (guild wars for example) instead of $15 for a few maps and a couple guns so we go "ohh shiney" and pay up to keep up with the competition.[/citation]
Sadly that day is long gone and will never see anything like that from all the major developers/publishers. Ridiculous skin/weapon addons for a couple bucks each or $15 for map packs on CoD and BF3. People need to speak with their wallets, but unfortunately most of petty consumers willing to pay for that letting the developers get away with and and persist and push petty DLC to even further lows to see just how much they can sqeeze out of the consumer.

Atleast their are still developers like Valve and CD Projekt that deliver free DLC. A bit of a shame too considering CD Projekt is one of the last decent developers out there and among the number 1 pirated games.

bigdragon

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2011
Toms is looking more and more like an advertising solution for Blizzard and EA. I'm disappointed. Where is the mention of all the hacking? You can get killed by another player's ammo boxes from across the map on the PC version. On the 360 there's a new team wipe hack. Anyone coming into this game at rank 1 is severely disadvantaged even with an unlock pack. The game is designed to compel you to pay for hacks. Let's also not forget how badly implemented this game is. I have RAID 0 SSDs and it still takes the game 2 to 5 minutes to get onto a server due to all the logins it has to do to EA's unreliable backend. Normally it always fails the first time with "could not connect to EA online".

BF3 is a huge ripoff. It's best to be avoided. Hell, I bought it to play with 9 other friends. We never got to work as a team and actually spent most of our time avoiding each other because of the unlock disparities. The game would never put us on the same team or even in the same squads despite being in a party. I remember having to avoid shooting at a friend's helicopter because he didn't have flares unlocked and getting killed while trying to figure out how to revive someone (I didn't have defibs unlocked apparently). If you don't have the game by now it's best to avoid it even if they give it away for free. Go back and play that wonderful co-op mod for BF2 where you could have 92 people on a server, custom maps, and every unlock.

iamtheking123

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2010
@bigdragon, I've got 25 hours in the multiplayer so far and haven't had a single issue with hackers or not being able to get into a server. I too have raided SSDs, and I just timed it, it took me 1 minute 28 seconds to start Origin, start Internet Explorer, login to battlelog, join a server, and spawn. Never ever seen "could not connect to EA online". Sounds like you need a better computer.

aznguy0028

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2007
[citation][nom]bigdragon[/nom]BF3 is a huge ripoff. It's best to be avoided. Hell, I bought it to play with 9 other friends. We never got to work as a team and actually spent most of our time avoiding each other because of the unlock disparities. The game would never put us on the same team or even in the same squads despite being in a party. I remember having to avoid shooting at a friend's helicopter because he didn't have flares unlocked and getting killed while trying to figure out how to revive someone (I didn't have defibs unlocked apparently). If you don't have the game by now it's best to avoid it even if they give it away for free. Go back and play that wonderful co-op mod for BF2 where you could have 92 people on a server, custom maps, and every unlock.[/citation]
I have over 200 hours on BF3 and I never had any of your problems, my M4 SSD loads it up very quickly. It sounds to me that the problem lies behind the computer with you and your friends. Not knowing the game/what to do is not an excuse for saying it's bad. My friends and I are always in the same squad, even when we are on opposite teams, just switch over, unlock your squad and everyone is good to go.

buckcm

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2009
[citation][nom]bigdragon[/nom]Toms is looking more and more like an advertising solution for Blizzard and EA. I'm disappointed. Where is the mention of all the hacking? You can get killed by another player's ammo boxes from across the map on the PC version. On the 360 there's a new team wipe hack. Anyone coming into this game at rank 1 is severely disadvantaged even with an unlock pack. The game is designed to compel you to pay for hacks. Let's also not forget how badly implemented this game is. I have RAID 0 SSDs and it still takes the game 2 to 5 minutes to get onto a server due to all the logins it has to do to EA's unreliable backend. Normally it always fails the first time with "could not connect to EA online".BF3 is a huge ripoff. It's best to be avoided. Hell, I bought it to play with 9 other friends. We never got to work as a team and actually spent most of our time avoiding each other because of the unlock disparities. The game would never put us on the same team or even in the same squads despite being in a party. I remember having to avoid shooting at a friend's helicopter because he didn't have flares unlocked and getting killed while trying to figure out how to revive someone (I didn't have defibs unlocked apparently). If you don't have the game by now it's best to avoid it even if they give it away for free. Go back and play that wonderful co-op mod for BF2 where you could have 92 people on a server, custom maps, and every unlock.[/citation]

You're full of crap. This isn't to say EA's back-end is perfect, but it works fine mostly for me. I don't have problems with hackers. They did a far better job on BF3 than BC2.

G

As much as I hate to defend EA, with premium, you're actually getting a whole exp pack / full game over the course of nearly a year. 20 maps, lots of new guns, vehicles, etc.

leeashton

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2011
[citation][nom]iamtheking123[/nom]@bigdragon, I've got 25 hours in the multiplayer so far and haven't had a single issue with hackers or not being able to get into a server. I too have raided SSDs, and I just timed it, it took me 1 minute 28 seconds to start Origin, start Internet Explorer, login to battlelog, join a server, and spawn. Never ever seen "could not connect to EA online". Sounds like you need a better computer.[/citation]
true mines the same as yours

greghome

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2009
[citation][nom]Bf3plyr[/nom]As much as I hate to defend EA, with premium, you're actually getting a whole exp pack / full game over the course of nearly a year. 20 maps, lots of new guns, vehicles, etc.[/citation]
Problem is it's like you have to pay for Premium to get the Full Game + Counter Strike.

admittedly, I myself have bought Premium and have just realised it was a bit of a mistake considering I don't even know the quality of the next 2 expansions and I don't even play Close Quarters

giovanni86

Distinguished
May 10, 2007
I have 250+ hours in game and i can honestly say its a great game, i like it, i play it, haven't had a issue with Origin and with each new update to origin it's starting to look and feel like what steam was back when it first launched. My machine is 4 years old but still has what it takes to at least launch the game on Ultra although my memory does slow me down( 4GB's =S) But besides that seeing them drop the price doesn't hurt me much, whatever it takes to get people in. I've lost tons of money from not waiting, but theres a win and a loss to it from my view. Everyone's different so i take the price drop with a grain of salt since there aren't very many titles of games I'm really looking forward to, the only bug i have is like everyone else just in all honesty it won't ever go away this whole DLC thing so you can boycott it all your life and die and never play any DLC but this DLC i bought it day one for the game because i honestly am a big fan of BF and its worth every penny to me. My opinions expressed are solely mine and don't cover everyones perspective on the matter so don't take it personally.

goodguy713

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2009
in reality origin isnt much more different then steam is .. and battle field 3 is freaking awesome .. the only thing that really ever bothers me about that game is that that hard core is not really hard core and that its more like regular mode and regular mode is more like noob super easy mode a full clip plus a few rounds just to kill some one short of a rocket or grenade and even then your best bet is to either run them over or blow them up with c4 .. they have serious balance issues in that game .. but thats my only gripe because like vehicles weapons and all that stuff graphics are great its just he mechanics of it that they keep tweaking for people who cry about every little issue .. and ruin the game for every one..

G

Level up pack? Leveling up was the only reason I played the game! The day I maxed out all the vehicle upgrades I stopped playing. BF3 really isnt all that great. Not even close to BF2.

halls

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2010
I was really upset when they announced this because I had just upgraded to Premium a week before. Oh well, win some lose some. Can't wait for Armored Kill.

[citation][nom]bigdragon[/nom]Toms is looking more and more like an advertising solution for Blizzard and EA. I'm disappointed. Where is the mention of all the hacking? You can get killed by another player's ammo boxes from across the map on the PC version. On the 360 there's a new team wipe hack. Anyone coming into this game at rank 1 is severely disadvantaged even with an unlock pack. The game is designed to compel you to pay for hacks. Let's also not forget how badly implemented this game is. I have RAID 0 SSDs and it still takes the game 2 to 5 minutes to get onto a server due to all the logins it has to do to EA's unreliable backend. Normally it always fails the first time with "could not connect to EA online".BF3 is a huge ripoff. It's best to be avoided. Hell, I bought it to play with 9 other friends. We never got to work as a team and actually spent most of our time avoiding each other because of the unlock disparities. The game would never put us on the same team or even in the same squads despite being in a party. I remember having to avoid shooting at a friend's helicopter because he didn't have flares unlocked and getting killed while trying to figure out how to revive someone (I didn't have defibs unlocked apparently). If you don't have the game by now it's best to avoid it even if they give it away for free. Go back and play that wonderful co-op mod for BF2 where you could have 92 people on a server, custom maps, and every unlock.[/citation] I don't have problems connecting to servers but a friend has the same issues you described. He has to start the game 2 or 3 times before been able to play.
The hackers I hate them with passion, those ones that kill you thru walls, cannot be killed or those that are able to knife you while shooting at you.

pocketdrummer

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2007
[citation][nom]Bf3plyr[/nom]As much as I hate to defend EA, with premium, you're actually getting a whole exp pack / full game over the course of nearly a year. 20 maps, lots of new guns, vehicles, etc.[/citation]

I'd rather see if BF4 is a better game before purchasing. That is the LAST game I pre-order.

The industry is moving toward that model now. They remove parts of the game and give you the choice of spending $60 to pre-order something before seeing if it's any good, OR buying it after release for $60 plus $15 or whatever to put the game back together.

All it would take to reverse these terrible business decisions (along with Pay-2-Win games) is to simply stop taking part. But, the majority of gamers out there can't seem to live without their next fix, so the rest of us suffer.

bigdragon

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2011
[citation][nom]jojesa[/nom]I don't have problems connecting to servers but a friend has the same issues you described. He has to start the game 2 or 3 times before been able to play.The hackers I hate them with passion, those ones that kill you thru walls, cannot be killed or those that are able to knife you while shooting at you.[/citation]
Yes, it takes several tries to get into a server. That "disconnected from EA online message" is very persistent. It's been a problem since day 1 with the game and on 2 different computers. With the new premium thing it's become impossible to play on populated servers due to constantly getting kicked back in the queue. All of my friends stopped playing the first quarter of this year and I haven't touched the game since either. It's just not fun. You can't communicate with people in game because they never implemented VOIP, there are no orders (no commander, poorly implemented squad orders) to give direction and teamwork to the game, and there are a ridiculous number of non-obvious hackers due to the lack of a spectate mode. You have to have a hack to know how many are truly doing it. There's one particular tool that can tell you when someone is looking at you and displays a percentage. There are a lot of people that jump from 0 to 100 unlike normal players that fluctuate -- the difference is obvious once you try the tools.

I really like BF2, but BF3 is just terrible. In BF2 we had neat things like custom maps, VOIP, co-op mod, vehicle mods, community-developed balance changes, private servers, and more. None of that is possible in BF3. The most glaring part of BF3 is that if you jump onto an empty server to play with a friend or perhaps practice with the aircraft it is possible that someone will notice and then DICE will ban you from all EA games as a result. This happened to myself and a friend in January. It took us over a week to get it sorted out because DICE banned our EA accounts locking out every non-BF3 EA game that used the accounts. We were accused of stat padding for trying to have fun with helicopters. A couple thousand 1v1 points was considered stat padding (it took tens of thousands to rank up), although this shortly before the shortcut packs were announced.

BF3 is a game that plays you. It's currently the worst game I ever paid full price for. I can't say it enough -- avoid BF3.

spartanmk2

Honorable
May 11, 2012
While I do I like BF3, announcing BF4 when BF3 hasnt even a year old is like going to the grocery store in july and already seeing christmas decorations on sale.

Status
Not open for further replies.